PDA

View Full Version : Clothes and rigging ( Max and Lightwave )

Bupa
07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm preparing my demo and need some advise. I'm in the stage to model my character. I'm model him naked and put on clothes later. I'm doing this because I change from time to time clothes.

Now, I'm using Max and later on also LW. I'm doing this to show that I can work with this 2 programs and to see for myself what is the best ( still a newbie in LW ). So suggestions for the 2 or all welcome.

Here it comes: In Max I'm going to use bones and character studio. And this for the same character ( 1 bone character and 1 biped character). The reason why I'm doing this is to see what works best ( never used bones in max before ).

I put my bones and/or biped in the mesh and rig. What I do with the clothing? Because he's switching from time to time clothes how can I stick the clothes on his body? Can't find anything about this. I allready rigged some models but they allways had the same clothes.

For LW I don't know yet. Suggestions are welcome.

If this question is not for here please put it then in the right one.

damon579
07-16-2002, 10:12 PM
perhaps just have different models of the same character with different sets of clothes on? perhans one model being "man with blue pants" then another model being "man with red hat". just throwing an idea out there. i have no idea how max works.

LFShade
07-17-2002, 01:52 AM
You can use the same set of bones to skin any number of objects. Just add a skin mod on the various articles of clothing and set up the weighting so it looks good; it won't affect your already-skinned character. When you want to change clothes just repeat the process.

Bupa
07-17-2002, 07:11 AM
damon579, it's too much work ( i tought of that ). have to much to model to model every character 3 or 4 times.

LFshade, I'm going to try that.

Anyone can give me tips for LW?

Yiorgz
07-17-2002, 09:24 AM
What LFShade was saying was that you just make the clothes in a separate layer. Make sure they are the same detail as your underlying mesh (or you might have problems) then load them in to your scene and click "Use Bones From" and pick your layer one object.

This way you have one set of bones in your "Naked Character" layer which can affect all the clothes on other layers.

You could even model one character with a couple of different cloth types on various layers, save as a layered object file and use Dissolve to disable or enable different clothes in the same scene over time.

Normally though, people set up a scene per shot. Thats the trick with 3D - not so much to build an elaborate world that has infinite possibilites - but build only what will get seen. Like in theatre sets they don't bother with the back of some things because you won't see them.

Mike RB
07-17-2002, 03:18 PM
does he switch clothing on camera? IF so good luck, your nuts. :)

Yiorgz
07-17-2002, 03:47 PM
MikeRB: I'm not nuts.. really .. :)

I think what Bupa's question got answered pretty well by LFShade and it works basically the same in LW.

You normally would not change clothes midway through a scene, unless that was part of the plot. Again though, you would have a different scene for each shot anyway.

I think --- what Bupa was getting at was having one self contained file with all of the "accessories" like hat, cap, gloves, jacket, tshirt, etc all in one place so that he can modify the character and clothes at the same time, instead of manipulating more files.. (Is that right Bupa)

There are other threads on the board that talk about similar things and well.. for animation, you can't just make the one "universal character setup" because of what characters can do it would be too much for some scenes to have all this extra junk in one place.

Build for each scene/shot, only what you really need to see and keep assets as separate objects. Anyway, I've already typed too much.. :insane: maybe I am nuts.. :)

Bupa
07-17-2002, 10:46 PM
Well, my character is not going to change clothes in front of the camera. Altough he's going to make some moves to do that, but then the camera is panning away from him so you don't reaally see him doing that.
My character is an ancient greek hero and in some scenes hes has only a tunic, and in other scenes he's having a harnas etc ...

Anyway, thanks for the replys. It helped me think about how to do begin because I didn't had any clue.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.