PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Wip

Warden
01-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Here is a character I started a while back and had to stop working on due to paying jobs. My schedule has cleared up for the next few days so I intend on finishing him (although I never seem to finish anything). All comments are welcome. I don't mind the harsh ones.

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-549.jpg

pswitzer
01-30-2002, 09:58 AM
I absolutely ador the sour look on his face. You've got really good details in the face, nice subtle wrinkles. May we see a pre-smoothed close up? Really nice hands.

Not sure about the crease down the back. Doesn't fit around his shoulders and neck. Keep up the excellent work. Looking forward to a finished version.

stark-001
01-30-2002, 11:52 AM
Good work ... i love this one !

goosh
01-30-2002, 12:00 PM
Wow.. awesome stuff

Can't wait to see it finished

Are you planning on animating him at all?

J

goodlag
01-30-2002, 07:31 PM
I like it a lot.

looks great

pabbloz
01-30-2002, 08:03 PM
Fantastic!!! very very good and original!!
I love his hands!! (tutorials?).
Very good muscles.
Very detailled head with personality and expresion.
Good render.

where can I see more of your stuff?
What program are you using?

paulc
01-30-2002, 08:15 PM
Ditto, excellent work. Real style, could you show us the wire frame, what techniques you used and all that. Love it

JacquesD
01-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Really good work, specially the face expression.
I'd say that maybe the muscle from the chest to the shoulder look a bit weird but as I've never seen any Goblin in my life I can't really tell :)

mickatt
01-30-2002, 08:20 PM
wooowoooo impressive work Warden very very nice modeling!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Come on post your other work!!!

cerreto
01-30-2002, 08:25 PM
seen your work earlier great stuff ! i also like how your render turned out in the nwtk forums any hints on light set ups or the shader etc great proprtoins only thing i see a lil odd to me is the pec to shoulder muscle seem to have 2 color bones , great stuff ]

chlywly
01-30-2002, 09:24 PM
very nice I love it :) show wirefframes please :)

Pentagramma
01-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Wow ! Beautiful!!:D :D

I was just thinking about 3d goblins, and I've concluded there couldn't be new things on the theme ... you showed me I was really, really wrong.

Can you post wireframes/poly cage images?

Keep going, it's amazing.

fellah
01-30-2002, 10:08 PM
wow, the head is one of the best heads i've seen made in 3d! I love the expression, I can almost feel his soul through that pic, you'll have to finish this one! :)

orö
01-30-2002, 10:31 PM
GREEEAAAAT WORK !!!:D

A very nice Idea to model the Eyes closed. (It's much better to animate:) )

can't wait to see the next images...

Oliver

Warden
01-31-2002, 01:22 AM
I think you guys are right about the pec/shoulder junction. I always had a problem with that part of the model but now that I've heard it from others I know I need to fix it. That seems to be the hardest joint to model and rig correctly.
The rendering is Lightwave 7 radiosity with an hdri image from here:
http://radiosity.tripod.co.jp/hdri/lightprobe.htm

Here are some wire shots and a different pose.

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-553.jpg

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-554.jpg

FIREDD
01-31-2002, 08:40 AM
great!
:D

AnimaLMotheR
01-31-2002, 09:51 AM
Smashing job. :)

Blackarts
01-31-2002, 10:54 AM
great model! Lots of personality and well built bye the looks of it. Kind of Gollum-esque?

xynaria
01-31-2002, 12:42 PM
Masterful piece of modelling and a lesson to me to actually bother to look at posts that say Goblin in future. :)

Krep Suzeth
01-31-2002, 02:45 PM
Woua !!!
The face, the hands !!!!!!! Incredible !

Really great modeling ! Stunning !

