PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 E3 2004 Preshow Impressions

AnimBot
05-04-2004, 04:56 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doom3/preview_6095270.html

"Activision showed Doom 3 running on the Xbox for the first time publicly at its pre-E3 event in Santa Monica, California, earlier this month. And for those of us who didn't think it was possible, it appears that id and Vicarious Visions have managed to bring the game to the Xbox with no compromises from the visually impressive PC version. "

Click the link for the rest.

FalseCathedral
05-04-2004, 08:23 PM
"no compromises from the visually impressive PC version. "

heh, yeah right. have you seen the screenshots?

XBOX:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/914444_20040427_screen009.jpg

PC:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen0/469881_20031205_screen001.jpg

XBOX:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/914444_20040427_screen006.jpg

PC:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/screen0/469881_20031205_screen002.jpg

Levitateme
05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
looks good to me on xbox. looks fine, just the AA seems to not be near as crisp. thanks for the link anmibot.

FalseCathedral
05-04-2004, 08:49 PM
those screenshots reveal that the XBOX version has severely scaled down textures.

just look at the body of the large monster in the XBOX and PC screenshots. there's so much detail that is gone on the xbox. it's all just a blurry mess (and i'm on talking about the lack of AA)

AnimBot
05-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Remember the screen resolution is much lower on a TV. Trust me when you see it moving on screen it looks waaaay better than what's seen on a single screenshot.

FalseCathedral
05-04-2004, 09:16 PM
of course that is true, however...notice how the pc screenshots are in a lower resolution (resampled from the orignal high-res screenshots), but if there is no visual difference between the two, then if you take a 640x480 screenshot of doom3 on pc and xbox of the same frame...they should look exactly alike - this is not the case.

AnimBot
05-04-2004, 10:09 PM
I'll just say one more thing and leave it at that. Just like with movie trailers and so forth most of the times the screenshots from games that are used are old. Trust me what will be shown at E3 looks much much closer to the real thing.

DogBreath
05-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the heads up - AnimBot, the article certainly wets the appetite for more. With Doom III and HL2 and the Unreal vid I saw the other day.........I am going to have to get that major upgrade.

BillB
05-05-2004, 02:55 AM
First impression is that the poly counts look a lot lower.

Neil
05-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Well it's a tough argument you guys brought up. Yes, by those screenshots, Doom does look better on PC. The bump is crisper and more. I wouldn't say the poly count is that much different.
BUT...
how do you know that those PC screenshots are gonna look that good on YOUR PC either? It's gonna depend on what kind of video card you have in your system. While with XBOX it won't matter, WYSIWYG.

JCGA
05-05-2004, 06:11 AM
I would have been very surprised if it had looked the same considering that the XBOX have 64Mb for the engine, models and textures while a standard PC graphics card today has at least 64Mb for textures alone.

Zeruel the 14th
05-05-2004, 11:23 AM
The good thing is thats doom3. The bad thing...no co-op on pc..which i think sucks. All i ask is to have atleast one person with me in the game. 2 people vs the game, it would rule.

Its shame its not meant to be.

Gollum
05-05-2004, 01:24 PM
A high-end gaming PC will certainly be able to play D3 with all the eye candy turned up to "ultra high". By no compromises id meant all the technology and effects IMO. Who ever believed the Xbox with its 64MB of unified memory could pull of the same quality taxturing as a high-end PC must be smoking. Of course they are dropping texture resolutions at places, but its still way more than they could've achieved on GC or PS2. All the important stuff is in, the real-time shadows, the per-pixel lighting and normalmapping, its all there. Texture resolution is probably down to what would probably be "medium" on the PC. Considering the game is for the TV screen and all the rest of they eyecandy seems to be there I think that's an acceptable compromise...

implicit
05-05-2004, 01:42 PM
yes pc looks definately much better. much more detail, polys, bumps, normal-mapping, displacment whatever...

xbox to pc compared looks like nintendo64

3Dfx_Sage
05-05-2004, 11:55 PM
I personally had the chance to see Doom III in action (on the PC) and those x-box screenshots had better not be indicative of final image quality because if they are then the xbox is going to be left in the dust by a PC equipped with a mere GeForce4 Ti or Radeon 8500.

