PDA

View Full Version : Meshpaint has been released...

jjburton
05-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Just got the email:)

http://www.evasion3d.com/mp_prodinfo.html

Mwai Kasamale
05-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Now that is Cool!!!:thumbsup:

minus
05-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Nice! -- Been waiting for more info on this one.

minus
05-05-2004, 02:56 AM
169.00 not *to* bad for an evasion plug-in. Gonna have to do some more thinking I think. :)

samartin
05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
So is this similar to paintFX in Maya ??? The demo's look nice, guess one would need a kick @ss machine to handle all them extra poly's...

LFGabel
05-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Reminds me of the look of the fur in Ice Age.

But how does it look in an animation? Couldn't find an example of a character deforming and moving with meshpaint applied.

Some competition for Sasquatch?

CIM
05-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by samartin
So is this similar to paintFX in Maya ???

Nope, not even close.

Netvudu
05-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Certainly. Without trying it, it´s in many aspects a better solution. It doesn´t rely in any post process and it´s real geometry. Obviously this burdens the CPU and make sit somewhat less interactive as far as placement on a scene, but think of the possibilities! Any kind of dynamics will work over the clones as it´s al geometry, which along with the new dynamixs in 8 might make a killer combination. You define the influence with weight maps and voila! with one calculation over the whole object you have your character AND hair reacting to dynamics :drool: Oviosuly this has been simplifed because I haven´t been able ot try 8 yet, but the theorical options are there.
I´m pretty sure A WHOLE LOT of creative uses will come from this plugin.

LittleFenris
05-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by LFGabel
But how does it look in an animation? Couldn't find an example of a character deforming and moving with meshpaint applied.

Some competition for Sasquatch?

Yeah, I want to see this applied to an animated character, not just a still. I wanna see it reacting to bones and see how much all that geometry bogs down the computer. I don't think render times will be much different than Sasquatch though since Sas is such a render pig anyways. Plus being real geometry you can use shaders and all ther other bells and whistles that come with Lightwave! Unlike Sas which is an image filter. I think Sas definitely has some competition now. Only drawback I see to MeshPaint is how it bloats the poly count inormously.

Originally posted by Netvudu
...Obviously this burdens the CPU and make sit somewhat less interactive as far as placement on a scene, but think of the possibilities!

Thats the thing, in a real situation, how bad is that going to be trying to animate with all that geometry. Great for stills, but I wanna see it in an animation environment.

Mechis
05-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Well, I would guess that you would probably do your animation with a proxy and the switch in the model with meshpainted geometry. I don't see it as that much of a hinderance.

Isn't that what most studios do anyway? I'm pretty sure their animators work with low-rez models and then swap in the high-rez ones.

~Mechis

Mechis
05-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong, but i was looking at the pics on the evasion site and it doesn't look like there are any shadows on the meshpainted stuff. Everything is really bright. This kind of confuses me b/c meshpaint just puts geometry on, so shadows should work like normal.

Maybe it's lit really bright so that you can see all the fibers or something? What's everyone else's opinion?

~Mechis

LittleFenris
05-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Mechis
Well, I would guess that you would probably do your animation with a proxy and the switch in the model with meshpainted geometry. I don't see it as that much of a hinderance.

Isn't that what most studios do anyway? I'm pretty sure their animators work with low-rez models and then swap in the high-rez ones.

~Mechis

True, very true. I guess being a hobbyist I just don't know all the tricks to making my life easier (like a low res standin for animating).

Orkman
05-05-2004, 03:47 PM
But I still haven't got fPrime yet!

Very nice.

Para
05-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CIM
Nope, not even close.

But is the idea at least similar? :)

Triple G
05-05-2004, 04:56 PM
The examples of using it for fur look pretty good...I would like to see some animated examples, however. Although since it's all geometry, I guess the dynamics would be pretty much the same as what you could apply to any "normal" geometry.

