PDA

View Full Version : zbrush newbie question

Eatable_Mesh
05-19-2004, 08:51 AM
just curious if it's possible to export zbrush files like meshes, into other apps like xsi? i just heard about zbrush was wondering how it works

BazC
05-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Yes you can export as .obj.
ZBrush is very versatile, you can import .obj with or without UVs or create from scratch in ZB using primitives, z-spheres, alphas or lathing. You can UVmap using several options and you can texture your model. It can be exported as a mesh or export displacement maps and/or normal maps for use on a low poly mesh in another app.

It also has a pretty good renderer though it's a little basic compared to Lightwave,Cinema etc, it can produce excellent results though! - Baz

osamu
05-19-2004, 04:48 PM
I read from their site that they want the program to export file for 3ds max too. maybe it will be in the next release?

Eatable_Mesh
05-20-2004, 11:01 AM
wicked to know thanks

Tantramancer
06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
ZBrush 2 has alot of nice import/export options located in the preferences section. You are limited in the current version to just two choices of either OBJ or DXF for import/export. You can preset a wide variety of scaling and orientation options as well as a number of things on how it should deal with normals, groups, etc. If there is a program you use frequently in addition to ZBrush such as Max, Maya, XSI or others you can spend a bit of time fiddling around with the settings, swapping a mesh back and forth until you get something that works ideally for you. Every program seems to use different units of measure and coordinate systems so once you've gotten that initial experimentation out of the way those presets make importing/exporting a simple one click thing with no further fiddling needed in either program you are working with.

It's nice that they have this feature but I wish ZBrush had some premade export/import configurations for use with the default settings of a handful of the primary 3D apps already predone for you to save a little legwork. Oh well, maybe next version. At least it only has to be done once then saved in your preferences and you can forget about it. The more I learn of ZBrush the less need I feel to send my mesh to another program for tweeking until it's finally done and ready for rigging/ animating in Max or Maya. I'm enjoying using Zbrush alot. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the next version.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.