PDA

View Full Version : Voice Sugestions Here Please!!!

cerreto
01-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Hello everyone,

This challenge has been great and fun and has blown up into something huge !!! and has been tons of fun:)

With as large as this forum has become we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for suggestions for the next challenge instead of haveing 25 diferent ones that get way off course ! so for now here is a general guidline to think of.

This will be for the modeling challenge! There may be a animating or texturing challenge started also, but for this thread please keep it about modeling and not texturing or animating. I think its easy to see how chaotic things can get if it is not organized .

Modeling Guidlines ,

Keep in mind that this is something that can be started and finished within a month! If you sugest the pod race scene with fans probaly isnt going to happen so keep realistic goals in mind.

A good idea to make it something everyone can enjoy chosing your favorite foot ball soccer teams etc probally wont sit well with others

Character descriptions , enviroments , tools , weopons , handicaps ,super powers , pets sidekicks , fashion , job description , so on are general things that will be easy to acomodate

Im not sure if friendly went over that well in the competition, maybe but consider outlooks on emotion! they can be taken as a character trait or a animators skill ?

These are just some guidlines to make it easier on everyone to read and follow! As the list grows ten pages long , post what youd like but please consider these to make it easier on everyone. Iin the end the sugestions may serve to decide if no other means is given

Regards
Cerreto ,LIL dragon

lildragon
01-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Great Cerreto, lets begin this again :)

Ok guys with only a couple days left, in the Pascal Challenge let's get some ideas going for the Feb (possibly March also) challenge, I'm not sure if we're naming it after a member this time, but I for one would love to get involved on this one :)

I suggest we lay down the ground rules first

How about this, with the recent trend of L.O.T.R stuff we don't want to go there, but how about modeling a medieval creature of some sort, this time a four legged beast, hmm but then again that might be diffucult to rig for some.... anyone have any themes in mind?

looking forward to this with high anticipation

marioucci
01-30-2002, 09:42 AM
i totally agree so far.

IMHO the idea of separate challenges(texturing, animation, modeling) is the best!

the topic must be universal and focused on skills improvement.

i love the medieval idea!
characters with lots of props are also great for learning!
a freestyle medieval maybe great (i.e. futuristic medieval style, alien medieval style, cartoon medieval style, etc..)
some envoirements are a cool optional too:)
lets make this "futurepros machine" roll!!!!

lildragon
01-30-2002, 09:45 AM
yeh nice twist Logan, ;) the reason I suggested Medieval is simply because they're challenging as hell to model, and what better way to flex your modeling muscles than *really* challenging yourself to create a beast of power for instance :) I love the furturistic idea too heheh

ACFred
01-30-2002, 12:47 PM
I like the idea of medieval -- always have, always will. I do think it's a bit mundane, but rather than complain, I'll try to add to it.

1) How about making it a medieval theme of a modern-day occupation like a dentist? Imagine what a medieval dentist would be like.......oooch.

2) For the beast-minded people, maybe we can limit it to a specific region, like ocean-going, forest dwelling, desert wanderer, etc.

3) As an alternative to medieval, why don't we invent a race of people, including build, skin color, history, etc. (quickly) and then have the monthly task be to populate a town with the various interpretations built by cgtalk artists. Maybe we could even have a side-by-side competition, where some people choose to model characters and others decide to do mechanical/architectural models to act as props for the townsfolk.

That's it for now. Brain's shutting down.

Alec

Joebount
01-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Hum, I would prefer the idea that is in Baby's thread :

with a pic of ref, to model a head realisticaly, or toony or caricaturaly (oh my god, my english is so bad !!! I shouldn't study that much !)

Well, read this thread ! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1408)

subagio
01-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Medieval is good but a little... fadish at the moment? I mean it's getting to where another Orc is just about as bad as the spaceships, lensflares and 'my first human head's of yesteryear. I say we lead trends instead of following them!

Having said that, obviously there's little that isn't being done, and I think ACFred is on the right track. We need to identify a variation on a theme.

Here's a few things I wouldn't mind taking a stab at:

Landscapes. There's a lot of scope for some serious modelling in picking a landscape setting. Something dramatic like a craggy cliffed shoreline for instance. It's even harder to properly portray this sort of thing without using textures.
Forrest. There's a lot of modelling opportunities in being even more specific and defining a smaller area to fill, and lot's of tangents to go on, creatures, odd flora, stately trees, good ground cover, vines, all sorts.
Verne. I've always been a fan of Jules Verne, and it'd be nifty to flesh out that Victorian steampunkish look.
Architecture. Pick a specific piece, or facade to aim for. In fact, perhaps just facades in general. Something like "model an interesting building facade". You'd have castles and temples and opera houses and museums and all sorts vying for attention.

--C

vertex
01-30-2002, 02:56 PM
Medieval is good, there are things to avoid like LOTR I agree, but maybe we should go for a demon demi-god I like the idea of a 4 legged creature and I don't think we should be worrying about model rigging or character skills.

The process should be all chip in characteristics that define the character then we have to look at how to build it, kind of push the bar high and then try and reach it.

Would it be possible to collect say 20 or 30 different features, place these in a poll everyone votes and the top ten feautures become our character ?

Vertex

Wintermute
01-30-2002, 03:51 PM
Cyberpunk.

some kind of future noir feeling, either as a character model, or as an environment (I'm liking the landscape idea)

big William Gibson fan here:D

cerreto
01-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Hmmmm im seeing something fun emerge with as many people that joined in last time , im thinking it would be interesting to let people decide character/ or enviroment based on the same theme with character traits time period etc in mind .

This would make it a lil more interesting for all! Instead of 80 characters you could have 40 characters and 40 enviroments. this would let us all get to see a lil more. The key would be to keep the traits related, for example on this challlenge we could have done space pirates and those who dodnt want to do the character could have done the pirates ship or pirates bar basing it on the character traits futuristic alien etc

Just an idea thats whats great about the challenge undr our collective brainstorming it can grow into what ever we all want maybe even enough for a short one day , maybe just fun and games keep the ideas roolin

Trav

Bytehawk
01-30-2002, 05:50 PM
I like where this is going.

Since not all of us are character/organic modelers a few related/sub challenges would be nice.

perhaps some things to do

a good voting system should be defined for deciding what topic or characteristics the challenge should have.

a good challenge website/place where all people can put their finished work (including original meshes, like for compositing them with the sub challenge enviroments,...?)

subagio
01-30-2002, 06:23 PM
Hmm, I doubt people would post meshes, but I'm sure if we really wanted to, we could work out a system to get each other's cameras, then comp our stills work together. Heck, people could get together and try teaming up on Clark and Blanche :) *

Just thought of another theme too: Sci Fi book cover. It's broad enough to encompass any kind of image, character based of not, and should be a lot of fun. If we go down that route, we could collectively vote on ideas for the storyline, which would determine the characteristics of the cover. I'd go for: alien world, exploratory (Clarke/Niven style), visitors.

--C

*Though there needs to be a by law that forbids a Clark-Blanche union ;)

Dragonius
01-30-2002, 06:33 PM
this tread just gets better and better...

i like the idea of environments... :D

steampunk and cyberpunk especially

should people be allowed to do both character and environments or should we be limited to just one?

Cédric
01-30-2002, 09:11 PM
I m more for the Subagio's theme. Why not a sci Fi Theme?
Book cover or a parody of a movie... So, you can make caricatures or cartoon styles...

"Mess with the bests, Die like the rest..."

Je suis plus pour l' idée de Subagio. Pourquoi pas un thème sur la Science Fiction?
Couverture de livre ou parodie de films... Comme ca, ceux qui le veulent pourront faire des caricatures ou exploiter un style cartoon...

"Bats toi avec les meilleurs, Crèves avec les autres..."

