PDA

View Full Version : Which apps would you like to see a new forum created for?

vef
05-18-2004, 05:50 PM
So... which apps do you enjoy using, and would like to see a forum created for?

I have excluded ZBrush here, as we all know that a ZBrush forum is on the horizon... yipppeeee :)

anyways... let's hear your opinions... :)

Personaly, I have no objection to more forums being created... I mean you can always set up a bookmark to your fav app form, along with the usual index bookmark, and thus save yourself the scrolling... or whatever... I mean it's not like you don't have to scroll as it is now anyways, just to see the app forums... and if you don't use bookmarks for quick access then who's fault is that? It's not like these provisions are not there to utilize eh?

I am in the opinion that the more reference regarding anything 3d that is to found, and subsequently organized, here at CGT, the better it is for everyone... artist's and app developers alike... creating the ultimate 3d library of resources ... yea, that's the ticket...

but... we are all entitled to our own opinions eh... so vote now, and let your opinion be known... it's all good :)

Ric535
05-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Moho (http://www.lostmarble.com)

http://members.aol.com/rikwatkins/moho.jpg

Xtrude
05-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Well the bad news is, the brass has suggested that no way will Rhino get a forum- one of the reasons given- not enough Rhino user's here at CGT

The good news is- Silo leads this poll :beer: Go Silo go :D

mushroomgod
05-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Xtrude
Well the bad news is, the brass has suggested that no way will Rhino get a forum- one of the reasons given- not enough Rhino user's here at CGT

which is a shame......without wanting to piss Leigh off there will never be enough people intrested in starting a forum because once a thread starts asking the question about a posible Rhino/nurbs forum she closes it.

It does seem (to me atleast) that cgtalk is the No1 cg forum on the net, no other forum comes close....yet cgtalk has no nurbs forum.

dagoof
05-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Careful what you say, don't get this one shut down as well!

:wavey:

ExtremeBoost
05-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by dagoof
Careful what you say, don't get this one shut down as well!

:wavey:

I think we should close down some forums that arent used and open a Rhino forum. For example.. the support forum :) Ive had a problem sitting in there for days with no attention not to mention emails to the webmaster.
Us Rhino users are a minority and we are treated like it, its that simple.

MRAY
05-19-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm also for a Rhino forum :)

-Mray-

Xtrude
05-19-2004, 04:36 AM
This is funny -:)

If you went to a 3D expo, the more exibits from various 3D software companies, the better the show would be-

Yet, for some inexplicable reason, when some people come here to CGT, they think that the least number of companies represented is better? wtf?

:surprised

dagoof
05-19-2004, 04:52 AM
Probably because it pulls the community apart more, but at the same time - I feel that people only visit their respective categories already - Would creating a place for people that have none be a bad idea? I think not.

Mentat7
05-19-2004, 04:01 PM
I have excluded ZBrush here, as we all know that a ZBrush forum is on the horizon... yipppeeee

It is? I think I missed this. Was it discussed somewhere? Do you have a link perchance? :)

Xtrude
05-19-2004, 04:11 PM
I don't think it would pull the community apart at all, though I do agree that some would think that way.

IMHO opening up to new experiences is a building block to a bigger and wider based community.

nah, one or two close minded people begin the march against something, no matter what it is, in real life, or online, and the followers all fall into step. You see, they already have what they require, and somewhat feel threatened by the prospect of new anything.

What a drag. I feel for them, I do

However I also feel for those who are not represented, and in particular the Silo crowd.

You see, this is a fantastic up and coming modeling app. The inovative approach the NeverCenter team has taken is second only to how wll they listen to their userbase. This app is being built by a community approach, and there are new tools and thoughts being presented and implimented almost daily.

I happen to feel that this would give so many over here at CGT an opportunity to get in on what can only be described as a fastastic experience. To participate in the building of an app.

How many programmers here would have a blast creating with Silo's SDK. I am sure there are probably more programmers who vist CGT than most other smaller software forums. Well, why not get in on the fun?

The software users have had even more of an impact, suggesting this and that, and believe it or not, these guys at NeverCenter really listen. It is awesome. The plugin programming guru's would have a great time of it.

So there you have it, a perfect set of reason's why there should be a new Silo forum here at CGT. It would simply open up so many to a terrific experience. People would flock this forum pumping in ideas, and all helping to build a great modeling app. Interaction 101, and isn't that what forums are to be all about? I know it would sure help the folks at NeverCenter, getting new customers and assisting in keeping this app not only floating, but speeding right along to modeling paradise :)

In closing, I think that the brass here at CGT should get ahold of the people over at Never Center and talk. Open up to this great little software company, and let the building process elevate to new heights. Two cg leadership groups coming together so that the rest of us can make CG masterpieces with a set of tools which are soon going to rock on most more likely sooner than later. :)

btw, did you all know that SIlo now has the "bridge" tool within the main app? This is how I know how much these guys listen. I, along with a few other's, requested this tool not so long ago, and bam, it was there. Just think about this- I am nobody, no big time 3D anything- just another somebody -who tried the app out, came up with a few things I thought would be cool in the app, and posted such. Within a few weeks, it was there. Now that's cool

The funny thing about that experience was- when I/we first requested said tool, there were more nay sayers than otherwise. "We really don't need that tool" they said- we kept asking for it anyways, even though we were going against the "popular" crowd. In the end, it was really a no brainer, "bridge" implimented.

Before that, there was the time whereby some Wings3d types wished to have the same Mirai cam setup as found in Wings3d- bam, it came out in the very next Silo version, and this took only weeks to realize. Then there was a group who longed for better soft selection-bam, it was there- Isolines, again, there. People wanted to get into writing plugins-bam, SDK is out and waiting for you. We want a Mac version some suggested- it's being worked on right this very minute and should be along very soon. It is just something else the way this team works for it's userbase.

