PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded a Shader now what?

acjwalker
05-16-2004, 12:21 AM
I just downloaded a glass shader from a website. I have but it in the data\dspresets folder. Now how do I apply it to a model? do i have to asign a material? I have no idea. I nie tutorial would be nice

Sil3
05-16-2004, 03:00 AM
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=2429

acjwalker
05-16-2004, 01:50 PM
When I click on load and go to where the shaders are They do not show up! any help?

acjwalker
05-16-2004, 01:59 PM
When I click on load and go to where the shaders are They do not show up! any help?

Ablefish
05-16-2004, 06:34 PM
What's probably happening is that you're trying to load the preset into an illumination node when it was created at the material level (one level up). When Loading a preset, the browser will only show loadable presets.

Quickest way might be to press '5' and open up a browser. Get to your saved file and drag it onto the object in a viewport or into an open rendertree window.

acjwalker
05-18-2004, 01:28 AM
I have doen what was said above and it works fine on an "object" but i need it to be on a selection, cluster of polygons? it wont drag on to the selection, any help?

Iysun
05-18-2004, 07:50 AM
just select your object with the cluster, then open the render tree, and make sure that you have the cluster selected in the render trees drop down text box, then just load your shader and connect it however you choose

Ablefish
05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
If you've made your selection into a cluster, you should be able to drag the material preset from a browser onto the cluster in the Explorer as well.

acjwalker
05-19-2004, 01:24 AM
I have done everything above up to the last two posts. They both work but only with some shaders. What I need is a car one.

All the car ones I have do not work on clusters no matter what way i try.

Either can someone explain how i get round that or give me some other places rather than xsibase and highend3d.com i can get shaders from?

Ablefish
05-19-2004, 01:34 AM
If you can get the shader into the scene, whether by dragging it onto a dummy object from a browser, dropping it in a rendertree, or loading it through the preset controls of a property page - you've won the battle. Find that material in the Explorer and hold down ctrl and drag the material onto your cluster. That'll make a copy on the cluster.

The shader may require you to define a texture projection on your object... it's hard to say. Maybe you could provide the path to one of the shaders you're having trouble with?

acjwalker
05-19-2004, 11:40 PM
http://www.highend3d.com/xsi/shaders/ and download

"carpaint v1.0" by By karl schaedler

thats one that wil not work on clusters ur help has been great so far.

Ablefish
05-21-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a feeling that the problem is that the shader is so old that many of the render nodes that it's trying to hook up through the preset are too different to recognize.

However, you can still get it in.

What I did was create my cluster and assign it a material.

Open that cluster material in the rendertree.

Open up a browser and drag the saved out preset from the browser to the rendertree.

You'll now how two Material nodes in the rendertree. That won't do, so unhook the Strauss from the Metallic Carpaint material and plug it into the original Material node. That worked for me.

You may want to rebuild the tree using the newer nodes. To see what I mean, compare the Incidence node in this preset to the incidence node you'll find in the Nodes menu of the rendertree.

acjwalker
05-22-2004, 02:55 AM
Nope, i cant drag it on to the render tree. I have even tried on a neew object!

It works using a candy shader from the same website but its not the one i want.

Ablefish
05-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Weird, it worked for me with 3.5.1. What version are you using?

acjwalker
05-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Im using 3.01thats probably the problem!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.