Taoizm
01-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Well, here's my 2 cents. What if you take the medieval theme, but shift the focus away from a super character to the acessories and enviroment surrounding it. Even recycle your previous characters and now insert them into an enviroment that either matches them or contrasts. That way the challenge starts to lean more toward scene completion rather than just repeating character modelling.

ooo...brainfart.... better yet what if the contest rotates through the various stages of setting up a scene. Modelling (characters, enviroments, toys), texturing, lighting, etc... ending several months later with a final scene or animation.

lildragon
01-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Taoizm interesting perspective, but what about those of us who's not in this present challenge? and what if you miss one? I like the idea tho, but I dunno....

Taoizm
01-30-2002, 11:24 PM
Then Pascal and Matt should donate their models. :D (jk)

Like I said, just a brain fart. If that were to happen I'd be one challenge down myself. :)

parallax
01-30-2002, 11:45 PM
future-noir?
Bladerunner
Bladerunner
Bladerunner.. eeh ok...

How about a interpretation of Atlantis? I think atlantis is a very good theme for a challenge. It could look medieval or futuristic, or maybe even a combination of the two.
I mean, lets face it, nobody even knows how it looked like. All they know it probably lies below the arctic ice.
(and yes, i'm into history and von daniken and stuff... :) )
Something like "last day on atlantis" or "the downfall of atlantis", and then try to capture that in the atmosphere of your creation.

MadS
01-31-2002, 01:03 AM
Well, I think I mentioned this before, but someone nixxed the thread on me. I'd be interested in something Post-Apocalyptic (Fallout) style. All you ever see is either sci-fi or medievil these days. I am really into humanoid organic modelling, so I may be biased here. How about something like "Post Apocalypse Warrior" or something.

This leaves the door open for any interpretation, whether it be human or alien, doesn't matter. Hell for those medievil fans, you could make it a cybernetically modified orc or dwarf on steroids. So ya, I can dig the CYBERPUNK theme as mentioned earlier.

Little bit of the fantasy mixed in with Sci-fi could yield some very interesting results. So I guess that would kinda fall under the sci-fi/Fantasy realm, huh? Kinda pleases all the fantasy as well as sci-fi fans here. Ok, I'm done now.

-MadS

p.s. Hmm, I just went full circle didn't I? hehe

lildragon
01-31-2002, 01:11 AM
Mads, I think you hit it there, the "fallout" type theme is awesome, I love that game :) and like you said it leaves you open to different interpetations, which is what we want....

this is awesome and it pleases both masses :) plus the environmentalist.....

So can we all agree on the theme as being

"Post Apocalypse"

if we can agree on that, we have our setting.... I for one love it :)

marioucci
01-31-2002, 01:19 AM
hey eb, i was talking with rodiño by phone a few minutes ago and he said something that make total sense to me:
we must be more specific on the topic description.
if we choose post apocaliptic as a theme what will it be?
a post apocaliptic dragon? humanoid? what props are a must have? which other things are must have?
i guess that if we set more specific parameters our creativity will lead us to very creative ways!!!!
like that tv with the parrot or the parrot missile!!!!!
or one eyed blind pirates:)
it will be very fun to see how the artists will solve the rules parameters:):). im sure every artist will do it in a different way and that will be great to all of us!!!
thoughts?

MadS
01-31-2002, 01:31 AM
Post Apocalyptic Warrior?
Post Apocolyptic Humanoid?
Post Apocalyptic Assassin?
Post Apocalyptic Samurai?
Post Apocalyptic Janitor?
" " Commando?

Something like that you mean?

Humanoid seems to work well, yet nail it down enough to stay away from mythical Dragons, yes? But hell, if you want to make a Dragon man, that could be cool I guess... An upright dragon with humanoid characteristics. I think the key here is to not nail it down too specifically, so as to give a little breathing room. We might be able to pull in more artists this way? I dunno. Or maybe we should limit it to certain races, be they mythical/human/alien? (ie, orcs, Giants, ogres, Humans, etc..)

And on the dragon bit. Why not let someone model a dragon? Say as a pet or something. Might be cool. Anyway, let's try not to restrict this so much that it gets ridiculous. :) I think it would be interesting to see how each artist interprets a post apocalyptic character, in all shapes and sizes. Texture work may even play a large role here, as grunge textures rule!

-MadS

Cédric
01-31-2002, 01:42 AM
I agree with MadS...
We don't have to restrict a lot the creativity... It' s really intersting to see how an artist will interpret a theme...
Of course, we can put some constraints, as we made for the pirate theme...

For the postapocalyptic theme, I see lot of mechanics and I ve never made these so it's a great luck for me to learn... :)

Je suis entièrement du point de vue de MadS...
Nous ne devons pas restreindre la créativité...C' est vraiment interessant de voir comment un artiste va interpreter un theme...
Bien sur, nous pouvons poser quelques contraintes, comme nous l' avons fait pour le thème du pirate...

En ce qui concerne le thème postapocalyptique, j' imagine bon nombre de parties mécaniques et comme je n' en ai jamais fait, c' est une bonne occasion pour apprendre... :)

muckywetnoodle
01-31-2002, 01:47 AM
how about adding to the apocalyptic character idea by saying:

Build an apocalyptic character. This character must contain these traits (open to suggestions)

-at least one main tool for survival
-a deformed physical trait (enlarged eyes from adjusting to blackened skies, gills to adapt to a planet surface now composed of 98% water, etc.)
-must be crazy from lack of communication with others

I'll post some more as I think of them.

Cédric
01-31-2002, 01:50 AM
yes muckywetnoodle, it's cool :D

"Mess with the bests, Die like the rest...

Oui muckywetnoodle, c' est cool :D

pascal_blanche
01-31-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by subagio
Just thought of another theme too: Sci Fi book cover

I like this one... and let's add some cheesy 50's style to it :D :D :D

MadS
01-31-2002, 01:56 AM
hey not a bad idea Muckywetnoodle. How about this:

- Atleast one(meaning you are not limited to one) "tool/device" for survival, whether natural or man-made. This could cover any sort of physical or mechanical trait that may have been either mutated/grown/or grafted onto the being. (ie. a breathing aparatus) This leaves the door open for cybernetic or organic modifying of a being to survive in it's harsh environment. Or it could even be something more creative like a special pet that the being has that help them survive like a symbiotic relationship? There are tons of things you can do here.

- Atleast one weapon. (Guns, bows, knives, swords, whips, etc..) For self defense/hunting/raiding etc.

- Bipedal?

Pascal: you don't get to vote. :P j/k Well, who is to say that your Post-apocalyptic character isn't sci-fi? Stick him on a book cover if you want to. :)

Cédric
01-31-2002, 02:03 AM
Before making the restrictions, we have to choose a theme :

-Medieval (bof, at least, for this time ;) )
-Sci-Fi (Yeahhhhh)
-Postapocalyptic (Yep)

So, what do you think about those themes?
But I m like MadS, I think we can regroup the Sci-Fi and the postapocalyptic themes...

Avant de mettre en place les restrictions, nous devons choisir un sujet :

-Medieval (bof, du moins, pour cette fois ;) )
-Sci-Fi (Yeahhhhh)
-Postapocalyptic (Yep)

Alors, que pensez vous de ces sujets?
Mais je suis du meme avis que Mads, je pense que nous pouvons regrouper le theme Sci-Fi et postapocalyptique...

cerreto
01-31-2002, 02:09 AM
Funny I was just thinking earlier on a theme like fallout. Having everyone do their description of what man will look like 500,00 years from now, taking how enviroment and circumstance would change the human form.

so fallout is cool i also think the next challenge should start a week from now instead of immediatly to give everyone a chnce to voice there ideas and let the first one wrap up .

