PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 7: GIR - Invader Zim

Lekku
05-14-2004, 07:16 PM
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.Most Recent Update.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1340030#post1340030)

http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/avatars/gir_dance.gif GIR! Oh, yeah. well after the great digital iconoclasm, it's time to repost! Unfortuanately, you won't see much progress, since I'm alomst done with the model. Crits are welcome, so please - go to town!

http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/cgtalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/girrawt.gif

By the way, I'm the same Lekku that previously used this avatar - http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/avatars/image002.gif

commy
05-14-2004, 08:34 PM
ride the pig gir!!

looking good always hard to judge without eyes tho (or pupils in this case)

Eclipse3D
05-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Well although i have never seen the show i must say i LOVE the character design, now i sadly canm't say the same for your model at this point. It's a little toooo round atm. From the gif you poste it looks lieka big part of this guys character is his sharp lines which your model lacks =\. Maybe just look ar mroe refs and try and match them? i dunno :p

Lekku
05-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I've been having problems with the sharp lines. I was using a bad reference to model from, but tweaking is going on right now. Also, he will have pupils, but I haven't textured him, yet. Thanks for the crits!

Lekku
05-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Here's the changes I made, due to Eclipse3D's feedback....

I think his head is abit too round on the sides, so that still needs work. Anything else?

http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/CGTalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/GirRawSpin.gif

I'm still in the process of tweaking, but I have to call it a night on GIR, as I have an animation set for another project due on Monday. In the meantime, please feel free to crit.

AndyH
05-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey!

Dont forget - the deadline is in 2 days (20th May)
Please, PLEASE try and get it entered because theres a severe lack of finished work on show!

Lekku
05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Yeah, it's time to texture.....

tick, tock

tick, tock

tick, tock

AndyH
05-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Keep it up - its lookin really smart - a lot like him.

You def gonna be judging then?

Lekku
05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
I don't think I should enter and judge, both. Conflict of interest, and all.

~-~-~-~

Here are my finals.....

Wires
http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/CGTalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/GirSpinW.gif

Shaded
http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/CGTalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/GirSpin.gif

Texture
http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/CGTalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/Gir_tex.gif

Beauty Render
http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/CGTalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/GirComp.gif

Crits still welcome......

Game Art Competition #7 Submissions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142901)

Lekku
05-24-2004, 02:06 PM
From here on out, I'll be posting the Judges response to my entry for the competition.

by neil LEKKU-
This is 1500 tris? where? I think it could have been done in less. I would hav kept the ears as straight edged and not sliced in half. Now it just looks like it 'could have been smoother, but didn't', as appose to 'never was meant to be smooth'. Wait... did you cut out behind the eyeballs? why?

ANDY = 2
DARGON = 1

I'm not sure what's going on, here - neil was pretty positive for all of the entries - except mine. Maybe he didn't see anything that he liked, or maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way. I thought the pictures spoke for themselves, but I guess I should have explained my process. Because Max's cell shader sucks, I modeled an inverse mesh to create the black outline. That's why I cut out the eyeballs. GIR's ears curve, so making them strait on the model would not be true to the character. There were a lot of spots on the character that HAD to curve, or HAD to be strait, or it really changed the character (refer to original post; compare to final.) I really don't understand the rest of your post, so I'll leave it at that.

All in all, I really like the submissions this time around. My picks would have been

Andy H
KungFuBilly
Steyn

Oh, well. Maybe next time.

AndyH
05-24-2004, 02:34 PM
I didnt think you were actually going to use up half your poly budget on the celshaded effect - as I said on my guidelines, celshading is not vital, just a nice effect if you can get it. It certainly shouldnt affect your poly budget!
Sorry I couldnt help you earlier about your max celshader question, but im sure there is a shader for it, or a plugin of some sort. Still, excellent entry considering its half the budget (it is 750 polys, isnt it?).

Ill cast my votes later on today.

And i thank you on giving me unofficial 1st place :D

Lekku
05-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Well, I was just experimenting.... I thought about doing doing a single mesh, but I wanted to challenge myself on this particular aspect. It was tough, and I think the model suffered a bit, because of it, but I just wasn't satisfied with Max's Ink & Paint material. I think the line quality really adds to the character, and not using it would have been a slight.

BTW, thanks for the feedback!

Lekku
05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Supervlieg wrote: Lekku - Invader Zim
This model captures the feel of the cartoon character very good. Though I dont know this cartoon (we dont get that one over here) The model is very close to the original. The head could have been a bit more neat poly-wise and te, but it holds up very well with the texture.
Overall the character is converted into a model very well, the colors and shape are reproduced really good in the final model. The beauty render stays in style with the cartoon and compliments the whole package. So in conclusion:

Let me say that all models were really well executed. It was really hard choosing the winners. Since looking like the original is one of the most important features with these models, the winners are as follows.

Andy H - Dogtanian [3 points]
Steyn - Dagget [2 points]
Dargon - Rick Hunter [1 point]

Awesome! Glad SOMEbody liked it! Ha ha, j/k. Seriously, I'm glad to have a response like this, even if I didn't place. Andy H and Steyn kicked ass. Dargon had a stable model, but I didn't like the hair - not spherical enough. But it was good, and I respect the judges' decisions.