Krep

el diablo
01-31-2002, 03:31 PM
is he modeled in a posed position or is he rigged? it would be a shame to have modeled him like this to later wieghting him out or binding him before you are done modeling. the character has good form and seems to have a lot of personality. I'm just confused a little to your workflow....el diablo

3D Chop Shop (http://www.3dchopshop.com)

Silmarillion
01-31-2002, 04:20 PM
This is one of the best models , i ve seen so far....
Great work Chris...

parallax
01-31-2002, 06:02 PM
great model. The hands are great.

Anchuvi
01-31-2002, 06:02 PM
Very nice model...Would love to see it when its completed.

pensart
01-31-2002, 08:23 PM
Love the modeling, ever tought of using goat legs?
U know, long hairy legs and a tale?

Raul-Reznek
02-01-2002, 12:20 AM
wooooooooooooooow, now i'M GONNA HAVE TO SAY IT again, I'm out of my league BIG TIME.
I'm completly 0 comapred to u.

Facial Deluxe
02-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Doh Chris, it was you !
ALright, saw you on NT Forum, when will you finish this guy, can't wait !!!
Ps: thanx for the pirat message...

Cheers.

Facial.

Cesare DeRossi
02-01-2002, 10:21 PM
you'd be better to finish him... cause it's a nice model.
very well shaped.

hope to see a new update. :)

jukumari
02-02-2002, 04:33 AM
I just registered here and this is one of the best models I´ve ever seen, congratulations:p

sigma
02-02-2002, 04:40 AM
W!cked model Chris. I love the hands.

Kenneth J
02-03-2002, 12:53 AM
amazing :D

Daxx
02-03-2002, 01:54 AM
:)

Impressive!

RoRo
02-03-2002, 02:10 AM
(oo) good

ToddD
02-03-2002, 02:13 AM
Wow, impeccably modeled, and really has some personality! Usually I don't look at "Goblin" posts, but this 1 does stand apart from the others, totally not CG looking...... Expressive and Impressive!

Maximus3D
02-03-2002, 07:34 PM
I love the fairytale, cartoony, nice looking, "kind" expression and body design of your Goblin. Keep up the awesome work! :)

LouisBrowne
02-10-2002, 06:02 AM
I want more...

Excellent work, I can't wait for that update I just know your gona post
:D

big b
02-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Hey, all I've to say is........................

You Efffin kick arse.........

that is all

mr.bean
02-10-2002, 02:57 PM
beaut

TBKoen
02-10-2002, 10:14 PM
This is really proffesional work...with a little texture it could look like it came straight out of "the lord of the rings".

u should at some nipples and a nasty bellybutton.. i think that would make his body come a bit more to life.

Awesome...we want to see more dude...keep posting updates;)

Matt_Forcum
02-10-2002, 11:45 PM
yeah man, there arent enough nipples on characters now a days. I just like the word Nipples. Nipples, nipples, nipples. Nipples are fun. unless its a suit for a batman movie. Tell me, why is it that batman and Robin both have nipples on their suits, but batgirl didn't? thats a rip man!

Warden
02-14-2002, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warden
[B]My schedule has cleared up for the next few days so I intend on finishing him (although I never seem to finish anything).

well, best laid plans...

my work schedule hasn't been real hectic but other difficulties kept me from working on this guy since my last post
I added nipples and a belly button as suggested and I think that the collar bone problem looks better, although you may not be able to tell from this pose
maybe I'll actually be able to add some legs to this guy in the next few days

thanks again for the kind words

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-612.jpg

Titan
02-14-2002, 10:41 AM
looks kinda like gullum, from Lord Of the Rings...not that that is a bad thing...
excellent work man, I get a real renaissance feel from the style of the art...very michael angelo-esque.....I love it!

D. Phoenix
02-14-2002, 11:44 AM
Superb work - the poses of the character are as interesting as the modelling itself.

-D. Phoenix

leigh
02-14-2002, 01:25 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Incredible work! This is absolutely brilliant. I particularly love the wrinkle detail around the nose - lovely touch! I can't wait to see it textured.
Superb. Amazing. Sublime.

xynaria
02-14-2002, 02:01 PM
!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!! !!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!