What do you think

also i think having a focus is great but I dont think you should take the guidelines as a rule more a descriptive idea for example if tail is one of the guidlines 1 of ten and it doesnt fit your character then you dont need it but you should try to stay within the subhject matter

Cédric
01-31-2002, 02:13 AM
I m ok to wait a week... It's a good idea... An so, the winner will be able to mativate the troops ;) héhé

Je suis d' accord pour attendre une semaine... C' est une bonne idée... Et comme, le gagnant pourra motiver les troupes ;) héhé

lildragon
01-31-2002, 02:25 AM
A week from the end of this current challenge is an excellent idea..

and this fallout theme is mighty mighty nice.... having flexiblity like that would surely surface oodles of talent from around the globe again...

we should also think about those who don't want to model a character, maybe they could team up with someone that does and they would make a vehicle or terrain of some sort to aid their partner.... does that sound good?

Reason being this theme would is so vast it'll be a shame to leave out the non character modellers... imagine winning the challenge when you have a really cool character and your partner aids that design with a wild terrain or terrain vehicle :) I personally think that would be collaboration of this community oh so much tighter....

opinions?

Dan Dixon
01-31-2002, 02:26 AM
I think you guys hit it on the button, fallout \ Post Apocalyptic charactersis. I think is the way to go. I like the Biped idea but Humanoid. But he or she has to have part made out average junk that you might find incorporating Pascal idea 50's. But I'm in this .

MadS
01-31-2002, 03:08 AM
What kind of timeline are we looking at here? I'm thinking 6-8 weeks should be plenty. For those of us that work full time jobs :p

Martin-K-
01-31-2002, 03:22 AM
i really hope this isnt closed off to characters. but if we are going to make something post apocalyptic...then how about we model anything to do with that kindof style. so if lets say ...i wanted to make a vehicle for a character ..i could..

Wintermute
01-31-2002, 03:25 AM
the idea of combining one person's character, with anothers environment could get tricky..possibly even a little disruptive if people begin to disagree on the resulting compositions..

perhaps subcategories should be instituted here...
•characters
•environments
•props/vehicles/pets?

(all with the base challenge attributes applied)

with no limit on which categories one can enter...say pascal decides to make the ship for his pirate, I wouldn't have a problem with that, as long as the ship is judged without the pirate :D

or somebody makes an envrioment, a character, and a pet....I know it's a lot, but it's up to the individual to decide which categories to get into-

should be enough for all sorts of modelers :)

MadS
01-31-2002, 03:32 AM
Well, I think subcategories can be cool. But I disagree with seperating the props/vehicle/pets from the character. Simply because these things can add character. Maybe vehicles can be seperate or included?

So for those that want to do just a vehicle or something won't be able to compete in the character category, but on the flip side, the character entry that has props/pets/vehicles may participate in the vehicle subcategory. See what I mean?

I am not sure about landscapes. That would be in a league of it's own, I am sure. And I think it might be unfair to have character creations mixed with landscapes cause that might bias the end decision, and not everyone will be able to do a setting in such a short time (or find someone to partner up with), ya know?

sigma
01-31-2002, 03:55 AM
Keep it simple. A post apocalyptic character for the next challenge sounds good to me. I was hoping the pascal challenge would move into a rendering challenge (texturing) and/or an animation challenge (walk cycle). Oh well.

:p

Wintermute
01-31-2002, 04:02 AM
MadS, I agree with the problems with entering into multiple categories, maybe a fourth mixed category could be applied...for those who want to apply to multiple categories

thus my previous list with a little revision... :cool:

•characters/props(pets?)
•environments
•vehicles (they can get as complex as characters you know)
•mixed - for combinations of the above three

vertex
01-31-2002, 04:05 AM
I really like the way the threads for the next challenge are developing, I don't think that we need to seperate the sections. character, environment, vehicle, instead why not start with a list of say 10 character traits of which 8 have to be present in the model, and the same for environments and vehicles, a list of variables of which you can drop one or 2.

That way everyone gets the piece of the pie they fancy. If two people wanted to team up splitting the work between them then fantastic. Thats certainly in the spirit of the challenge and by defining characteristics for all elements challenges can be compared.

My thoughts.

Vertex

Bytehawk
01-31-2002, 04:17 AM
I like your idea, vertex

define some overall characteristics, like style, age,...
the specifics for eniroment, character and props

same rules as now, drop 2 and keep the rest of the rules to your liking.

sounds like fun

oh, and the models need to be textured. No?

cerreto
01-31-2002, 04:44 AM
textures will be for the texture challenge , which is in somone elses court the modeling chalenge should remailn as it is this time finished models can still be textured but displaying them in the 3d forum would be better ! lets try and keep some general guidlines so everyone can equally finish and particpate within the timeline

MadS
01-31-2002, 04:44 AM
"10 rules to go by; drop 2"? Doesn't that go against the whole "let's keep it simple" idea we're trying to enforce here? I think a few boundaries would be enough, and should be general enough that they leave doors open, yet not so general that they become pointless.

Might even be cool to have a template design for a CGchannel magazine cover that we could stick our creations on to? That could be very cool. And it might help promote CGchannel even further. I know that if CGchannel came out with a publication, I would definitely buy it.

Or another idea is to have VFX| magazine co-sponsor this challenge, and the winner gets thier character printed on the cover of an issue of thier publication. What a thrill that would be. :) And have the other entries, say in the top 10, displayed in a gallery section of the same magazine.

subagio
01-31-2002, 04:45 AM
This is getting a little out of hand. We're going all over the place. The first challenge was great because there were a good number of defining characteristics that constrained the participants. The fact that it was modelling only pushed the participants to spend more time there then they normally would at that stage, which resulted in the seriously cool entries. Whatever we go for next, I think we should agree to the stage at minimum. If we say it's rendered, textured artwork, then that's the limit. If we say it's modelling only, then texturing is ignored in the final analysis. If we say it's final frames, then 2D touch up is just about de riggeur.

If we're going to have another challenge, I say constrain it again. Let the strong survive. Let's fight tooth and nail here. Let's really give it blood, win or lose. If it's characters we go for, let it be so. If it's landscapes, then let that be the number. Both, done well, are equally as difficult, and imho, both are valid challenges to an artist's psyche.

--C.

PS Please take the previous post with a grain of salt. The poster is rather innebriated.

TylerHunter
01-31-2002, 05:04 AM
I think something a bit off the basic train would be nice. the whole midevil with a futuristic twist is always fun. Cybermages and what not so Ill toss up a set of guidelines i'd like to see and see what you all think. Looking at the results of the last challenge I think i will enter the next.

1) Pic a classic midevil creature. (goblin, ogre, troll, dragon, orc, warlock and so on)

2) Adapt that creature's gear and attire to a futuristic world.

3) Exagerate at least one proportional feature (ie, huge arms, or huge feet)

4) Construct a facial expression and pose that matches that expression. (mean demonic about to rip you a new one has been done too many times FYI)

5) Give it one rediculously off scaled tool or valued posession. Be creative, not some gigantic Axe or Gun. A huge Tome, a fire extinguisher, or pestiside sprayer.

Textures would be optional. but would obviously add a great deal, even more then a brazil render.

The purpose of this would be to make something with character that expressed an emotion. I think CG art needs more emotion. A good walk cycle is nothing compared to an awsome display of emotion..

Well thats my slant.. back to animating.

Tyler

MadS
01-31-2002, 05:05 AM
Am not! :P

fellipe
01-31-2002, 06:18 AM
to put some challenge into the challenge:

all the things that TylerHunter said, PLUS, it must be FEMALE....now we have a challenge.

edit: so we have

-)Medieval Fantasy Creature(Goblin, Ogre, Troll, Dragon, Orc, Warlock and so on)

-)Adapt that character gear and attire to a futuristic world, with 50's or 60's styles

-)Exagerate at least one proportional feature (ie, huge arms, or huge feet) (this is not very important tho )

-)Construct a facial expression and pose that matches that expression. (mean demonic about to rip you a new one has been done too many times FYI)

-)Give it one rediculously off scaled tool or valued posession. Be creative, not some gigantic Axe or Gun. A huge Tome, a fire extinguisher, or pestiside sprayer.

