PDA

View Full Version : Critical! Good samaritans please help!

Jameslsy
05-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I have problem creating proper weight maps for use with bones for my character! Quadruped model. Anyone out there can give me some guidance or better yet any meshes with weights on?

roguenroll
05-16-2004, 07:15 PM
try to find froggyplats character model, rigging tutorial.

He goes through the whole deal, weights, everything.

it was a great help to me.

free BTW

R

RPG2006
05-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Probably a good idea to put up a screen shot or link of what you have done.

I've had problems in the past and it's actually come down to the bone setup and/or model, rather than just a weighting issue.

RPG:)

by the way here is a link that might be useful. It helped me. A PDF by Carlos Breban on quadraped rigs.

http://breban.homestead.com/files/tutorials/QuadRigTutorial.pdf

RPG2006
05-16-2004, 08:49 PM
that's quadruped.:blush:

Mechis
05-16-2004, 09:13 PM
@RPG
Thanks for posting that. I've never seen it before!
~Mechis

Jameslsy
05-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Here is the shot... My biggest problem here is how to set up the weight map. The head has got a pretty decent weight but the legs are kinda screw up.
I boned this character exactly the way I did on human legs both front and the back.
I have problems on the IK Stop and IK fix points and IK handle points.

Big thanks in advance to those who are willing to give pointers!

http://s6.invisionfree.com/eggjuice/index.php?showtopic=43

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 09:42 AM
I tend to avoid weight maps at all or only apply them in the end after doing things like using hold bones or tweaking the model so I dont need weight maps.
The majority of the time I dont need them or only very simple ones. I would adopt a workflow that uses weight maps as a last resort. Applying them takes the same time whether up front or in the end. If you do them last after testing deformations you are more likely to either not need them or only need simple ones.

Heres a couple of tests I did with a quadruped setup using IK Booster. The first one took about 10 minutes or so to create. The 2nd one demonstrates that the feet can stay locked. :)

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/quadruped_ikb_test.avi
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/quadruped_ikb_test2.avi

Also check out one of my free rigs. Its the firelizard one. It doesnt use weight maps and deforms pretty well. :)

wanner
05-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Here is Froggyplat's Complete Character Rigging Guide
http://www.3d-palace.com/videos.php?pid=35

Jameslsy
05-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks fo the help people. Spline God, after I IKBoost the bones, where do I actually make nulls and fix points to control the whole rig? I've been trying to follow your blue bird found on your website but it just didn't work. I had main null, mover null and leg and arm goals nicely parent but nothing seem to work.

SplineGod
05-18-2004, 08:40 AM
You mean the blue fire lizard? :)
You apply IK booster to the firelizard itself. Once you do the nodes appear and then you need to go thru and turn Ik on or off for the channels you want to control with IK or FK. :)
My advice would be to work on getting the standard LW IK to work first before messing with IK Booster. Have you tried using LWs standard IK?

Jameslsy
05-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks a lot... I was just wondering just about that problem when I post my previous reply.

I'm getting the normal IK done first before Boosting it :o)

Hope it works!

Jameslsy
05-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Just out of curiosity.

If it's possible to rig a character without IKBoost then what benifits does IKBoost give?

Spline God, from the two test of quadrupeds you've posted, I notice that there are IKBoost properties right?

Is it necessary to Normally IK a character then Boost it or vice-versa?

Jameslsy
05-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Problems again. The chinese lion's head can be elongated. With only two neck and one head bone is it possible to make it deform? Is there a way to lengthen the bones?

SplineGod
05-19-2004, 12:02 AM
You can rig a character without IKBooster, I do it all the time. IK booster adds some additional things that the native IK doesnt not do. The new stuff it adds is definately nice :)

Jameslsy
05-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Let's say I'm gonna animate a worm. The worm doesn't have the same length all the time. Unlike snakes they stretch themselves. So if I were to have bones, how do I stretch it? Or any other tricks to fake that motion?

Steve Warner
05-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by `dreams
Let's say I'm gonna animate a worm. The worm doesn't have the same length all the time. Unlike snakes they stretch themselves. So if I were to have bones, how do I stretch it? Or any other tricks to fake that motion?
I'm pretty sure Larry has a Snail animation tutorial. That might help. Also, there's SHIFT's Spline Transform plugin. Here's a mini-tutorial I put together about a year ago.

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/Shift_Spline/Shift_Spline_Tutorial.gif

Hope this helps,

Steve

SplineGod
05-19-2004, 05:07 PM
I was going to also suggest Shift Spline Transform or FIs bezier bend. Both are free plugins and are a lot more powerful IMO then the spline deformer that is in Layout.
I have a free rig on my site that shows how to do a similar effect using bones but with SST or Bezier Bend why bother? :)
The nice thing about SST or Bezier bend is that the spline deformers control nodes are null objects. You can create a parent/chld heirarchy with them which means that you can use IKBooster with them. That opens up a lot of other possibilities including dynamics.

IZZE
05-19-2004, 07:47 PM
My two cents. I'm enjoying Timothy Albee's Character animation book. Currently working on weight maps. I did end up getting a good deformation on the hips, knees, ankles. (that’s as far as I have progressed) but I must admit that much has taken me at least 8 hours of tweaking, testing in Layout, tweak some more and test again. I just think WM's are ok if you REALLY spend the time to work them out.

SplineGod
05-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Weight maps are great but are not nearly as needed as they are in XSI or Maya. In those apps you have to pin geometry that way. In lightwave bones work as soon as you rest them and you have various controls to determine how the bones influence the geometry.Weight maps CAN help to tune this. Ive never seen an instance where weight maps were ever needed for every bone (except for video games). Thats how you would do it in XSI or Maya but not Lightwave. You could cut that 8 hours way down by
putting in the bones, testing the deformations then deciding if you just need a few hold bones or weight maps. If you do need weight maps typically they will be very simple. Waiting until after testing bone deformations first can save a ton of time with weight maps. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.