PDA

View Full Version : 3Ds Max Starting from scratch...

sanjug1
05-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi All,
I'm new to this 3D Animation Field, but I really wanted to make a career in this field... so I've downloaded the 3Ds Max V.6 30 days Trial version from Discreet's website, but I've not downloaded the Help files & Tutorial files. So I really don't know where to start from...

Can anyone guide me where to start from? where could I get the very basics Tutorials on 3Ds Max to learn on verious subjects?

Please help me to learn this world class Software from the scratch.

Thanks
Sanjay

Johnny Kane
05-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Get Harnessing 3ds max 5 from Amazon.com. Great book. It should teach you everything you need to know. Or you would like to get a max 6 book (I don't have max 6, so I don't know any good books for it).

sanjug1
05-20-2004, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Johnny,

Sure I'll get that book... but how about the "3D MAX 6 FUNDAMENTALS" book? do u have any idea? or should I go for the book that u have suggested?

Johny tell me one thing, have u learned 3d Max with the help of that book or u have done any course on 3d Max? or u have learned by yourself by practising? do u know any good website which is having good basic tuts?

Oops so many questions.. sorry :)

Tahnks
Sanjay

coo_kie73
05-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Hi sanjug1 - For a start, u could try doing the tutorials that are available in the net, e.g 3dcafe, 3dbuzz etc. Try those simple ones first until u are familar with some of the functions and tools of the software. Try to understand the function when doing the tutorial.

Hope this help. :)

sanjug1
05-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Thanx Coo,
3dcafe, 3dbuzz are really nice sites for the tutorials, & I've also downloaded Help Files & Tutorials (107MB) :eek: from Discreet's website... those are really cool stuff to learn. :thumbsup: :bowdown:

Sanjay

Johnny Kane
05-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by sanjug1
Thanks for the reply Johnny,

Sure I'll get that book... but how about the "3D MAX 6 FUNDAMENTALS" book? do u have any idea? or should I go for the book that u have suggested?

Johny tell me one thing, have u learned 3d Max with the help of that book or u have done any course on 3d Max? or u have learned by yourself by practising? do u know any good website which is having good basic tuts?

Oops so many questions.. sorry :)

Tahnks
Sanjay

Well, the 3ds max 6 Fundamentals book is supposed to be very good. The Harnessing 3ds max 5 book is really, really good! I learned from that book, not any course.

3dbuzz is a nice site, too, like coo_kie said. They have video tutorials for free, but you have to register with them and participate in the forums. You can download the first video magazine for free (like 8 or 9 videos in all), but for the other video magazines you have to post in the forums... a LOT! But it is worth it. Nice forum and nice videos.

PC-Junkie
05-24-2004, 06:05 AM
i'm farly new to the 3D CG world so to speak, i used some free 3d programs for a couple months first (mainly anim8or) which got me realy in to 3D. anyways i have MAX 6 now and i recently ordered 3ds max 6 bible, which seems really good, i read a bunch of reveiws about it and what not... anyways you might want to look into it.

Deathcricket
05-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Not sure where you are located, but in San Diego CA we have awesome free classes here at the career center (your tax dollars hard at work). The instructor has written 5 books on Max and has his own 3d forensic company. Can't say enough good things about the class! Also can't believe it's free!

Anyways, I imagine most other areas have a similar program, I can send you the link if you want. Just at work ATM and don't have it handy.

:beer:

-Deathcricket-

sanjug1
05-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks Johnny, PC-Junkie & Deathcricket,

I'm from India, but Deathcricket plz send me the link... is there books for downloads? ( as you said your instructor has written 5 books on Max) ;) :)

Johny its great that you've learned from that book & not any course, cool... & also i've downloading the video tuts from 3dbuzz.
:bounce:

Guys any other suggestions? :curious:

Sanjay

PC-Junkie
05-26-2004, 08:29 PM
you can order the books online... any of the major online book stores have lots of differant CG books.. chances are you can dl a PDA version of one of the books... anyways good luck

Deathcricket
05-27-2004, 05:39 AM
Sure the link is http://www.sandiegocet.net/classes/spring/bit-north-cc/c7.php

His name is David Kalwick, not sure where they sell his books, should have asked him in class, but a search on amazon.com would be a good place to start :)

Good luck!

-Deathcricket-

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.