-)Background or Vehicle is optional.

-)Female! (i know its hard, but this is challenge right? )

ps: now Fledge have the oportunity to do some funky dragons =)

Fledge
01-31-2002, 06:19 AM
Sorry I dind't get a chance to enter that last contest, I was away from my comp for half the contest, and at work I've had no time since we are just finishing up the cinematics for SOCOM.

I'll be in the next contest, and fallout style sounds cool, as well as medievil.

Wintermute
01-31-2002, 06:24 AM
This realy is going all over the place!

TylerHunter's getting back to what we (imho) should be discussing here...the guidelines!

I for one am not much for character modeling, which is why I'm more for environment or vehicle concepts-but also like the idea of multiple categories to allow more people with varying strengths to participate.

as far as guidelines goes...

•post apocalyptic/future noir character or environment (vehicles?)
•human (or at least human constructed/inhabited)
•at least one survival tool (muckywetnoodle's addition)
•wild proportions? (could get very interesting when used on a landscape)
•characters look ragged and worn, terrains look very hostile

any more ideas for this list?

MadS
01-31-2002, 06:40 AM
uggh. This has gotten out of hand. Shoot me now. :P

Dragonius
01-31-2002, 07:04 AM
bang bang :p

i'd say that the challenge should concentrate on only one subject at a time, after all, cool landscape + cool character will be seen as better than either on their own.

but keeping a theme over a few challenges so that those who have time an so on can combine the results into a scene would be useful, thus providing a 'super challenge' every couple or so months

(pirates on a ship fighting cyberaliens from mars!)

cerreto
01-31-2002, 07:05 AM
WHOA ! :)

Everyone please refrain from makeing a list of rules! We are still trying to get ideas from everyone and give everyone a fair say, so dont make decisions yet but please keep suggesting Remember it is going to take a few days for everyone to get a chance to read and put in there two cents so lets make there opinions count also

Here is what the sugestions are looking like so far BUT they are sugestions still

medevil creatures characters etc / fallout characters enviroment vehicles /50 60 s themes involved

Basicly Try to read all the post so you dont look goofy asking the same thing or sugesting / posting s

This should follow the no textures strictly modeling but i dont see why enviroment vehicle or character cant all be intermixed as long as it follow s the general them and setting of the characters etc but thats what we are trying to do here what everyone thinks remember to be open to all sugestions and keep in mind its only a challenge

Regards Trav

TylerHunter
01-31-2002, 07:34 AM
Well I think the idea of capturing emotion should be first and formost... I made up the rest off the top of my head... :)

Why am on this FORUM I should be animating my FILM!.

Tyler

underdog
01-31-2002, 09:51 AM
I really like the fallout theme idea, it leave alot to be imagined. Whatever is decided it shouldn't be overly choked with to many rules...nor split into categorys. Just a few good guidelines and a few objects/traits that should be present in your model...

Adam Klein
01-31-2002, 10:43 AM
I think characters are the way to go all the way, more fun and more personality.

Insane clowns, angry animals of war, or...

Human mutations of post apocolyptic world, like when the Ice caps melt, or the tac plates shift until all the continents are at a 45 degree slope, heh,heh
thus leading, to Fish men, or slanted ankle dudes, hehe

By defining the way the Earth was destroyed would lead the characters in a bit narrower direction, then the restrictions could be defined by the survival features that would be need for that state of the Earth... It would get people thinking of function.

some ideas: Atmosphere ruined, people forced underground
or under water.
Another Ice Age perhaps?
Meteor hits the Earth
Volcanic takeover
etc. etc.

ADam kleIN

minus
01-31-2002, 11:12 AM
How about modeling a Sports Player in the future? -- Like maybe science gives us really large and smart rats so you could have a rat-baseball player. Or maybe we meet aliens in the future and they like our game of bowling ;). We could leave it open to any sport but it has to be a sport that exists today. Any character goes...be it smart flexible trees or whatnot. What do you guys think? -- This leaves a lot open for creativity.. and kinda is as dynamic as the last challenge which proved wildly sucessfull.

givetommoney
01-31-2002, 11:24 AM
i'll throw support for the post apocalypse idea thingy, but i think that the next challenge should separate skill level from advanced to not-so-advanced, and one for matt and pascal too

i already have an idea for this one..

parallax
01-31-2002, 02:33 PM
If there's to be another character challenge, also with rules like 1 exagerated limb, and a crazy tool or utensil, you get exactly the same result (though cool) as the previous challenge, to say:
strange off the scale characters, except for the pirates' hat.

Me votes in favor of the fallout theme.

Adam Klein
01-31-2002, 03:31 PM
I just thought of a sweet idea....

what about Ghosts, this would lead to a great variety... just think about it :) ..... ooooh, exciting!

.... I think this should rule out celebrity ghosts though, that could become really tacky.... ugh, ;) .....

Adam K.

Ben Woodward
01-31-2002, 04:51 PM
This is my first post.. so hello!

My idea for a theme is to create characters for the Matrix 2. You would have to say what their skills are ( hacking, combat... ) you could make a design for what they look like in the real world and one for what they look like in the matrix.

With this theme you could have combat animations, clothing and character design, and texturing challenges. You could put all the challenges in different sections, or users would just give their thread a title saying what challenge it is. For a texture challenge you could put up a ready made model for texturing. Same for the animators.

That's all.

Ben.

Transcendent
01-31-2002, 07:16 PM
I like the ghost idea.

JoBbE
01-31-2002, 07:19 PM
why don't we try something totally different? why not...
a baby? I don't mean that dancing baby style, I mean just a baby... it might be a human baby but that's boring.... so I'd prefer the challenge to be free in terms of chosing what kind of baby should be modeled.. so that in the end we'd get some really weired interpretations of the term 'baby' and really lots of different things!
so my suggestion is:
let's a thing/a person/a monster/whatever (this choice should be free)that you can actually recognize as a baby but that doesn't have to be human or anything else... just a baby!

:D

MadS
01-31-2002, 07:27 PM
Hmm, the idea about having seperate levels for tthe challenge might be a good idea. How about two levels: Advanced and Intermediate? Or Pro & Amateur? Or maybe that's just a waste of time. Any opinions?

Ben Woodward
01-31-2002, 07:36 PM
Why don't you just do a challenge and get it going, it doesn't have to have loads of rules to be as good as the last one, it just needs everybody to take part and contribute.

Matt-Clark
01-31-2002, 07:46 PM
I was going to say to try and avoid challenges that have already
been covered by sites like 3dluvr, which would rule out ghosts
which I remember being a theme there.
I checked at:

http://contest.3dluvr.com/archive.php

and it seems 'ghosts' was their first challenge back in November 1998.
Woah, it only seems like yesterday....

cerreto
01-31-2002, 07:56 PM
I agree with matt on the redundant challenges .

As far as the levels of users i think it wont matter. I mean we arent really competing so they might as well be in the same forum, otherwise you'll get into a whole can of worms. who is too good or not good enough , and kill some of the spirit. If there is someone ten times better than me it doesnt hurt me it helps ill learn

looks like the fallout theme is running pretty popular at the moment keep em coming

pabbloz
01-31-2002, 08:08 PM
I suggest do some creatures of Middle-Earth (The Lord of Rings...).

rsmith3d
01-31-2002, 08:31 PM
Why not let the winner of the previous contest decide the rules for the upcoming one?

Personally, though, I'd like to do some steampunkish stuff.

Richard Smith

MadS
01-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Steampunks can fit a fallout theme too.