NUKE-CG
05-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Some people are being too nice on the XBOX screenshots.. I think they look horrible, simply horrible.

Never designed for the Xbox I'm sure, as it looks like they've just done a Photoshop Batch Action and resized all the textures right down, and not bothered sharpening them.

Wish a company would be smart enough to make a PC Console, instead of game companies having to waste resources going so many different directions(platforms)..

CGmonkey
05-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by NUKE-CG
Some people are being too nice on the XBOX screenshots.. I think they look horrible, simply horrible.

Never designed for the Xbox I'm sure, as it looks like they've just done a Photoshop Batch Action and resized all the textures right down, and not bothered sharpening them.

Wish a company would be smart enough to make a PC Console, instead of game companies having to waste resources going so many different directions(platforms)..

Agreed.. ID is a bunch of sellouts! THAT I never thought of 'em :´(

3Dfx_Sage
05-15-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
Agreed.. ID is a bunch of sellouts! THAT I never thought of 'em :´( dont be so quick to assume it's ID. could be Activision, the publisher.

hmurchison
05-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Considering an xbox is less than half the price of the top end PC GPU's I'm pretty damned impressed with what ID has done.

Well it looks like i'll be running DOOM 3 on an xbox and waiting just a generation or two before taking the plunge on a spendy 'puter graphics card.

mankor
05-15-2004, 07:42 AM
why is the lower quality bothering people.??..Shouldnt it be about game play..hmmm?..And not every one can afford a high end pc just to play doom3..the x_box is only 150 dollars vs 1k plus for a decent gaming rig..the comprimize is so minimal that id rather buy d3 for x_box than upgrade my pc..It is an awesome looking x_box game none the less

3Dfx_Sage
05-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by mankor
why is the lower quality bothering people.??
because it's not just lower quality, it's HORRID. It won't take a 1k pc to play with those graphics, a GeForce4 should be able to do it at low rez and no AA/AF.

Novakog
05-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I watched the E3 trailer and I must say it looks infinitely better than the posted screenshots. In fact, I would venture to say that, in video (probably not as good if you took stills), besides resolution it looks nearly as good as the PC version.

Autarkis
05-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by NUKE-CG

Are you talking about something like the Phantom?

mummey
05-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hmurchison
Considering an xbox is less than half the price of the top end PC GPU's I'm pretty damned impressed with what ID has done.

Well it looks like i'll be running DOOM 3 on an xbox and waiting just a generation or two before taking the plunge on a spendy 'puter graphics card.

Vicarious Visions (http://www.vicariousvisions.com/) actually did the port to X-box. The co-op play is custom to the X-box so multiple people can play on the same console. (not confirmed, but I remember hearing that.)

Id is not stupid. Even if the co-op multiplayer doesn't get put into the release, someone will have a mod ready in a few weeks.

-B

zappenduster
05-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by walshbem
Vicarious Visions (http://www.vicariousvisions.com/) actually did the port to X-box. The co-op play is custom to the X-box so multiple people can play on the same console. (not confirmed, but I remember hearing that.)

Id is not stupid. Even if the co-op multiplayer doesn't get put into the release, someone will have a mod ready in a few weeks.

