PDA

View Full Version : The best pose for forearms and hands?

Wancieho
07-17-2002, 06:58 AM
Well, the subject says it all:) I'm just wondering what's the best pose as I always seem to have problems when it comes to animating. If I try turn the hand it tends to twist the forearm. What is the best way of making the model in it's "Da Vinci" pose?

LFShade
07-17-2002, 05:08 PM
I generally try to model them in a relaxed position, sort of the "neutral rotation" of the wrist.

Twisting of the mesh is inevitable in any joint that rotates the way the wrist does. A good way to handle this is to make sure the twisting is properly distributed up through the forearm, and that you have enough geometry there to prevent shearing and get a good, smooth deformation.

The real dynamics of the motion of skin over rotating radius and ulna bones is not easy to mimic without some sort of in-skin morphing system. If you rotate your own wrist you can observe how the bones dramatically alter the volume of the forearm, yet the skin remains surprisingly limited in motion as the bones "slide" underneath it. Typically the best you can do is to approximate this deformation through careful skin weighting and clever bone-rigging techniques (some of which can be found in the Character Rigging forum here on CGTalk).

Wancieho
07-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Cool thanks man. This info will help. Wasn't sure if it was just me twisting the mesh:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.