As for what I suggested as far as competition levels. Let the entrant decide what level they wish to compete in. I wasn't suggesting that anyone else decide who goes where. ;) But that might even be a waste of time as well. I just think it would be more fair. I mean, for the last challenge, only a few people actually got attention, while the rest quietly faded to the wayside. The range of skill is very wide here.

dingo
01-31-2002, 08:55 PM
This is my first post. I have an idea for a contest hopefully it will fit in with everyones ideas.

I think that constraints are good. It's like getting tasked from a client or in art school. A good example of how constraints can add to creativity is how in the early years of MTV, you were constrained by that logo, thus forced to be creative, because you knew everyone else had the same limitation.

Anyways, my idea is:

Model an ANGEL

1. NO TEXTURES
2. ANGEL MUST HAVE A SWORD
3. ANGEL MUST HAVE WINGS
4. ANGEL MUST HAVE A HALO

Thus you could make a cyberpunk angel, an apocalyptic angel, a medievel angel, ...

Whatcha think?

Kaos
01-31-2002, 08:56 PM
hey there, i stood back and watched the amazing artwork being produced in the last thread..... and WOW, some nice work there...

However, i have a suggestion fo the next challenge, one that is generally shunned by a lot of artists getting started in 3D, and i think it is very important...

Landscaping....

And no, i do not mean : make a plane, give it segments, displace it: wahoo!!!!

what i am talking about is a fully populated realistic or imaginary environment, trees, bushes, grass, rivers, hills, mountains, clouds, flower, paths, bridges, huts, houses, mansions, castles.....
Old graveyards, cairns, dolmens.....
fairy forts, stone rings...
mushrooms, fungus, rocks, birds, animals...
old deserted fallen down farm yards with out buildings.....
water wells, wind mills....

endless possibilities....

my reasons for wanting a challenge like this are completely selfish:

i need to learn more about this kind of work for a job that i may or may not get......... but hey, if its not of your liking maybe the topic will be somethng of my liking

Cédric
01-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, I will put my 2 cents !

Peoples asked to make categories as amateur and pro...
But I want to told you why this challenge is so great.
Because there is not a competition spirit but a learning spirit... And, the "amateurs" can receive "pro" replies, which is very motivating... I m an amateur, and if I receive an advice from anyone of you, I will be happy and try to use as well as I can this advice so, if we are making two categories, the pro will be in a forum and the amateurs in another and we will not learn as much as we learn for this one...

This is my tought so tell me what you think...

For the subject, I vote for a postapocalyptic freestyle modeling, with some constraints... I think this is a subject which is very interesting and not very present for the moment on websites.

Well, I will stop there.
I hope we will keep the spirit of the first cgtalk challenge

Cédric
01-31-2002, 09:30 PM
I have more a little sugestion, it begin to have lot of subjects...
So I propose that the moderators or the winner keep three of them... After that, we have three days to choose one of those themes and three days to make 8 or 10 constraints...

What do you think?

"Mess with the bests, Die like the rest

cerreto
01-31-2002, 09:39 PM
Yes this is pretty much what we are doing ! :) We still need to discuss with pascal and eq but the idea is to give everyone a voice and go with the most popular theme so far it looks like there are defiently 2 popular sugestions

Pascal , Eq not trying to leave you guys out throw some ideas in here :)

Equinoxx
01-31-2002, 09:42 PM
yeah, let me read up and I'll shaed my light on it ;)

paulc
01-31-2002, 09:56 PM
I've already put my 2 cents in, but I'm going to out two more in!
I've been looking at some of the 2d art, and thinking that at some stage would it be a good idea if someone's 2d artwork was taken and then the challenge would be to develop & model it in 3d?

IMHO that would be a grrreat idea.

dingo
01-31-2002, 10:06 PM
Hey I like the Angel idea. Oops oh yeah I suggested it :)

jeffe43
01-31-2002, 10:27 PM
Lets go for the Medevil/Futuristic theme. Maybe a character with cyborg appendiges, or some sort of cybernetic armor, or even some kind of apparatus that the character uses to get around with like the spider-chair that the fish-face dude from the trade federation used in star wars ep. 1.

I'm definately for medevil/futuristic theme, though!

Khar_Negt
01-31-2002, 10:34 PM
Eh eh... all those idea and a lot of good one! Why not just design place(like the workplace as proposed a while?)
Or take crazy character like those from the nightmare before christmas?
I just said that 'cause LOTR, alien and so on... seen a lot of time :(

Althought I really like the post apocalyptic idea :D

jrockstar
01-31-2002, 11:09 PM
Hi, this is my first post ... I followed the last contest with great interest. I am now thinking about entering this one ... I think the post apocalyptic theme is great ... it leaves place to imagination since it’s a theme that is not too stereotyped.

Can’t wait to see how it’s going to turn out :D

lildragon
01-31-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi guys, as I watched this thread grow, I'm seeing a very heavy insterest into the "Post apocalyptic" theme so let's take a vote, and we can make this our starting point...

PLEASE VOTE HERE

http://www.eyecandystudios.net/temp/vote/

PLEASE VOTE HERE

arai
01-31-2002, 11:14 PM
yeah getting a non-character category would be nice. I'd prefer a vehicle/hardsurface thing to a landscape. I want to make choppers! heheh

-arai-

Dan Dixon
01-31-2002, 11:31 PM
HAY GUYS

It's starting to get some good feed back in here but I think LIL right maybe we can start narrowing the field down by putting things to a vote. But by voting doesn't mean were going to make up are minds on what were going to do for the challenge. but allow us to break up the idea a bit better so we can add some guideline .

By the way it good to see everyones into the next Challenge. It turning out to be good one with some amazing artists.

lildragon
01-31-2002, 11:38 PM
Thanx dan, and I thought this would be an awesome way to narrow down our suggestions right now.... as we progress I'll add more polls, it just makes it organized and I anticipate there's going to be even more entries this time around. So place your vote and we'll continue forward.... awesome guys

PLEASE VOTE HERE

PLEASE VOTE HERE

oh almost forgot ALL 2D OR OTHER ARTISTS ARE ALLOWED TO CHALLENGE

regards

arai
01-31-2002, 11:44 PM
well hopefully the vote will give us some ideas on the theme but as far as what the challenge contains I'm a little unclear. Characters? Vehicles? Environments? I'm a little worried that if we make it too big, ie "make a post apocalyptic scene with a character in it driving a vehicle" that we'll loose the number of finished entries. I liked the smaller focus of this first challenge, it allowed people to really put detail into their characters. Plus some of us have jobs ;) and making the challenge to big will probably put me out because I wouldn't have enough time to make it look good

-arai-

lildragon
01-31-2002, 11:51 PM
Exactly bud ;) I prefer a single thing to work on as opposed to 3,4,5 together... and I hope the poll will help us carry this out....

after 50 votes guys, we won't determine as of yet but we'll at least have a better understanding of the theme, then we can detail it more....

as we carry on I will add more polls, and as Cerreto suggested earlier, having a week to prepare this next challenge is a great idea.... ;)

PLEASE VOTE HERE

PLEASE VOTE HERE

P.S. sorry for reposting the link, but there are some that tend not to read the full thread ;)

cheers

arai
02-01-2002, 12:15 AM
it might be cool to get more than 1 category when we start the next one. ie once we have a theme down we could split it up into vehicles and characters for that single theme. would allow for different modeling along that single theme and some pretty cool entries. Granted I'm biased because I want to make vehicles :P

I think to many polls might get a little repetative. I know it will give the users input but I'd just like to see maybe 1 more poll after this one (which it looks like post apocolyptic is winning) which would be; How do you think this challenge should be split up

1: Characters
2: Vehicles
3: seperate challenge for each along the same theme.

hehe why not just make it a post apocolyptic setting with 2 categories.

