PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow!!! Gmail's Gonna Be A Tb, Not A Gb

mastermesh
05-19-2004, 02:02 PM
>>Link<< (http://news.com.com/2100-1024_3-5215599.html?tag=cd.top)

fr3drik
05-19-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm not so surprised. After just two weeks of GMail usage I had a 1% full inbox (spam included). Oh and it's not because I get spam through Google, but that I have my old email address forwarded to my GMail account.

Their intention/goal is that you should NEVER have to delete an email, which I would have to start doing after about four years if I "only" had 1GB of space. With 1TB of space I would hopefully never have to do it.

Hale
05-19-2004, 05:19 PM
the only thing I've deleted from my gmail account so far are cgtalk notices.. cause I had dozens

d0c
05-19-2004, 06:02 PM
how do you get a gmail account

i went ot gmail.com and didnt see anything aobut signing up..

is it just being tested by a few people for the moment?

Hale
05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by d0c
how do you get a gmail account

i went ot gmail.com and didnt see anything aobut signing up..

is it just being tested by a few people for the moment? yes

visualride
05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Nope. There was apparently a bug in the software that made everyone think that there was a terabyte instead of a gig of storage. Probably some newbie that didn't know their gigs from there terabytes programed the code. Woops!

Article explaining the mistake:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63519,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

Hale
05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by visualride
Nope. There was apparently a bug in the software that made everyone think that there was a terabyte instead of a gig of storage. Probably some newbie that didn't know their gigs from there terabytes programed the code. Woops!

Article explaining the mistake:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63519,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2 it says that in the cnet article above ;)

d0c
05-19-2004, 06:12 PM
i never bothered to read the articles..

i will next time though before asking :)

thx

onlooker
05-19-2004, 06:15 PM
from CNET
"It was a bug. We are working to fix it," said Google spokesman Nate Tyler. "Gmail offers users 1 gigabyte of storage.":cry:

Recursive
05-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by onlooker
:cry:

what exactly where you planning to put there? :)

Dennik
05-20-2004, 06:47 AM
This is one Gig on their servers right? Why would you trust your emails on any server except your computer space?
What if these servers get hacked and scanned, by other people?
With today's hard drives you don't have to care about space for mail anymore. You could buy a 30 GB old hard drive and store all the mails of a decade there. I don't see whats the big deal about this story.

mastermesh
05-20-2004, 12:40 PM
your hard drive crashes and that client's email that was so important with all the details of your latest high budget project goes down in the flames with it? nuff said...

fr3drik
05-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Am I the only one to think 1GB is too little?
I mean, I have people sending me attachments. If their intention really is to have people NEVER delete an email .. 1GB is surely not enough. :wip: I'm not complaining though! :)

Hale
05-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by fr3drik
Am I the only one to think 1GB is too little?
I mean, I have people sending me attachments. If their intention really is to have people NEVER delete an email .. 1GB is surely not enough. :wip: I'm not complaining though! :) compared to the 2,5,10MB other people offer.. :)

Neil
05-20-2004, 05:50 PM
1 gig is too little? you people are weird.

What exactly are you doing that you need to keep more than a gig of email? If someone sends me a 200 mb file, i have them use FTP or email and then save it on my HD. What purpose does that email serve me 1 year down the road, if it's still on my HD anyway?

fr3drik
05-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, the whole idea is that you should never have to delete a single email (except junkmail) ... and if so, 1 GB really isn't enough. Not for me atleast. I get about 5mb of data (emails and attachments) in my email every week. That's 200 weeks until my account is full. Of course I don't have a problem with deleting stuff every four years ;) but Google want you to keep ALL of your emails for ever... and then 1GB simply wouldn't be enough.

But unfortunately, that 1TB limit was just a bug ...or at least that's what they say right now. Wouldn't be too surprised if it wasn't a bug ...but just a test to see if their new storage space slider works in the admin area. ;) I'm sure they took into consideration how to easily change the space storage without having to develop a new system for it.

Hale
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
the whole idea is to never delete emails.. not attachments.

if you have 5MB of email text every week you should probably leave your house more often :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.