PDA

View Full Version : x-ray display

Kananga
07-15-2002, 10:39 PM
hi
Im modeling a character using a couple of image templates, and need my geometry to be transparent/see through to work. Ive selected x-ray in the display options but the object Im using as a starting point (a primitive cylinder) isnt appearing as see through.

I really need to see the image on the template plane (a simple poly grid) through the cylinder. Ideally, Id like to just make the cylinder see through, and the grids one sided so I can rotate the scene around and see everything clearly. (Not sure how to make a one sided poly-grid for a template image)

Anyway, Ill settle for x-ray though. Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks for any help.

Kananga
07-16-2002, 12:06 AM
Oh, its XSI 2 Im using incidently.

geoath
07-16-2002, 12:49 AM
hi
Xray is mainly used to see and select bones through a semi transparent object.
in your case i'd go with a model that would show wireframe in a textured display (so u can see through the model the textured plane), or work with the rotoscope display.
for the wireframe display in shaded mode do the following..
--select the object u want to model, alt+right mouse click and go to properties>viewing.
--in the display part of the ppg that pops up change all modes "static" and "inter." to wireframe.
--now go to the camera window select textured as view and uncheck "override object properties".this way the object will use it's own viewing settings and your model will show wireframe while the guide plane textured.

another way is to open the display options(it is in the drop menu in the camera window, where u select the view mode: shaded ,textured ect ) ,go to display mode part of the ppg and change the modes in the selected object to wireframe (u don't have to uncheck the override object properties as before).
it's up to u which way u'll use.
hope this helps
george

Kananga
07-16-2002, 01:28 AM
thanks for the quick reply. Ill try this out.

Is there a way of creating a one-sided grid/mesh/surface
in XSI for the template image? I always found this great if I rotated in the 3D view because, obviously, the template planes dont obscure the model when viewed from the other side.

When I create a grid poly mesh its double sided, whereas in Max the normals keep one side invisible. Sorry if Im not explaining this properly. Im wondering how to do this in XSI

geoath
07-16-2002, 10:03 PM
hi again
open as before the display options go to the performance part of the ppg and check backface culling.. i forgot to answer it in my previous post :)

Kananga
07-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Kananga
07-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Um..you still there?

I made it so selected objects appear as wire frame, which is cool, only the cylinder switches back to opaque whenever I use the navigation tool. Sucks a bit really, continually flashing between transparent/opaque as I rotate the object:surprised

"--in the display part of the ppg that pops up change all modes "static" and "inter." to wireframe."

....ok, but I cant find the display section of the options box (ppg??)
I can see visibilty, rendering and the material options below. Thus I can't locate "static" and "inter" to switch those to wireframe, which might be better than the display option. What am I missing here :annoyed:

Kananga
07-17-2002, 09:48 AM
I change the static and inter in the viewport display options, but....and here goes:shrug: .....whenever I minimize/maximize the viewports, it seems to reset to opaque. The display options I setup seem to be forgotten. I need a drink:beer:

geoath
07-18-2002, 01:40 AM
@@"--in the display part of the ppg that pops up change all modes "static" and "inter." to wireframe."

....ok, but I cant find the display section of the options box (ppg??)@@

hi
i forgot to tell u (thought u might knew it) that every time u create an object in the begining it has shared viewing properties (as material too) with the scene..this is why u don't see the display part in the ppg.
open the explorer go to your object expand the tree and click on the display, then to the confirm make local message press "yes".now your object will have local display settings.

@@I made it so selected objects appear as wire frame, which is cool, only the cylinder switches back to opaque whenever I use the navigation tool. Sucks a bit really, continually flashing between transparent/opaque as I rotate the object@@

have u checked the inter. ?..when u navigate, the "inter." controls how u see the object..i don't have this problem so if u still have it i can't help u..(maybe the graphic card?)