Characters (insert traits to help narrow it down)

Vehicles (make a transport aircraft capable of infantry and/or vehicle insertion into hostile territory, the world is a war zone so keep in mind nice paved runways no longer exist)

heheh look at me get impatient... lets start...... now ...NOW!

-arai-

dingo
02-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Seriously, does everyone think that "post apocolyptic" or "medeival" is new or challenging? more than 1/2 the 3d video games out there are based on those themes. About a million horrible "B" movies based on those themes.

When I see something in those themes, one of the first things I think is "here we go again, a bunch of computer guys", I certainly don't think "wow I am gonna see something new".

Have you ever wondered how crappy sci-fi movies get made? Looks like a similar process here.

Hey instead of "post apocolyptic" or "medeival", why don't we make it a Chrome sphere on a checkered plane, or how bout a Teapot.

Fledge
02-01-2002, 12:46 AM
I definately think the contest should be split into separate challenges, environments, characters, aniamtion, etc.

I thought the baby idea was cool, how about a baby ..... dragon? heh, just kidding.

Also, great idea was letting the winner set a lot of the guidelines, would keep us from having to go through a million posts with a miollion ideas. Nothing too complex but the winner could take ideas from people and decide the final ruling?

Fledge

lildragon
02-01-2002, 12:47 AM
then what do you suggest dingo?

MadS
02-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Oh yes. Let's make an Angel. Cause as we all know, Angels are cool. Oh I know, let's make Cupids instead. Ya, we could have a whole badass slew of cherub variations. Cherubs and Angels wearing checkered vails and teapot halos. Good idea, Dingo. I'm in!

arai
02-01-2002, 12:48 AM
i was hoping the poll would be a little less "classic" 3d as well. Whether that means new made up concept or recreate something from wwII or vietnam war or something. Its harder to dictate a more origional concept for a challenge though, as an origional concept is a little harder to convey across a large readership, not to mention the problems the judges might face. Though I definatly see possibilities for subjects outside the current stereotypes.

-arai-

arai
02-01-2002, 12:55 AM
I should also note that with the current artists we have taking part in these challenges I dont think the topic will be that much of a hinderance. Look what these guys got out of alien pirates!
I think more important we just have to set the topic and go, sitting around debating about this will only delay seeing the cool wip's that are bound to start poping up once we get the next one going. Your never going to please everyone and as long as we leave the challenges a little open ended, people's imagination will continue to make these challenges showcase some amazing art.

-arai-

dingo
02-01-2002, 01:01 AM
I just thought of a good theme, how bout this one:

SLAVE AND MASTER

1. Must include a chain

ACFred
02-01-2002, 01:05 AM
OK,

I like the variations of the thread. I also like the dialogue this thread permits.

For me, I like the idea of post-apocalyptic characters, scenery or vehicles. The challenge, for me at least, is that I've never tried making a character along those themes.

I think the challenge for everyone else would be creating original characters from a genre that has already been done. Variations on a theme can allow for just as much creativity as trying to come up with a super original theme.

To each his own, but I think that the overall interests of CGTalk members speak loud enough, and many seem to be in agreement.

Keep up the dialogue. It will only improve the process.

Alec

arai
02-01-2002, 01:07 AM
heh thats pretty cool actually, and with the twisted minds on this board we'd get some good ones.

-arai-

cerreto
02-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Somewhat off topic but thanks to jean for leaving this in our hands ! This enables us to let everyone join in and brainstorm remember if your idea isnt big this time there will be a next.

The success of these challenges is for everyone to be on equal ground remeber you dont have to like it to join in also that is part of the challenge make yourself be creative under circumstances you normally wouldnt ..

I think its important to let the thread go through tommorow night many people are busy working and it is for everyone .

... CARRY ON ... :)

lildragon
02-01-2002, 01:21 AM
Nicely said Cerreto http://66.70.72.50/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif and by the looks of it PA general is winning by a landslide

PLEASE VOTE HERE

PLEASE VOTE HERE

Equinoxx
02-01-2002, 01:59 AM
well, time is short, but I'll pitch in my thoughts . . .
since people join these challenges to get better, I think focussing on a period of time [seeing that the theme is era based] that has NOT been allows for more freedom than a period of that that has come to pass allready. So post-apocalyptic / post-nuclearwar is definately my angle . . . this theme allows for a lot of creative freedom. What is the users view on how say a global nuclear war would affect the appearance of things. character buildings, vehicles, etc. I think that is the way to go for this challenge. Don't live in the past is what people always say, so why should we . . .

medievel as theme could be nice, but only if say how would a medievel age look in another dimension . . . see what I'm getting at . . . total creative freedom . . .

well, nuff saud for now.
Need to read this thread in it's entire still . . .

Dragonius
02-01-2002, 02:01 AM
hmmm, why stick to the usual ideas?

why not do summat like a clock?
mechanical in nature perhaps, but any style, size, type

there are some pretty odd ideas for clocks out there already and i'm sure peple could come up with more...

blc318
02-01-2002, 02:42 AM
Ok I like the PA general idea but I also just thought of another idea that I dont think has been said. How about aquatic fantasy creatures or enviroments?

Adam Klein
02-01-2002, 02:55 AM
I'm glad to see ya'll liked the idea, was that poll for real?? nice work!

ADAm KLeIN

......I was just thinking...
I just wonder how any judge will decide between a phat character and a superb vehicle..... seem tough to me, as I like building characters, but you might like vehicles .... The same varience of interest will exist with the EXCELLENT :) judges too

know what I mean, by having the topic split between any kind of model could create some bias just because of the model type ....

why not have 1 topic, and (since this seems to be the interest) have it split between Characters, Lanscapes, AND Vehicles.

Since more people are aware, I bet you can bank on the next challenge to be just huge... having it split might be a good idea.

If the next challenge is huge, and we're all doing the same thing i.e. character, then we'll begin seeing much more repeating of features ... not good karma, heh,heh :)
AK

arai
02-01-2002, 03:01 AM
I think the idea is to get seperate topics under the same theme, so again, if p.a. is chosen then they could give general traits for the characters and a general description of the vehicle. So there would be two different challenges, 1 for characters under the theme and one for vehicles, it was never my intent to have the vehicles go against the characters for the win at the end of this.

-arai-

dingo
02-01-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Adam Klein
If the next challenge is huge, and we're all doing the same thing i.e. character, then we'll begin seeing much more repeating of features ... not good karma, heh,heh :)
AK

With all due respect Adam, if the contest is limited, that will really allow for the opportunity to shine.

You see if everyone ends up "repeating" the same features, that shows that they are not very creative with the criteria.

The "winner" will be able to take the criteria of the contest, and do something with it better than others, yet still be within the criteria of the contest.

Thus it will be easier to pick a winner.

HapG
02-01-2002, 03:17 AM
I've been lurking through the current challenge and have really enjoyed watching the development of interesting characters.

Having an interest in participating in the next contest, I would like to make a few comments.

I agree with Dingo that the guidelines should avoid a stereotype. Make it thematic rather than a generalized description.
Why require it to be male, have a tool, big hands, etc... In my mind, these requirements limit creativity. A descriptive theme, like dingo's suggestion "Slave and Master", will provide focus to the project, yet allow broad creative freedom. Close similarity of projects, caused by strict guidelines, is not necesarily needed. This is a challenge, not a competition.

I realize that the current challenge did have specific descriptive limitations, yet let to some wonderfull designs. I think that it was the originality of the Pirate theme that allowed for charming, interesting, un-stereotypical (computer geek) character designs.

I also realize that this is a modeleing challenge, not a character design challenge. However, why not make the new challenge a project with more value and interest than just a modeling exercise. After all, it was the characters with great original designs that I liked most as finished projects.

