PDA

View Full Version : Hanrahan-Krueger shader and 3ds max

ReneAlex
07-15-2002, 09:38 PM
I change the title of this thread... maybe Hanrahan-Krueger shader and 3ds max was a little unatractive... :shrug:

I'm wondering about the capabilities of the current 3ds max shaders...

and the capability of simulates the translucency of the skin is one that seems to be out of reach for those outside the big studios...

I've used fR but there a limitations ( or seems to me ) because the S3 feature dont works in layers (like dermis, epidermis and bone), so if you try to apply S3 to let say a hand its seems to be a ballon or a hollow shell... i dont know if these ara the right words... but you may get the idea...

so the point is, how to make the 3 layers of material and get the beatiful "light" that adds the S3 in the flesh of humans?....

I try to use the composite mat type but is not a problem of the layers itseft. its about how they absorbs or / and refract the light...

so digging in the tech pappers in the libraryof my old school I find a name Hanrahan-Krueger, and a S3 shader that works with layers... then I google it :p... and i find a this link you may be see it Translucency and Sub-Surface Scattering (http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/translucency/translucency.htm)

and well I'm just trying to start a fire...

let talk about it...

as soon I get somethink new I let you know

Dave Black
07-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Have a look at the scene with the grapes that comes with fR, and you will see that effect working. Give it a try...

I'm not 100% certain about it, so don't quote me or anything.

I'll have a look at it tonight, and see if I can figure it out.

Interesting thread.

:)

ReneAlex
07-25-2002, 05:16 PM
is this a taboo subject?

noboby knows a work around?

why the cg skin may always look like a plastic shell?

anybody?

:shrug:

Ovi
07-26-2002, 10:21 AM
Can you post a picture that states the problem?

I've used fR's 3S features in some time now, and I don't agree on the problem you describe.

Have you been experimenting (enough) with the different settings for the material?

ReneAlex
07-26-2002, 08:25 PM
here is an example... sorry for the red filter color im to lazy :p

fR 1.4

the density is set as default in 2 and the thickness in 20 but it really dont matter i raised to 100 and dont get any notiaciable difference in the "shell look problem"...

maybe im doing something wrong...

notice the shape of the eyeball and the "tube" in the nose.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.