PDA

View Full Version : Render taking for ever

DiNKArt
05-14-2004, 11:48 PM
I made a scene that is has 76564 total polys. When I try to render it takes for even to do the most basic of rendering setups. An example would be chossing photoreal in render options but not adding antialiasing or anything else. Is there any way to speed this up? It is talking minutes on the lowest setting and I need to render my scene out that is about 1000 frmaes long. 5 minutes a frame times 1000 equals 5000 which eqauls 3 and a half days. Any help please. I am running on a g5 mac with lw 7.5c. I have 8 but need to get panther first.
Thanks

MrWyatt
05-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Are you in such a hurry? I mean when you have to deal with deadlines you should allways plan ahead some extra time for rendering as you can never know how long exactlly tha rendering will take, unless you have a renderfarm. if you do it for yourself though, you should be a little more patient than that. i had a lot of animations render that slow and i had to deal with it. 5 minutes are not that bad at all. there are times when renders take hours to complete. Thats a reason to panic, not minutes. but as i don´t know what situation you are in I really can´t tell weather it´s possible to make it faster. I understand that you get frustrated thinking about rendertimes, but there isn´t much anyone can do ( exept buying more hardware) . The WYSIWYG application that produces realtime photoreal renders is just not invented yet.
Sorry about that as i would like to have one myself sometimes.

:hmm:

DiNKArt
05-15-2004, 08:17 PM
I guess the only thing that really puzzles me is the fact that I was rendering my wip in much shorter times with antialiasing on and it was taking less then a minute. I then added acouple of objects in which none of them where to high in poly count and I was then rendering in 40 minutes the same scene with same settings.

Is lw8 render any faster? I did not think I was getting it but it turns out I did. I have not done any research on the imporvments.

I can't wait for newtek to make the "create art" feature so I don't have to go threw this again.

Here the picture that took 41 minutes. I used gi and I know that it is responsible for a lot of that time. I need to read that tutorial on faking gi.

http://www.dinkart.com/images/41-minutes.jpg

ztreem
05-15-2004, 09:20 PM
That doesn't look like a 41 minute render too me. You should get that result with a 1-5 minute render. OK, That just my opinion.

Do you really need GI can't you try the spinning light trick or lower the GI settings?

abielmuren
08-10-2005, 07:10 AM
You can use vray render, it's work more fast than the default skylight using GI, and the result its very comparative, U can use finalrender too,... its pretty cool, try to find some nice textures, try with 3d total cartoon textures v15.

I work in a PC, but, I do not have a very good reference for mac, personally ... I dislike how this works, except for big 2D graphics and video footages. Maybe is your processor, its too slow. Dont Worry:thumbsup:

tibes
08-10-2005, 07:44 AM
If you are raytracing reflection and refraction (check in Render Options) then check your ray recursion limit (in the same options panel). The default is 16, but that's very high and adds lots to the render time, lower it 4 and see if the image looks okay and the render is quicker.

toonafish
08-10-2005, 08:59 AM
that's rendering waaaay to slow. Do you have any double sided glass in there with raytracing refractions/reflections/transparancy and maybe some very high Monte Carlo radiosity settings ?

It's not so hard to get LW to a crawl, even with the most basic scene. Just crank up all the settings and enable every feature you can click on ;-)
Poly count does not matter that much for LW's renderer, it's mostly surface settings like transparancy and reflection and radiosity that slow it down. And when time is and issue, stay away from double sided transparant raytraced reflective surfaces for glass.

gerardo
08-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Yep, I agree with Ztreem, I guess you are using GI; try with spinning lights or/and an ambient occlusion shader (SG_AmbOcc by Skidbladnir is great for occlusion effect) and gradients for radiance effect. Perhaps you want to try this "lighting/surfacing" technique (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=176195); the results are quite near to real GI and is more faster than Vray :D

Gerardo

MrWyatt
08-10-2005, 06:00 PM
hey guys this thread is more than a year old, you are beating a dead horse here
;)

tibes
08-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Daggnammit, I could have sworn it was 2004!! Maybe I should get more sleep :D

fletchman
08-11-2005, 02:59 AM
Whoa!! Methuselah syndrome :scream: And i was getting caught up in this thread! lol

c-g
08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
You can use vray render, it's work more fast than the default skylight using GI, and the result its very comparative, U can use finalrender too,... its pretty cool, try to find some nice textures, try with 3d total cartoon textures v15.

Did you check to see what forum you were in?

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.