Some theme suggestions:

After the Bomb (for you post-apocalyptic fans)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (anything from Jules Verne to Ant People)
Head in the Clouds
The Sheriff

dingo
02-01-2002, 03:26 AM
thanks HapG you articulated what I could not. I like your ideas also. I also like whoever mentioned something aquatic as well.

Again, my ideas for a contest would be:

"Angel" 1. must have wings 2. must have a halo 3. must have a sword

"Slave and Master" 1. must include a chain

parallax
02-01-2002, 03:40 AM
Atlantis. eehr.. i mean atlantis.
Atlantis, is kind of pre-appocalyptic isn't it?

lildragon
02-01-2002, 04:16 AM
Dingo and HapG

though I respect your thoughts, you have to think in terms of what a challenge means.... by setting limitations, we stray away from the "norm" hence the challenge in respects. If everyone had the creative freedom that work would be better suited for the 3D artwork forums, get what I'm saying?

What made the current challenge intriguing was the fact you *had* restraints, hence making the modeling a *challenge* do you see the trend here?

Tho making an angel may sound cool, there's nothing really unique about an angel with wings, a halo and a sword is there? I can point you to countless references of that art..... and the slave and master idea, that's a bit derogatory isn't it? this is meant to be a *fun* challenge to learn and grow.... we're not into bondage here ;)

like I said I respect both your thoughts, but you have to look at the big scope....

lildragon
02-01-2002, 04:20 AM
Ok guys, looking at the results of the votes, it seems there's a clear landslide of a winner for post-apocalyptic general so now that we have an apparent theme, how about getting down to the nitty gritty of it all, all in the meantime keeping the peace :)

So the current theme for the next challenge is Post-apocalyptic general, are we in an agreement?

Dragonius
02-01-2002, 04:33 AM
sounds good to me. :D

Equinoxx
02-01-2002, 04:37 AM
well, thinking post-apocalyptic, makes me think of a nuclear fallout. So anti-fallout gear for characters is a MUST [think futuristic gasmasks] for environement, think special seals for doors & windows. for vehicals, thinks seals again and perhaps special tires so they the rubber won't get eaten away by fallout chems . . .

just startin it off here . . . I could be way off . . .

dingo
02-01-2002, 04:41 AM
With all due respect lildragon, you prove my argument from a previous post. Certain limitations WILL make it more of a challenge, I have said this numerous times.

But one thing you do show is your limited creativity. I'm not trying to insult you.

For example, why would an Angel have to fit into your view of what an angel is? It doesn't mean that the wings have to be birdlike or feathers? They could be mechanical, or batlike, the halo could be barbed, etc. etc. Again you prove that there will be many like yourself who just see criteria, and produce something non creative, and you may have many duplicates. But the truly creative person expounds on what seems to be a limitation.

Also, particularly in regards to your statement of "Slave and Master" being derogatory. Again you are still thinking within the box. Have you ever thought from the perspective that a human could be a slave to their computer? How about someone as a slave to money? That's just a few examples of how that theme could be explored.

But you know what what if someones perspective of Slave and Master were in the category of subjugation. It could be Man and Beast, Beast and Man, Alien and Man, Man and Man. Either way their are numerous perspectives that could be explored, under that theme.

But just to make the point clear, that theme was not meant to be derogatory. But something that would cause REAL thought.

FYI, How ironic is it that I, an african american, would suggest the theme "Slave and Master" on the eve of Black History Month.

lildragon
02-01-2002, 04:49 AM
I'm not here to get personal, so I won't, I posted in the poll what peeps here had suggested, only you and HapG expressed interest towards your ideas, and this is amongst over 80% of ethusiam for PA.... that's all I'm stating

and btw yes it was an insult on your part regarding my creativity.... just to let you know...

cheers

Bytehawk
02-01-2002, 04:55 AM
I'm not much of a politician but....

post-apocalyptic general it is

for my part make a post-apocalyptic general angel :D

let's get some more details straigtened out so we can get some better idea of what we can and can't do.

ok?

keep it fun and perhaps you'll learn something underway

dingo
02-01-2002, 05:01 AM
lildragon,

you posted a poll before any
"different" types of categories were even suggested.

But, hey so be it, I'll model something, whatever everyone decides.

If it's PA, oh well, maybe the next contest will be more creative.

parallax
02-01-2002, 05:07 AM
I don't agree with you at all dingo,
As i said before, i think doing another character challenge with limitations like having to model wings, and a halo and a sword, will result in exactly the same way as the previous one did, as to say:
a model based upon an existing entity/creature/idea, but approached with a different angle, thus making it strange and surreal. In the end, its still an angel.

The first challenge was unique, and i would hate to see it turn
into a typical online contest. Limitations are good, but up to a certain point. There's a difference between constraining participants, and total bondage.

I'm all for the Fallout themed environment.
maybe with constraints like:
-indoors/outdoors
-time of day
-setting
maybe even add a little storyline.

Bytehawk
02-01-2002, 05:10 AM
good idea parallax !!!

i like it

arai
02-01-2002, 05:22 AM
How Specific should we get for our guidlines? I'd like to see something like this for vehicles.

Vehicle Type: Transport Aircraft

Restrictions

1: vtol or stol (major runways dont exist after nuke touch down)

2: Some defensive armament for warding off bandits

3: Able to carry a jeep or scout type vehicle (you dont want to spend to much time out in the radiation ;)

4: consideration of environment: open cockpit biplanes in a radiated area are not exactly a good idea

I'm working on a few more to top off the list

-arai-

dingo
02-01-2002, 05:24 AM
I guess computer geeks win. A PA theme is in about 50% of all scifi. From Akira to Matrix to Mad Max, etc...

Funny how parallax mentioned 3 criteria, and so did I with my Angel idea, but yet mine is "bondage". Again, the irony. If you were gonna call any of my ideas "bondage" suprised you didn't mention my "Slave and Master" idea. Hey, throw my ideas out that's fine.

Again just trying to point out, that post apocolyptic is about as creative a theme as "aliens" or "spaceship".

Take a chance people, push your limits. "Think Different".

Here's another idea, how about Candyland

lildragon
02-01-2002, 05:29 AM
Dingo, please keep the peace, you're not being mature here...

Matt-Clark
02-01-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
the slave and master idea, that's a bit derogatory isn't it? this is meant to be a *fun* challenge
Originally posted by lildragon
Ok guys, looking at the results of the votes, it seems there's a clear landslide of a winner for post-apocalyptic general

Post Apocalypse - fun??? ;)

El Mago
02-01-2002, 05:30 AM
What if we completely change the look of a dreadful ogre or troll.

Let's see. This guy Kunt, was expelled of the tribe beacause he loved "too much" everything around him. He was glad of living and developed a taste for arts far beyond those of his kin. He had an urge to see the world and learn about it. His last job (maybe his current occupation) was as a ballet dancer in a King's court, where each night, hundreds of people from every corner of his Kingdom come to see the dancing orc....

I don't know you, but the sole idea of that brute dressed like a ballet dancer (female) makes me laugh!

arai
02-01-2002, 05:38 AM
I think this thread has served its purpose, and further flames will just degrade it. I suggest locking/closing it and start up a new thread to discuss how we're going to do this assuming the current topic.
I think that everyones imagination will do just fine in this challenge and that if its not creative enough theres a 3dforum just filled with people ready to critique and praise artwork. I would rather spend my time figuring out how to take a new approach to an overdone theme (even though it might be tricky)than argue about what the theme should be.

-arai-

El Mago
02-01-2002, 05:39 AM
I'm sorry, I was reading page one of the thread and forgot about the other pages....

Sooooooorrrrrryyyyyyyy

I still like the idea though......

subagio
02-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Now now kids, let's be civil here.

LilDragon, I thought you were gonna give it until the end of the week to make sure everyone had a say.

And Dingo, is it just me, or are you not listening to yourself? You're arguing that we can take any theme and spin off new views of it. You're saying we should look at angels and figure out something new to do with it? Well, what's wrong with trying to find something new to do in the post apocalyptic genre?