This seems to be creeping up towards six stars......kill him now while we still can!!!!!!"!

:p :) :) :)

Gilgamesh
02-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Superb work - the poses of the character are as interesting as the modelling itself.

Yeah. The last image looked like a deodorant ad. :) Seriously, though this is great stuff.

toma
02-14-2002, 02:53 PM
Hi Warden !

Yes, that's wonderful. I especially love the physical aspect of it, especially of its face, having a sorceer nose, a big space between nose and lips, the upper lip being more in front than the down lip. All this leads to something that must exist.

Am i wrong or is this a photography ? :D

I love it, sincerely. This creature looks so realistic ! I'd love to see more of it. It seems that you have not updated your site with it, will you soon ? And what do you plan to do with this guy ? Maybe texture him and why not animate ? God that would be just astonishing !

Thank you for posting such great art Warden, thanks a lot. This kind of image convinces me that cg images CAN be just gorgeous, and it just make me wanting to do the same !

Bye

Facial Deluxe
02-14-2002, 04:50 PM
Hey Warden,

When will you finish that guy ?
Mmmh, theres somthing wrong IMHO with the shoulder connected to the back muscle. It's too much plugged, IMHO, so that the back muscle don't connect that high.
But what a great character !!

chrislomaka
02-14-2002, 06:38 PM
wow. incredable stuff, man!

if you want my opinion on what to improve, i would say:
1- the pec/shoulder muscle joint (already discussed, so i'll leave that one alone)
2- the size of the upper arm. personally i'd like to see it longer, but it *is* a goblin, so you can make it any length you want, but in the last pic or so, it looked like the muscles there were way too small to lift that huge forearm and hand as gracefully as the pose looked (very nice pose, tho :) )... so i'd suggest considering either making the upper arm longer (making the muscles there bigger in effect), or just making the upper arm muscles bigger...

Just my opinion, tho ;) stunning work.

GladeR
02-14-2002, 08:12 PM
This Goblin is amazing, I can't wait see complete the model :p
the proportions are very realistic , he have a lot of details that they enhance the model, fantastic.

Keep up it Chris. :D

pluMmet
02-14-2002, 11:48 PM
GladeR said: proportions are very realistic. I just had to laugh. This model is awsome and does seem well balanced and proportioned. But as far as very realistic, could someone please tell me where I can find a real Goblin so I can compare...LOL

not trying to bust on you or anything GladeR...(sorry if i offend)

'sTiLl tRyinG to pluMmet to ThE COre.'

GladeR
02-15-2002, 04:28 PM
yeah "PluMmet" you have the reason OK "the phrase is incorrect" but, I meant than this model is very proportionate and have one aspect more realistic than a lot of works than you can find here, I didn't mean than this character was real, only than is one big work, alone that.

:D see you

Fizz
02-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Very cool
I really love the overall expression

Only one thing I think that the chest and the belly could use a little more detail

But hey its very cool already
Love to see more of it

Piz
02-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Dear Chris,

... Your model its Fantastic.... a beautiful sculpture...:D

Did you do something for Cinema Industry?

Bravo! :)

Piz :D

steve jackson
02-16-2002, 07:03 AM
its a very nice model .keep up the good work

Blue
02-16-2002, 07:15 AM
Very nice.

pascal_blanche
02-16-2002, 09:07 AM
absolutly beautifull work Chris!! :D :D

Warden
02-16-2002, 10:41 AM
As I was starting to model the legs I realized that I never really decided what kind of legs and feet this guy would have. I had yet to sketch out his lower half.

I didn't want to do goat legs, in my mind I saw him with a squatty hunched over stance with his knees in front of him. (I probably do have gollum on the brain.) I originally wanted to make talon like fingers and toes and thought of doing wings too. This is probably why I exagerated the lats. I assume that is what you were talking about, Facial. I've adjusted those per your comments.

