PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the lack of XSI books?

Shade01
05-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi, I'm transitioning out of LW into XSI. Why on earth can I not find any good XSI books? The few books I've seen are for XSI 1 or 2. I've gone to 4 different bookstores and I'm never at a loss for Max, Maya or Lightwave books, but I'll be damned if I can find an XSI book:shrug:

Are there any worth recommending (that can be found)?

Iysun
05-18-2004, 08:17 AM
yah xsi's user base is alot smaller then the other apps, its gaining though:D

Ive never read any xsi books, but i would recommened the video tutorials from 3dtutorial.com (http://www.3dtutorial.com), as cheap as books, and very good training

aydinu
05-18-2004, 09:48 AM
What about the video tuts at http://www.3dtutorial.com!
They are very good end good priced too.
I come from a Max/Maya and learned alot from those and ofcourse on www.xsibase.com the forum is much more active

Aydin

foxco
05-18-2004, 10:27 AM
hell... what have you done to you avatar :surprised

ya. the user count is the smallest of the biggest id say.

/fox

Fluckrat
05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Coming June 9th, not too long to wait I hope? ;)

http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?category=Programming&subcategory=Animation&isbn=1-59200-210-2

This book should rock. :buttrock:

EdHarriss
05-18-2004, 02:49 PM
XSI hasn't been around that long. It takes a long time to write a book. (Believe me, I know.) :) However, I have an XSI book that I've been working on. No idea when it will come out though. (I need some spare time to put it together.)

Shade01
05-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by EdHarriss
XSI hasn't been around that long. It takes a long time to write a book. (Believe me, I know.) :) However, I have an XSI book that I've been working on. No idea when it will come out though. (I need some spare time to put it together.)

Thanks for teasing me:p

leigh
05-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Yeah the lack of books is something that struck me when I started using XSI last year. But I found that I didn't need books in the end - there is plenty of good stuff available online and since I'm so used to working in 3D already I found the program easy to learn :)

Shade01, since you are also coming from LightWave, you should find the program intuitive already...

At any rate though, I am using XSI for my next book :D

So that makes two of us, Ed :)

Grgeon
05-19-2004, 03:04 AM
Why must you torture us so! :D Great news about your upcoming books. Any teasers as to what topics will be covered? Ed? Leigh?

At any rate, can't wait for these books to come out. I've already pre-ordered the Experience XSI 4.0 book, which i think will be super sweet.

God Bless,
George

Iysun
05-19-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by XsifoX
hell... what have you done to you avatar :surprised

/fox

lol,

now if i can acualy manage to ever finish somehting ive made ill use that but until then your stuck with the bird or wahtever else i might see:D

and thats great news Ed and Leigh about the books :thumbsup:

chikega
05-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Grgeon
Why must you torture us so! :D Great news about your upcoming books. Any teasers as to what topics will be covered? Ed? Leigh?

Of course, it will be on texture mapping with XSI's awesome UV editing tools. ;)

TheLostVertex
05-19-2004, 05:50 AM
I am always looking for XSI books at book stores(there are a few) but I can never find any and end up reading something about lightwave of photoshop....

what a sad and deprived life we XSI users live. O well, at least we have Ed to right books....

Come on man, stop posting here....get to work ;-)

chikega
05-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by EdHarriss

I actually started my 3d career with Softimage 3d back in '94/95. Talk about a lack of learning resources for it back then. It was just little ole' me and three huge volumes that read like a phone book. I managed somehow. Too bad I couldn't afford it back then when I left that job. Things are looking more reasonable now ... and XSI is calling me back to my roots. :)

RuiFeliciano
05-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Gary,

Roots are a good thing...don't resist it! ;)

Anyway, I actually prefer videos to books. I find watching a person acomplish something so much easier to learn then having to read the book and then trying to follow with the app.
For that purpose I'm also transitioning from LW and I found the 3DBuzz videos great for starters (right after Will's LW2XSI guide) and now I'm enjoying the 3DTutorial videos which I'm finding great value.
Also the manuals are simply great (especially when compared to LW's...)

francescaluce
05-19-2004, 01:58 PM
yeah, it's strange... few books for a massive appz like xsi....

out of topic (?)::
I'm wondering also why XSI has only one forum while all the other appz, here at cgtalk, have their specific multi forums... and don't tell me that there's a lot of other sites that better fill the request.. coz is the same also for the others appz :surprised ... I'm wondering also why the first name in the forum statement is softimage|3D and not only softimage|XSI... :shrug: .. a matter of edition.. -so why the editors are so reluctant to give xsi all the space it deserves ??

ciao
francesca

ThE_JacO
05-19-2004, 03:49 PM
heya Franci.
making new subforums is a piece of cake, if there aren't any it's only because the current traffic doesn't need them (there's only 4 or 5 new posts a day on most days) and there's been no request.

I'm all for splitting into categories when it helps tracking things, but with the amount of posting we get here it really isn't hard to look for things in one big forum is it ?

as for the books issue it's very simple.

there's never been much demand for them until very recently, not really because of the size of the userbase (C4D and other SWs have a smaller userbase but more publications) it really is because most of the userbase insofar has been the kind pros that aren't interested in books, also the school & warez diffusion of XSI is possibly at the bottom of the ladder, which means some of the most common potential buyers are simply amiss from the market for XSI books.

such market is changing, so is the popularity, and with it will come editors requests to authors to fill a new niche of market.
but that niche wasn't there until just a year ago.

raffael3d
05-19-2004, 04:28 PM
http://www.xsibase.com/commercial/books.php

there are some books, not too many but ther eare and a new one is coming out by Michael Isner and Aaron Sims.

zaam
05-19-2004, 04:59 PM
You might try mesmer.com if you haven't already. There are a few resources there. Additionally, 3dtutorial has some great learning resources for about the price of a book. I assume you have checked out Ed's site already.

francescaluce
05-19-2004, 10:06 PM
ehy jaco, I see what you say (:surprised )... I was not speaking about pratically thingys.. just that cgtalk is a big window and if I'm an editor or publisher taking a look at here.. I will choose another software to write a book on.. xsi users seem they've no relevant problems at all !!.. ok I'm joking.. :blush:

it really is because most of the userbase insofar has been the kind pros that aren't interested in books..
true.. and I think it's really good... coz that kind of pros that are interested to write books are generally really pedantic (a good word could be- 'bookish').. it takes years for me to forget the bad practice I've learned on some bad 3dsmax books... and not only but also the bad feeling that comes with that writers... xsi is pure joy and it takes forever someone can write a good book about..

ciao
francesca

yog
05-20-2004, 02:15 AM
There is a new book coming out soon called "Experience XSI 4" from Softimage's "Special projects" group.

Ed Harriss's SITE (http://www.edharriss.com) is an absolute goldmine of information.

And I can personally and thourghly recommend the excellently cheep video tutorials from 3D Tutorials (http://www.3dtutorial.com) , they've been a life saver for an XSI newbie like me.

I have noticed in the last year, and especially in the last six months that Softimage are actively pushing the community side (user groups popping up everywhere) and trying to really broaden their user base as much as possible. Together I see these two things as really opening up the market for 3rd party training material. Looks like good times ahead.

chikega
05-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by RuiFeliciano
Gary,
Roots are a good thing...don't resist it! ;)

Hi Rui, XSI is so tempting ... everything in one app.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.