PDA

View Full Version : Sony Cancels Many Sports Video Games for '04

RobertoOrtiz
05-06-2004, 03:20 AM
Quote:
"
Sony Computer Entertainment of America said its 989 Sports label would not release the professional or collegiate versions of its football and basketball games for the 2004-2005 season.

The company's baseball, soccer and Olympics titles are unaffected, as is its hockey franchise, all of which have either been released or remain on track for release this year.

A spokesman said the company intends to bring the football and basketball games back in 2005, taking the interim time to work on game development and make the titles more competitive.

Sony's sports brands have largely struggled in recent years, gaining little market share in the face of repeated dominating performances by the sports line-up of industry leader Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news)

The football and basketball games in particular have been forced to compete in crowded markets where EA's significant share has left little for other publishers to split.

On March 30, Microsoft said its XSN Sports label would not release its pro football, basketball or hockey titles this year, nor would it move ahead on new versions of its irregularly-scheduled golf, tennis or snowboarding games for the time being.

That move was seen by financial analysts as opening the door to closer ties between Microsoft and EA, which in the most recent "season" of sports games supported online play on Sony's PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) game console but not on Microsoft's Xbox (news - web sites).

Like Microsoft, Sony said it would continue to support online features and companion functions for its existing sports video games. "

>>link<< (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20040506/tc_nm/media_sony_sports_dc)

-R

mummey
05-06-2004, 03:37 AM
What they really mean: "We're afraid that the gamers will finally realize that its the same game every year with the players switched around. We'll tweek the engine and get it ready for the next console. That way there will immediately new sports games available when the next console is released. EA in the meantime can go ahead and waste the resources on this year. They don't have to worry about console sales..."

I'm not saying this is the reason, but it sounds pretty convenient, especially since they want to have games ready when they are released.

-B

mummey
05-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by walshbem
What they really mean: "We're afraid that the gamers will finally realize that its the same game every year with the players switched around. We'll tweek the engine and get it ready for the next console. That way there will immediately new sports games available when the next console is released. EA in the meantime can go ahead and waste the resources on this year. They don't have to worry about console sales..."

I'm not saying this is the reason, but it sounds pretty convenient, especially since they want to have games ready when they are released.

-B

hehe, good to know that post survived... :)

Stupid script kiddies,
-B

Andyman
08-29-2004, 04:50 PM

-B
Straight up, yeah... sports games annoy me incredibly because they're the same thing over and over again. I'm not big into sports on tv and such, so names of players and things don't matter much to me. I don't understand how people get excited over the games - they're uninspired and downright boring. Though I guess since I'm not big into 'tv sports,' I wouldn't understand anyway.

Some are okay. I liked NBA Street and NHL Hitz somewhat. They were fun for a little while, 'cuz they were a break from the mold. I love to run around and play baseball, football, or whatever - I'd just rather play it outside in my yard than on my tv.

PhilOsirus
08-30-2004, 04:34 PM
This has nothing to do with repetitiveness. If you read the article you'll see that SONY is cancelling some sports games THEY are working on because EA dominates the sports genre anyway. Recently EA decided to also make games for X-Box live, which it had refused for some time, and what happened? MS cancelled some of its own sports games for the same reason.

The sports games are repetitive, but it seems those buying said games don't mind that aspect, they want the latest sports stats in their games.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.