PDA

View Full Version : fantasy dragon: done!

Poopinmymouth
05-17-2004, 12:51 AM
*edit finally got around to posing him, so i figured Id bump this thread. Also I updated my website.

2967 triangles, 256 with alpha for head, and 512 for body

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/dragon_pose.jpg

and the textureshttp://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/dragon_body_tex.jpg http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/dragon_head_tex.jpg

wireframehttp://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/dragon_wire.jpg

and the original concepthttp://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/cgchat/beastconcept.jpg

Pretty much done with it, tho i welcome any critiques for the next time. Im really happy with how this came out. the original texture was horrid, and i scrapped it, I think this one came out alot better.

Ghostscape
05-17-2004, 01:15 AM
I like it a lot. The armor is really cool, and the whole design reminds of some toys that were really popular when I was like 3 and 4...some people who rode on dinosaurs with armor and lasers, and I can't recall what they're called. But they had an awesome brachiosaurus and I believe it walked through the magic of D Batteries.

Anyhow, as far as places you could improve...
The neck, particularily in the top picture, seems to have a totally different spot-style than the rest of the body, and it quickly jumps from smaller, uniform dots into large blotchy dots. It makes the neck stand out almost as strongly as if there had been a visible seam. A more gradual increase in size would be good.

The top of the head also seems really flat, and makes the nose seem less snoutish and sort've weird. If there was a dip right in front of the eyes it would look better, definitely more predatorial.

The whole fur-dragon thing is really weird, but pretty cool.

SyDemon
05-17-2004, 05:32 AM
A cheetah and dragon hybrid! Very nice! I would believe what Ghostscape is referring to are Droids. I love the impression of how fast this creature can run, by looking at it's stream lined body.

Ghostscape
05-17-2004, 06:17 AM
No, not droids. I have no idea what that is.

DINO RIDERS!

http://www.toyarchive.com/DinoRiders/DinoRiders.html

http://www.toyarchive.com/DinoRiders/DRDimetrodon.html
I had that gy and he was totally awesome. I really oughta model him.

actually, I was 5, 6, and 7 when these were released...

Sutten
05-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Cool stuff. Do you first model the body, and then add the armor separately?

bluemagicuk
05-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Very original and it also reminds me of toys I had when I was
younger.

miloszwl
05-17-2004, 07:33 PM
great model! :applause:

but hmm...not too many triangles as for a game model?

da_rock21
05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
i love it, i need to do a few animals like that myslef.

Nazeil
05-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Looking good poop.

My favorite part is the legs. The muscles definition underneath that fur is fantastic, I feel like this thing is ready to kill. love that.

A few things bother me though. The hair is standing up way too straight, like he sporting dinosaur liberty spikes. There is not bend to indicate gravity. If you wanted something that rigid perhaps spine/plates might be a better option. Of course maybe you're planning to add soft bodies or bones to the fur in animation, in which case ignore my criticism.

My second though is harder to explain. On his front right leg he has an armored plate that has two pieces which come down to make a sort of vague "V" shape. The texturing on those two shapes I think is a break from other areas. It has a similar style, but looks almost cartoony next to the fine detail of the body and other armor pieces. I can't put my finger on why they look that way, except that they look too flat.

Also I would have chosen a different color than blue for the armor. But that is a personal thing. The beast looks like it lives in a grasslands area, so I think it might look nice with more earth tones.

anyway, if I haven't said it enough. Great work.

speveo
05-17-2004, 11:13 PM
This is a very interesting beastie. :) You keep on rolling out the goods Poop.

How was E3 with Bobo? :)

Cheers

Steve

DaneMacbeth
05-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Looks great, the model and texture is impressive, however, I feel that the armor doesnt go very well with the rest of the texture. Everything else has a nice organic smooth and colorfull look to it, where as I find the armor to be distracting in both color and style. It seems the realistic approach to the fur and mouth should be used for the armor as well, not the more cartoony look, all in all very creative and impressive work as always!

Jimmy_Dublo
05-18-2004, 04:46 PM
The second I saw this it reminded me of Dino Riders. Memories rushed back to me :D

Fantastic work. Cant wait to see the running cycle.

madshooter
05-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi,
Simply amazing. Model, texture, proportion everything is looking
great.

Praetus
05-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Really cool looking. The only thing I have to crit are the hair spikes on the neck. It looks like your alpha maps are not completely transparent or maybe the have some specularity issues. If you look close, you can see the polygons outline. I imagine that once it's in motion it would not be as noticeable though.

Dul'car
05-30-2004, 06:19 PM
It definatly looks great, very nice texturing. It would be really nice as a vehicle in UT2004.

ill_logic
05-31-2004, 10:36 PM
nicely done! designs pretty cool. could use something on the head like a harness or something like that. some sort of minor detail like that. but then why cover up that detail?! great jobs on the textures. would wires be out of the question?
-J

Poopinmymouth
06-01-2004, 04:04 AM
i agree ghostscape, the spots on the neck were done one day, and im not sure i was able to capture the exact process, or maybe it evolved the second day. The head is styled after a rattlesnake, so the flat shovel head look was definately done on purpose. It appeals to me alot, but i have heard some people comment on it, so it might be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Sutten, you are correct. body first, armor seperately. then i determined which parts would be welded and which seperate

miloszwl: not not even close. this is about 5x the size of a person, and it was done towards the unreal engine. so the polycount is quite below the limit.

naziel. the hair on the back of the neck is supposed to be tufts, much in the style of a zebra mane. It will wave when i do the animations. point noted on the armor, will keep that in mind for the next go round. as for colors, i wanted a bold wide spectrumed complimentary scheme. thats why the yellows go almost all the way into red, and the blue and purple to compliment.

speve O. e3 was awesome. i have pictures (with bobo and the bird in them) on my website, check the news section.

dane macbeth. thanks for the kind words, as for the texture inconsistancy, I tried to keep everything as realistic as i could, and while I think it fell short of realistic, i felt like everything was on the same level. what about the armor makes it look less real? i would love for you to elaborate.

praetus you are correct. the map is right, but the uvs are too close to the edge, and the filtering brings the base back around to the tip. i will fix that.

ill logic. thought about that, but i was on the equestrian team, and horses you have to be careful of hurting their mouths as their necks travel alot. this beasty would travel 10x as much and anything connected to the face would either flap wildly or injure the poor guy. so the stearing mechanisms are the metal grips. pulling on them lets him feel it in his shoulders and would be the way the rider steers.

to everyone with the kind words i say thank you. its great to hear when a job is well done. 8-)

Poopinmymouth
09-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Updated the original post with the final pose.

gasmask
09-24-2004, 06:55 AM
not bad, i think ur an awesome game modeler, and ive actually seen u around alot im a regualr on concept art.org but id say try to put more thought into design in general, the body is pretty good and beleivable but the head brings it down alot, so i would have done alot more drawings to get a better looking head, as far as the texturing goes, id say its pretty good but the armor could use some work, id look at referance when painting that. other than those minor things everything else is great, i had actually planned to try modeling something like that but havent got around to it yet, did you just box model in max?

Miguelito
09-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Awesome!! All I can say!
Awaiting new tutorials :D

Frank Dodd
09-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Top job on this character great form and the texturing really works well I think. The only areas that catch my eye and I think could use a little improvement are firstly the tail, this looks too straight and ridged, perhaps there are more loops in there than can be seen but it does look odd. Secondly I think it would be interesting to see the effect of the mane curled around a little.

Great looking model though and I was surprised by the low poly count for the level of detail you have included. Well done.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.