-B

but this multiplayer mode isnt even a split screen cause the xbox is already busy enough with rendering one screen so both player share one view maybe its like one of the old shooting games

and about the mod who would want it ?
cant remember any mainstream shooter that would have or actually need a splitscreen/ 2player on onescreen multiplayer mode
pc multiplayer was nearly alltime playing over a lan with a pc for each player (in 3rd person shooters i mean), i dont think any moddeveloper would waste its time for something like that

Zeruel the 14th
05-16-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by zappenduster
but this multiplayer mode isnt even a split screen cause the xbox is already busy enough with rendering one screen so both player share one view maybe its like one of the old shooting games

and about the mod who would want it ?
cant remember any mainstream shooter that would have or actually need a splitscreen/ 2player on onescreen multiplayer mode
pc multiplayer was nearly alltime playing over a lan with a pc for each player (in 3rd person shooters i mean), i dont think any moddeveloper would waste its time for something like that

I'd want such a mod. Very much so. I love co-op. I don't care much for any sort split-screen dealie, though there was such a mod for quake 2...

Co-op is wanted and sought after. The problem? The apparent interest isn't high enough. Which sucks. I remember Serious Sam. That was a sleeper hit. It was popular because of its co-op, and strangely enough. It also had split screen.

It seems that as far as co-op goes. We only have Serious Sam 2 to look forward to. Though i very much hope for a doom3 mod. It would rule in oh so many ways. Team based play in online gaming in general is fun...but it doesn't offer the sort of immersion that co-op with a friend. does

Autarkis
05-16-2004, 04:40 AM
The appeal for Serious Sam was the coop? I thought it was just blasting countless hordes of crazy running guys yelling all the time and weird ass monsters that made it fun :P

Nonetheless, it was fun!

I dont know, I dont really like coop in first person shooters (except what was done for Halo and the Rising Sun game. That was interesting. But i've never seen it implement WELL onto a pc mod. It's just unnatural having two players gathered around one screen and playing together. I'd beat the other guy up so i can play alone ;)

3Dfx_Sage
05-16-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Autarkis
The appeal for Serious Sam was the coop? I thought it was just blasting countless hordes of crazy running guys yelling all the time and weird ass monsters that made it fun :P for me, it was definitely the coop that made the game purchaseable. after playing a small 4-person coop round at a LAN party I immediately got my own copy! (read: it took me about 5 minutes after the game ended for me to run and buy a copy, bring it back o the party and install it)

BrainFaucet
05-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Of course the X-Box version looks like poo compared to the PC version... The X-Box is how many years old? It's using a slightly modified GeForce 3 and a Pentium III 733 FFS! Yes, those are dedicated, but still, you can't seriously expect that to keep up with the latest offerings from NVidia and ATI.

Don't get me wrong, DOOM III looks grand on both X-box and PC (especially when you see it in motion! (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/512/512897p1.html?fromint=1) the still shots don't do it justice!) But it comes as absolutely no suprize the X-box version isn't up to the PC's quality.

As for the PC not having cooperative play... The reason why (according to Todd Hollenstead (http://pc.ign.com/articles/511/511995p1.html)) is the PC version was from the very start designed for one person. It has very narrow corridors for maximumn creepiness factor. Also, the enemy AI wasn't designed with more than one player in mind. It just wouldn't be very fun in coop. I think there'll be coop for the PC DOOM (via mod, patch or addon) soon enough.

3Dfx_Sage
05-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by BrainFaucet
Of course the X-Box version looks like poo compared to the PC version... The X-Box is how many years old? It's using a slightly modified GeForce 3 and a Pentium III 733 FFS! Yes, those are dedicated, but still, you can't seriously expect that to keep up with the latest offerings from NVidia and ATI. minor correction- the NV2A is actually more complex than most people realize. It even has bits that are more akin to the GeForceFX line but also bits that are less-advanced than the GeForce4.

Game-boi
05-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by hmurchison

Actually, you should be thanking the folks over at Vicarious Visions. They are the ones who are doing the port to X-box.

I argee 100% with you hmurchison. I think it looks great artistically and technically. And while I don't have an X-box yet (currently have everything but), DOOM 3 for X-box is quite tempting seeing that my current PC wouldn't come close playing the game at a solid 30fps.

Congrats to all at Id and Vicarious Visions. I'm sure that this one is going to be a hit!

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.