So here is a quick sketch of what the legs will problably look like. I modeled the first half of this guy really quickly, but I couldn't seem to get started on the lower half. Hopefully this sketch (I always harp on about planning models on paper first, and I'm now just starting to listen to myself) will get me going.
Let me know what you think about the design (not the technique). Or maybe he just needs big "hobbit" feet. Give me some feedback.

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-618.jpg

Thanks for your critiques. They all help.

Titan
02-16-2002, 11:48 AM
personnally I think he would look cool with wings of some kind....

The legs you have sketched are cool, I'd pursue that route as well....

right also render some gadgetry or ornamentation to give him a little charater depth....

great work man!

TBKoen
02-18-2002, 04:46 AM
first of all i wanted to say that you're doing an awesome job...but i think i mentioned that already:P

anywayz... i think wings are a bad idea. Wings are for elfs or big demon like figures. These guys are more like they come with thousands at a time.
i know it would look cool, but i think u have to look more at the essence of the character. like when u add a "thumb" to the feet...he likely to be able to climb in trees. like monkeys. and i never seen a goblin climb trees:P so personaly i think human legs and feet (with 4 toes or something) will do.

pascal_blanche
02-18-2002, 04:53 AM
I would go for some satyr legs... They would balance your caracter a lot and add a lot of style too http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/multimedia/images/jpeg/s/satyr.jpg
The legs.. look at the legs , not the girls damn you !!:D :D

chlywly
02-18-2002, 04:56 AM
I also think the wings are overload, bad idea :) He is a goblin a, ground dwelling creature leave him be, so that we may bask in his bodily beauty. Other than that, the feet look cool, but something is bothering me about them... Maybe it's the size i'm not sure, I see smaller feet and smaller legs I think..
I think if you want to keep the size of the fingers and feet etc, then you should extend the size of his fingers.

steve jackson
02-18-2002, 05:46 AM
i think the drawing of the characters is perfect and the legs fit him qutie nicely ,the legs legs pascal suggested are more suited for a goat like character of some sort but not the goblin i think you should stick with.they are pretty sweet.

if10w
02-18-2002, 07:43 AM
beautiful, makes me forget that im looking at a cg work.

Matt_Forcum
02-18-2002, 12:38 PM
wow those are some great legs. i havent seen a set of legs like that on a painting of a girl in some time.......ahhhh yes. I think they are a little to femine though. I think some goat like legs would look better. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. I kill me sometimes.......dont laugh, its ok, it wasnt funny anyway.

Silmarillion
02-28-2002, 11:21 PM
hehe , girls i loved them

echo
02-28-2002, 11:28 PM
This model is fantastic, we totally forget that it is 3D, you have a very nice style

DWIEMER
02-28-2002, 11:31 PM
just wanted to rate you cause i really love his head!!! fantastique

Stresspill
03-01-2002, 01:36 AM
Wow! very solid looking model you got there. For the legs I would go for big toes with yucky looking yellow fingernails. I think this guy should be skinnier or he should in the other hand have big "beer belly" with and dirty belly button. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't go for satyr legs. This fellow dont really seem to have satyr material in him. heh.. He has big hands so I think that big feet would balance the character quite well.

mr haw
03-01-2002, 07:11 AM
well....the belly obviously need some detail bec the head and arm is well detailed...add ribs also...

i have a BIG pot belly from drinking and yet i see my ribs and the top pair of my ab muscles! LOL

ps: pot belly not as big as ur goblin's!!!!

kreno
03-01-2002, 10:17 AM
The level of detail is amazing. Just a suggestion, why not add some sort of leather loin cloth? Or something along a slightly chipped away club of some sort, just a piece of wood that looks like it's been widdled to be a club. You know what I'm saying...

dave_baer
03-01-2002, 12:40 PM
MAN! *sigh*

Pascal.. where'd u find that pic? Is that Boris Vallejo or Julie Bell?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.