I'm curious to know more about how easy it is to style the resulting geometry when creating long hair...in a couple of the pics, it looked pretty crazy...like they had taken a stroll through a windtunnel or something. I'm wondering if it was intentional, or due to limitations of the tools.

Per-Anders
05-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Para
But is the idea at least similar? :)

hmm... well, sorta, and then again not really (this is judging purely from the website, and the videos mind, so it could be innacurate on certain counts). The similarity between this and PaintFX is sorta more like the similarity between bitmap and vector painting. i.e. PaintFX is non-destructive, it remains on the surface if the surface animates, it's based on paths or particle trails and spawning etc.

for examples of what this is close to (as opposed to paintfx), to me it looks very much like the old Surface Painter plugin in c4d ( www.tools4d.com ) without the self collision detection thing that's in Surface Painter of course, but with texture control of placement and styling which is funky :), and a bit like ditools ( www.remotion.de.vu ) which also has a paint splines/generators/objects on surface thing, only the paths stay on the surface for editing of path and/or object, a bit closer to paintfx.

still i wouldn't be too worried if it's "Close to PaintFX" or whatever, it's not, it's it's own thing, and it looks like a great little plugin for all you lucky lightwavers to play with! i'm sure we'll see lots of cool examples of what this can do from you guys real soon.

Mechis
05-05-2004, 06:19 PM
One reason why I would like to see some animation, is because I wonder how you can deal with intersecting geometry. I wonder if it's noticeable, or there's a good way to avoid it. hmmmm....
~Mechis

LittleFenris
05-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Mechis
One reason why I would like to see some animation, is because I wonder how you can deal with intersecting geometry. I wonder if it's noticeable, or there's a good way to avoid it. hmmmm....
~Mechis

Well all this does is adds the geometry onto the object a lot easier then placing each strand yourself so they will intersect and overlap just like any other geometry you create would if you aren't careful. My only hesitation is that it makes sooo much extra geometry that animating all that would be pretty slow I would think. And as you mentioned, things will overlap/intersect so using a low poly standin for animating might not be the best idea either since you won't see those issues.

Larrikin
05-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Let's here from someone who's tried Meshpaint.
What do you think of it?
Is the hair you make dynamic, ie does it flop around with movement, or the wind?
Does it deform when contacting other polygons e.g. long hair on shoulders?
Can you do curly hair and other stuff like scales or feathers?

Finkster
05-15-2004, 06:15 AM
I don't think it's been released yet. You can order a copy, but the download is not yet available. I would really like to get my hands on it!

TRick
05-15-2004, 07:35 AM
I just installed it...so I guess it's released !!!

Aegis Prime
05-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Hey TRick - can you use it to clone and shape UV mapped geometry along normal LightWave splines? Say about 10,000 of 'em?

Mechis
05-15-2004, 03:57 PM
@TRick
Please show us your tests and give us your impressions of this tool!
Thanks,
~Mechis

TRick
05-15-2004, 06:49 PM
The coming weeks I don't have time to test Meshpaint, so the only thing I can say is coming from a short testdrive.

A very very short explanation:

First you have a base layer with a meshed object. On this mesh you can clone objects, points or curves (splines) based on several parameters: scale, rotation, weightmaps, etc. You can also first spray points on the mesh, then clone splines on these points. Edit the splines like combing with your mouse. And then clone objects which use these splines as a sort of skeleton along which the object can deform. There is no relation with layout (=animation) except for the weightmaps which you can assign to the cloned objects. People who own Whirley Points from Worleys Taft collection should have an easy way in animating a hair-cloned mesh (I really would like to see an example of that !!). Other then that Motion designer could help too: but be prepared for very long calculation times since your polycount grows exponentially...

If only someone at Newtek would implement real instancing (Like HD_Instance) then this thing would be a real killer.

Mechis
05-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Cool. Thanks for posting your thoughts. That sounds pretty interesting. Does anyone else have this plug?
~Mechis

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.