PDA

View Full Version : Modelling: Need advice on modelling a spring/spiral

Viper3d
05-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Ok, for those that are familiar with quake 2 or quake 3, you should know what i mean when i say Railgun. I need to create a similar effect of the swirl around a pipe or whatever (the pipe isn't the issue). I need to create a spiral around the pipe and for the life of me i'm drawing a blank as to how. Not too mention, I'll have to texture it so it glows and fades too look like a quake 2 rail... (basically its just a spring or a slinky around a pipe)

Does anyone know of any tutorials that show how to make a spiral... or a rope that spirals... anything the spirals.... I assume it would just be a cylindar that follows a path or that theres some modifier that would help me make the cylinder swirl... it seems so simple but I can't figure it out and I don't have too much time to spend searching. I was hoping someone here might be kind enough to slap me in the face with something obvious that i'm overlooking, or to point me to a tutorial that explains this.
Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

MuseSyndrome
05-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Try playing around with the Helix spline (make sure you click Renderable so it shows up in renders). As for materials, I'm not the one to ask. I'm guessing it involves keying opacity values but don't quote me on that. BTW particles might work better, as you can do all sorts of effects. If you want to use that I might be able to give a quick explanation (with material settings).

Viper3d
05-19-2004, 08:42 PM
yes! thats exactly what i was looking for, hurray!

Thank you so much!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.