Neil
05-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lekku
by neil

[COLOR=silver]I thought the pictures spoke for themselves, but I guess I should have explained my process. Because Max's cell shader sucks, I modeled an inverse mesh to create the black outline. That's why I cut out the eyeballs. GIR's ears curve, so making them strait on the model would not be true to the character. There were a lot of spots on the character that HAD to curve, or HAD to be strait, or it really changed the character (refer to original post; compare to final.) I really don't understand the rest of your post, so I'll leave it at that.
COLOR]

Well no, I didn't know that i was supposed to gather that from just a group of wire renders. Thanks for explaining your work flow... but i still stand at what I said. The polys shouldn't have been wasted just to achieve a work around look. You could have achieved a similar looks by painting the texture accordingly, or adjusting luminosity and such of the material.
In terms of the straight/curved, I agree that your model has a mix of both, but you could have used more polys in the curved parts and less in the straight parts. That's all. As i said at the end, I judged everyones critically. It's a contest, and there were many entries. You have to be critical inorder to seperate them.

Lekku
05-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I considered painting the texture to produce a line effect, but in 3D, it's just not possible. Luminosity had nothing to do with it. Things might have been different, if I had had a better cell-shader plugin, but I didn't, and I chose to do it this way. I don't believe the polys were wasted - they were used to experiment for a better way to present varying line weight.

I don't mind you presenting your opinion, even if you don't like my entry. You are a judge - you are supposed to. Your post just seemed completely negative, in contrast to the other posts. I'm not bitter, or anything; this thread is about my entry, and this is the post-mortem section. For good or ill, thanks for judging, and for responding on my WIP thread.

Supervlieg
05-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Well I liked your character a lot. Its just a shame its one without facial expressions or recognizable poses. I considered you for a top three, but eventually chose the other entries because of the poses/expressions. As I said, it was really hard to choose.

The model looked really spot on. And the backfaced culled outlines are nice, though I agree a shader would have brought the same effect.

AndyH
05-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Well - my vote is cast!

Personally, yours is possibly my favourite entry cos I love gir and it looks soooo much like him, but I cannot be biased because of this. You were so close to 2nd place - it was really tough deciding, but I thought that Dargon's character was very well done despite the more complex character design.
In spite of Gir's simplicity, the things that may have pushed it up a lot to 2nd or maybe 1st place would be full use of 1500 polys (not on an outline), and some rigged poses.

Hope im not sounding like a git, but I just thought i'd congratulate you on making the top 3!

Lekku
05-24-2004, 07:32 PM
AndyH wrote: Lekku - Gir
I love the cartoon, so im not going to let myself be biased! Its a little hard to see how its been constructed because of the somewhat unconventional wire views, but it seems pretty efficient in terms of poly distribution. Its a bit odd the way that you spent half your budget making a duplicate model for your outline, but considering you used up only half the required polies to make the base, its very good. Great likeness to the character but the line for the mouth seems to be missing. Nice beauty render presentation - doesnt look CG at all.

Dargon - Rick Hunter - 2 POINTS
Lekku - Gir - 1 POINT

Holy crap! I got a point! That's awesome - I was begining to think I had just totally blown it. Honestly, I just wanted the practice, and the experience of competition, but recognition is great. In response to AndyH and Supervleig, I agree that a lack of dynamic poses was a serious drawback. That's one of the things I look for in submissions, but I just didn't put the time into rigging and posing. Also, I overlooked the line for the mouth. No excuses there, I just forgot. I'll attempt to remedy that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lekku
05-25-2004, 12:20 AM
AndyH wrote:Hope im not sounding like a git, but I just thought i'd congratulate you on making the top 3!

What's a git? Oh, well, thanks a lot, and congrats to you on a great competition, great entry, and for making front page. I hope I don't sound like a git - whatever it is... I think.

Anyway, here's GIR with his new and improved mouth.
http://people.smu.edu/jlomax/images/CGTalk/GameArtComp/7_gir/GirWmouth.gif

Game Art Comp: 7 Submissions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142901&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Lekku
05-27-2004, 02:17 AM
BentLlama wrote: Lekku - Invader Zim

wow. great model from a great cartoon. clean mesh and nice technique. nice beatur render, but it is missing a shadow [need to tie the character to the floorplane/background somehow] could have had a bit more res in the ears, but I see you are at budget. again, very nice work.

Lekku - Invader Zim [3 points]

Kman - Pink panther [2 points]

Steyn - Dagget [1 point]

Wow, talk about floored. I really didn't expect this kind of response, especially with the great entries for this comp. Thanks for the points and the crits!

Lekku
05-27-2004, 02:23 AM
Poopinmymouth wrote:this was a tossup between kman and lekku. both were very close to the characters, but in the end, i think that kman captured a better likeness of the expression.

kmans mesh was clean and well made, and would work well in a cell shaded environment

1st place kman
2nd place lekku
3rd place andy h

Cool, I ran the gambit, this week. I have to agree with the judges on this - Kman's entry was pretty cool. Pink's always been pretty cool, and he brought a great representation to the table! AndyH rocked out with Dogtonian, who just reminds me of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I didn't really expect to be in the running, for this, let alone tie with senior H.

Lekku
05-27-2004, 02:30 AM
m0og0o wrote: Though also not familiar with Gir by Lekku, I thought he did one of the greatest jobs of replication. But the Johnny Bravo model to me stood out to be the most exact. While I think Andy's might have been the cleanest mesh, I don't believe it actually used its maximum amount of polygons in the most economical way (the choppy edges). nonetheless, I liked them all as well.

Okay, m0og0o wasn't a judge, but he liked my model, and that's cool.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I'd like to thank everyone who gave feedback during the WIP. It really helped me make the model a lot better. I can't wait until the next one, but our team hits BETA on Tuesday, so I dunno if I can enter. I hope too, though, because this was fun. Especially the waiting for judges to vote. It could be 5 minutes after deadline, and still I hit that refresh button OVER and OVER. Hah hah - it was great to be involved on the other side of the competiiton, this time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.