Like I said, that's cool :)

Go Silo Go :beer:

Xtrude
05-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi Lonnie :)

scroll down to the bottom of this page (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140761&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)

Mentat7
05-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Wicked sweet! Thanks Xtrude! I imagine a ZBrush forum here at CGTalk will focus more on cross platform homogeniety. I can't wait!

Xtrude
05-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Your most welcome Lonnie. ;) :D

leigh
05-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mushroomgod
which is a shame......without wanting to piss Leigh off there will never be enough people intrested in starting a forum because once a thread starts asking the question about a posible Rhino/nurbs forum she closes it.

I closed it because the discussion was over :) No point in letting a thread go on and on when a decision has been made.

At any rate let me explain something here. Yep, we have forums for all the popular packages here since we have to have those forums to cater for their large userbases here on CGTalk. However, the problem with creating forums for packages with smaller userbases is that everyone then starts to bug us for forums for all sorts of funny little programs.
Not that Rhino is a "funny little program" but it isn't exactly what I would regard as a massive mainstream app, and if I create a forum for it, then I start being bombarded with requests for forums like Milkshape, Mirai, Anim8or, Silo, etc etc and yes, that really starts unnecessarily fragmenting CGTalk a lot.

Needless to say it also requires more moderators and means more work for the admins who are already up to their eyeballs in work running this site.

We have always taken user requests seriously and have significantly added to CGTalk over the last two years to cater to our users needs. As the forums have grown, we have continued to listen to our users requests, but if you consider that we have over 80,000 users then 25 requests for a Rhino forum is not really enough to justify an entire new forum that adds extra work to running the site. Think about it.

I believe that we are already catering very well to the CG community and the addition of more forums is really cluttering things up. Please understand that while we want to ensure that we don't alienate anyone, we also wish to retain some semblance of a community here on CGTalk.

However, I have created a NURBS subforum here in the Modeling forum and I will see how it goes. Thanks for your understanding.

jaymackey
05-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Silo! :thumbsup:

I agree with everything Xtrude said about Silo.

Xtrude
05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
haha, durn right Jay :D

Silo rocks-

Leigh, I totaly understand where you are coming from, for sure. Thing is, ya just don't have 3D without really decent modeing tools, and, I don't know if you have had th extreme pleasure of modeling with Silo or not, or to what degree you are friendly with Silo, but I can tell you that with a bit of support in the right directions this modeling app is going to kick some serious butt.

Modeling- It's all about good tools and workflow, plain and simple-right?

Well, Silo is quickly gaining in the good tools area, and in fact has passed some of these so called big apps in some areas already, and, when it comes to workflow, well, I would venture to say that it already sits pretty close to the top of the heap. Give this app perhaps one or two more version releases and I bet that it will rule the wonderful world of SDS modeling. These guys have done in but three update releases what has taken every other software company many many versions over many many years to get right, and ironicaly enough, some still don't have it right.

Go Silo go :)

Oh yes, a big congrats to all you nurbites out there :)

chikega
05-22-2004, 04:04 AM
I can vouch for Xtrude. Silo, personally has become my main app for organic modeling. It's workflow is second to none and the boys at Nevercenter really really listen to their user base. I've personally requested features such as Normal Translate, Rotate, and Scale and *BAM*! there it was within days ... amazing! This is SOOOO refreshing.

I've already participated in a couple Modeling Speed Sessions with it - could't have done them as quickly in other apps. This is for real - not some super secret product that's taking ages to be released or that only the elite seem to get to play with (i.e. Modo, Clay, etc...).

Speed Modeling Session: Quadrupeds
My tongue-in-cheek "quadruped"
http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/quadraped_w.jpghttp://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/quadraped.jpg

Speed Modeling Session: Zombies
http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/Zombie.jpghttp://www.3ddmd.com/images/Silo/zombie_front25.jpg

Xtrude
05-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Right on Gary, damn I love those two pieces you have done up with Silo here. They are bang on the subject matter, and certainly reflect some pretty cool modeling :thumbsup:

Silo rocks :D

I supose it all depends on how any particular user has things set up.

That's just one of the many strengths of Silo- end user customization.

Create your own specific hotkey, and mouse button set ups, for all the tools you use frequently in your workflow- while still having the rest of the command possibilties on button pages (icons or text) only but a keystroke away - heck, you can even create your own graphics for the button/pages as well- and the best part about this is- you can choose just what features you wish to have on said button pages, so that you don't have to have repeat items on the button pages that your shortcuts already have covered. Makes for a much quicker route to find those less utilized but very important options, as you don't have to weed through all the options, rather only those you have set up to be there :)

hell yea, pickem, bind em, use em. Silo rocks----- !!

Xtrude
05-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh yea, 23 user's for Silo in the poll- and I am betting that said such forum would certainly get a ton of use from these 23 user's. It isn't how many, but rather what they do with it that counts ;)

popol
05-23-2004, 08:44 PM
maybe i miss this forum, or it's doesnt exist but a houdiniforum will be great

chikega
05-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Houdini is an extremely small group. I don't see the moderators creating a forum any time soon. Anyways, I'm sure you know about these already, but just in case, the two most active Houdini forums are:

http://www.sidefx.com/forum/
http://www.odforce.net/

Good luck! :)

l1ttledrumerb0y
05-24-2004, 08:27 PM
yah... a houdini forum would be pretty cool... it wouldn't really last long though. it would die out, sort of like the 3dbuzz houdini forum. Im still voting for houdini.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.