@@whenever I minimize/maximize the viewports, it seems to reset to opaque. The display options I setup seem to be forgotten.@@

this is weird..i checked it and didn't face such a problem..again i can't imagine what might be wrong..(and i don't use an expensive graphics card..a vx1 from 3d labs!!)

best regards
george

Kananga
07-18-2002, 10:16 AM
ok, Im getting somewhere. In the viewport display options I had to check mixed viewing mode and then it seems to remember the settings, although for some reason it still resets in the ppg to textured ( but now the selected object stays wirframe)

I tried your suggestion in the explorer, but when I clicked on display it never asked me to 'make it local' the wireframe just turns blue. Not sure how to do this, but it would be good to know. I do have a vague understanding of the scene materials etc.

It would be nice to get the modes shaded/wireframe/and shaded with wireframe etc onto shortcuts. In max I toggle between these display modes with F3/F4. I wonder if this is possible in XSI.

Anyway, geoath, I needed to get over this hitch so I could get started. Thanks for your time:thumbsup:

geoath
07-18-2002, 04:14 PM
@@but when I clicked on display it never asked me to 'make it local' the wireframe just turns blue.@@

hi
click on the icon that is on the left of the word display (a gradient square if i remember well)..
i have to be more specific in what i write, so that u don't have to quess what i was meaning..anyway, forgive me...
about the shortcuts check if this can be done with "file>keyboard mapping"..don't have XSI in front of me at the moment..maybe it could be done with custom buttons..i'll check it as soon as i can..

best regards
george

Kananga
07-19-2002, 01:25 PM
@click on the icon that is on the left of the word display (a gradient square if i remember well)..@

yeah, thats worked, and seems more reliable than display options. Still cant fathom why the static/inter settings reset, that problem seems to still be there.

Also cant find any reference in the keyboard remapping to the display of objects as I suggested. If you work something out, Id really like to hear about it. thanks again.

geoath
07-19-2002, 08:45 PM
@@Also cant find any reference in the keyboard remapping to the display of objects as I suggested. If you work something out, Id really like to hear about it. thanks again.@@

hi

u can create a custom toolbar with a button that will turn your selected object into wireframe in a textured/shaded view..it's very easy..:)
do the following:
1) view>custom toolbars> new toolbar..give a name to the toolbar

2)open the script editor (view>views>script editor) or press the button on the left from the playback button.

3)copy what is is written below in the script editor:
SetValue "Camera.camdisp.statsel", 0
SetValue "Camera.camdisp.intsel", 0

4)mark the script in the editor with your mouse and drag it in the custom toolbar u created...an add script command pops up..

5)in the command/button name give a name as "wireframe"
in the script command name give a name as "wire_view"..(this is the command will appear in the script editor any time u click the custom button named "wireframe")
in the filename give a name as "wireview" so that it'll not saved with the default script1.vbs
(the names above r examples..use any name u like..!!!)

@@Still cant fathom why the static/inter settings reset, that problem seems to still be there.@@

does this happen when u MAXIMIZE/MINIMIZE the window or when u change the view from e.g shaded to textured?...in the first case this shouldn't happen..i tested that myself...in the second case yes it resets as when u change a view from one mode to another all the settings reset..(so here comes the button!!!!...:) )

have in mind that making custom buttons with built in commands in XSI is a piece of cake....every time u make something in XSI is recorded in the editor, so simply mark it and drag it in a custom toolbar..(a nice example is to make a custom button for camera clipping planes!!!!..usefull for modeling since u can't hide faces in XSI).
U can even make a new layout where u'll put all your custom toolbars..(i do it often for character animation)...and make your workflow faster with no custom toolbars floating on your screen!!!!

have fun!!!
george

Kananga
07-21-2002, 03:57 AM
thats great, thanks. I think I can take your suggestions and finally get some work done!:drool:

geoath
07-23-2002, 07:47 AM
hi!
i have ..good news for u!!
in XSI 3.0 u'll be able to hide a part of an object's geometry!!
for more information check threads about XSI3.0!
best regards
george

Kananga
07-24-2002, 08:50 AM
finally:rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.