I think by and large the theme is irrelevant as long as we're all having fun.

--C

PS Oh, I would have SO had much fun with the S&M theme. Wouldn'tve minded the angel theme either, though minus the 'must haves'. I'm sure there are a few angles left uncovered there. :) Still wanna do an Assimov/Niven/Heinlein book cover too though.

lildragon
02-01-2002, 05:47 AM
Hey Chris, no I believe it was cerreto I think that set the week thing... but as for a theme, it shouldn't take a week to determine that, the poll stated PA, so then I asked everyone again if this was ok, if it was still in the air, this will take forever as everyone wants a say :) but the general shift of interest is the PA theme.... now the nitty gritty of that theme, will most likely take a week...

cerreto
02-01-2002, 07:08 AM
Not saying the fallout theme is the only choice, but I'll use it as an example. Maybe I can help organize some random suggestions and thoughts, ok !

Part of these challenges are to do exactly what is bieng debated, be creative within some confines. It should make you think and research the story line behind the design and character of the enviroment and actors in it, along with the tools and vehicles they use.

Im assumming that this challenge is then oriented to the story more so than the character this time. Meaning everyone has the abilty to decide a vehicle, person or enviroment to model. Rather than doing a list of 10 must have rules: let people follow the situation of the theme something like the following

Post apocolyptic what we need to decide rather than specific character traits is what it is going to be like after a nuclear war and how it effects people, places,weather etc

1 . timing is this going to take place soon or in the distant future ex 10 yr 2000 yrs

2. the effects of nuclear winter the climate, color, damage the earth has taken: will it be frezzing cold and grey or arid and bright

3 Culture , are ther many survivors will it be warlike or peaceful after the blast, will people be forced to live underground, is there poison and disease run rampit. What would life be like frinedy hostile etc.

4 vehicles transportation , the need will drop or increase, how will it be fueled, will it be fueld? hot air baloons jeeps, pedal powered bikes , if its desolate large vehicles will be needed for long traves etc

5. Housing: huts, abandoned building ,cities, farms ,tribes

6. health accessories, will the air be breathable, will you need something to help if you go out? like gas mask ,would a weopon be needed like in the wild west and the dress heavy/ light

I think some guidelines like these that we all decide this time will continue to make the challenge different! We create the world and then bring it to life.

The suggestions for each will replace the rules that applied last time, for example instead of tall and skinny your left a lil more creativity by basing your character on a cold hostile enviroment where the air may kill you alone! This will give everyone plenty of creative freedom, but still fitting into the same chapter of a book

I am by no means the last word just trying to help keep things somewhat organised in a chaotic debate! Lets keep hearing from all of you !

Regards
Trav

Jeremy
02-01-2002, 07:12 AM
I think it's been said before but it would be cool to focus on the life in a PA era. Such as how ppl would change and how they would have to adapt to live in such an environment. This would also leave room for ppl to branch into vehicles and what not as well as character and what they would need to do to survive.

pascal_blanche
02-01-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Matt Clark
Post Apocalypse - fun??? ;)

huhuh I was thinking the same thing :D :D

what about a 50's SF illustration?( Can still be post Apocalyptic tho)

http://scifimedia.ign.com/media/comics/vault/WeirdFantasy21L.jpg
boy I love this style :D

MadS
02-01-2002, 08:44 AM
Oh come on Pascal. Half your art fits the PA theme anyway. :p

pascal_blanche
02-01-2002, 08:50 AM
I will not have the time for the next chalenge.. Just helping to find the next theme ;)

ACFred
02-01-2002, 10:52 AM
OK, so it's Post Apoplectic. Nice.

I think Pascal's idea of '50s pulp fiction allows for nice focus -- possibly too much focus, but a focus nonetheless.

So, on to specifics:

Timing: I think we need to set it waaaay in the future. Long enough for specific mutations to have taken place to match the new living conditions -- maybe 5,000 years maybe 50,000yrs.

Nuclear fallout -- I suppose nuclear fallout is as good as any other apocalypse.

Culture -- man shall rise again, but I think that only after hundreds of years of tribal pseudo-democracies would the later generations be able to consider trying to bring back technologies of old. In their attempt, new discoveries will be made and bastardizations of old technologies will be rampant.
No longer will the ethics of the 21st century guide man's scientific achievments. Instead, an idea that science above all else will dictate the progress of the future.
As such, cloning and experiments splicing DNA of disparate species becomes the norm. A genetic race will replace the nuclear race of old; all spurred on by the twisted tribal/political systems taken root across the tattered planet.
In their blind fervor, scientists will lose site of their prior aims to rid the earth of disease and famine plaguing mankind after the apocalypse, only to replace their focus with building a superior strain of hybrid man capable of withstanding the rigors and hardships life now offers. In an attempt to determine whether or not their creations can withstand even worse condtions, the scientific community decides to pump even more noxious chemicals into the air, making life for the general populace even worse than years immediately following the apocalypse. (blah, blah, blah)

Transportation: dunno. whatever they do, they'll have to come up with something other than petroleum powered vehicles after a thousand year or so -- unless some of the new theorists are correct about the earth constantly producing oil from it's depths and not being produced by ancient decomposed fossils.

Health accessories: Due to the chemicals introduced into the atmosphere by scientists developing their genetic masterpieces, mankind is forced to wear respirators and "secondskin" (tm), a skin-tight covering that enables the wearer to withstand the climate outside. Unfortunately, the chemicals in the air are so harmful, "secondskin" lasts only 40 minutes before breaking down completely. Since air-tight, self-contained suits are not available to the general public, "secondskin" has become the only means of safe travel out of doors. Because of secondskin's short lifespan, society has evolved around self-contained living units as well as traveling mechanisms used to quickly move a person great distances to obtain the scant resources available. (more blah,blah,blah -- I'm tired).

That's it for now.

Alec

Equinoxx
02-01-2002, 02:45 PM
I think there HAVE to be a few limitations/rules in order to make sure it is obvious that all entries were made for the same challenge. Look at the last one. if you take them all and look at them, it's obvious that the theme was Alien Pirate.
And I do think that certain things have to be defined. I mean, if we're going for a post-apocalyptic / post-nuclear war theme, than if characters were build, you have to portray how the change in environement would affect the wardrobe. if vehicles were build, the model has to portray how the change would affect traveling with vehicles.

now I know this has probalby been said a few times allready, but I think it's really important to set a few rules BESIDES the theme.

that said, on with the show :D
and back to work for me ;)

Totitch
02-01-2002, 03:16 PM
I realy like the idea of a Sci Fi book cover with a 50's style...
It 's more original than medieval or post-apocaliptic characters...
I'd like to see "fresh" pictures, but finaly the subject is not realy important...
Just find something realy original with an important number of defining characteristics that constrained the participants...

It will surprise everyone...

what about (For exemple):

- a Sci-Fi book cover...
- 50's style...
- A diabolic dummy fish or monky who wants to dominate the world...
- His incredible Destroy machine

Excuse me for my English

epatnor
02-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Close the thread, let the big boyz evulate the input so far, decide and get on with it! :)

I will give it a try this time, if only I can find the time!

Everyone´s eager to start - let the games begin!

Joebount
02-01-2002, 03:20 PM
Guys, we musn't forget that we have a time limit for the challenge, so don't ask to much in the basis (1 character+1 vehicle+1 landscape+textures...)

cheers

lildragon
02-01-2002, 03:34 PM
I agree with epatnor and Joe on their last comments....
with epatnor I spoke to Equinoxx but not Cerreto or Pascal as of yet.... so what we decided is to close this thread and start a new, with the last guidelines that Cerreto posted... this way we can taylor the next challenge even more...

We know the theme so let's fine tune it...