PDA

View Full Version : Red Bike In Hallway, Wasssup (2D)

wasssup
05-04-2004, 08:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/14642/red_bike_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/14642/red_bike.jpg)

Hello CGtalkers! I think it's my first post(eh...I guess so, can't really remember :p) here at CGtalk. This painting is based on a speedpaint I did a while ago, some of you might have seen it at Sijun. The focus was to balance overall atmosphere, details, and the looseness...not very successful, as usual, I simply lost my patience after having picked details for a couple of hours, sigh. And you can easily find perspective and anatomy problems here and there, wasssup reminder: resolve this sorta problems at the first step!

It's done in Photoshop7, no ref was used. C&C are welcome, of course :)

baoling
05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
U are super! No reference....

Matthew-S
05-04-2004, 06:38 PM
this place is way to polished for my taste so I was very glad to see u post here wasssup. :)
hey wait a minute did u change the pic after u posted in Sijun cause if I recall right I remember some "sup" text on the bike?
If they should plug something on the front page it should be this picture wasssup, I really love this one. :)

One thing, the front tire as what I think and I am sure u know about it aswell has the eclipse too much bent towards the viewer. Maybe u could extend the front of the bike so it covers the tire. Just nit-picking though and not a big deal for the whole of the picture.
Good work here wasssup and keep up the good work. :)

see you
Matthew (Sijun)

BARoNTiERi
05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
:) welcome Wassup, you know I'am a big fan!!!
keep posting dude

perfecti
05-04-2004, 10:43 PM
...yeah ... very nice style .... maybe just more details on background ....

wasssup
05-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments.

Matthew>> Thanks there! Yes I did update the pic, found the text on the bike too tasteless, eh...well artists with good tastes won't even throw a glance on such subjects I guess hehe. You're damn right about the perspective issue, good eyes! Yeah it's the same old lens problem, way too wide, should have closed it a little bit. Or, you can imagine that the front tire is slightly pointing towards...em, left. Sounds perfect :P Thanks again for the crit, good point.

Baron>> Wow, see who's replying, surprised to meet you in here mate! Kinda busy these days huh?

Perfecti>> Thanks. Yes details please eyes, always. But I just got 2-3 hours for this pic, so I had to focus more on the character and the bike, still, they are far from "finished".

Kirt
05-05-2004, 01:10 AM
If there are anatomy and perspective issues, they're minor and don't distract from the beauty of this illustration. I love the loose and textured brush work. Consider yourself 'front page worthy'.

Awesome work! And welcome to CGTalk :wavey:

Shaykai
05-05-2004, 01:44 AM
Excellent work, i love the bike, its awesome, and the chick is sweet :) Great job!!

Shaykai

Olve
05-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Beautiful!
Love the looseness.

:bounce: (I always wanted to use this smily....)

arliss
05-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Big Fan of yours:thumbsup: This is my favorite piece- Keep pushing the envelope!

http://www.bijahealingarts.com/sitting.jpg

daraand
05-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Jesus thats amazing, what brushes do you use or how do you paint? lol general and strange question I know but im amazed by your quick and loose technique, espicially in photoshop ^_^!

ToddD
05-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Stunning piece, the technique and use of light is fantastic!
I think the bike has some proportion issues. The front tire is actually a bit large, and the bike itself a bit small. According to her bent knee, she would be about 6.5 feet tall on a bike of that type. Just an observation. Fantastic painting, digital? wacom? please more details:thumbsup:

Todd

XIA
05-05-2004, 02:23 AM
WASSUP!!! Yeay!:bounce: :thumbsup: :bounce:

jdsb
05-05-2004, 02:30 AM
:eek::eek:
omg ,stunning work man.just incredible(second pic :bowdown: )

AVTPro
05-05-2004, 02:31 AM
You do crazy beautiful work.

Love the Light.

Kravenous
05-05-2004, 02:31 AM
very very nice!!!! love it

Kravenous

igorstshirts
05-05-2004, 02:33 AM
Contrast everywhere, very nice. Maybe just a little bit darker behind her face... A little bit.

swardson
05-05-2004, 03:36 AM
are you kidding me.... "not very successful" that in my opinion is crazy. especially with no ref this is awesome. I love the style. Keep up the good work wassup

pogonip
05-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Awesome work ....it's hard to believe that this is not a painting from Craig Mullins :eek: ...big compliment in my book

EdySusanto
05-05-2004, 04:42 AM
wow... very artistic :)
i wish i can do something like this :)
4 x :thumbsup:
no thumbs leff

HapZungLam
05-05-2004, 04:45 AM
omg. You are totally artistic. No reference!!!!God I can't do anything withought reference.

Stahlberg
05-05-2004, 05:01 AM
I love this, and that princess pic is even more crazy, as I said before...
I just saw Feng Zhu's lecture here at 3D Festival - very inspirational! - and I think here's a good example that could use some of his advice, and start with a perspective grid and lots of construction lines... I think you know that though and you just want to get straight to the fun part, the color. :)
And being able to do lighting and texture like this, straight out of your head, I don't blame you, you're a mad coloring genius!

oxyg3n
05-05-2004, 05:46 AM
Nice image, I really like it.

olijosman
05-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Brilliant color use . Fantastic work! :applause:

AndreasMartin
05-05-2004, 06:37 AM
realy great!
the results you achive are incredible. Your brush strokes looks so easily placed, your feeling for lightning and atmosphere let me just say "WOW".

show us more.

greetings Crea

Sqwall
05-05-2004, 06:59 AM
superb :buttrock:

endi2
05-05-2004, 07:14 AM
conventional of the conventionals
sorry

insanelight
05-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Sublime.

Quansie
05-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Love the bike, but love the girl even more!

Yina
05-05-2004, 07:57 AM
absolute eyecandy

mv
05-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Beautiful and vibrant colors. Keep posting, you're welcome!

le_faya
05-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Damn i like so much, i like ur "touch" this is realist but not so much...my english is too bad too explain what i think but i can resum :BRAVO :applause:

shahrokh
05-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Very strong lines and atmosphere.
If this is your loose speed stuff, wow we are definitely waiting for your meticulous works.:bowdown:
GOOD LUCK

flyingP
05-05-2004, 08:22 AM
"That" is superb work :applause:

Lunatique
05-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Holy crap Wasssup is here! We can all pack up and go home now. The show's over. :D

Hey, maybe you can get Craig to post here too? It'll be like twin dragons raiding a fortress. :D

Supervlieg
05-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Your lines rock dude!

Kood
05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
I like the style!! It's new to me, does it have a name? or a place where I can find more examples? Something to aid a google search :)

Vayu
05-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Beauty girl!! :drool:

No comments!

Vayu

konst
05-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Nooo...there is to many great artists in this forum now....And now there is one more:surprised

man thats awesome. I can´t realy understand what you mean with "proportions problems". It rocks:buttrock:

Ch3
05-05-2004, 11:27 AM
as everyone else said, your work is exellent!

when are you planning to activate the tutorial section of your website? I am looking forward to read them!

keep posting!

wasssup
05-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Amazing feedbacks, thank you all for the kind words, and mod, thanks for the plug :)

AgentJ>> Thanks! I use the hard round brush the most, it's simple and effective, some might consider it looking way too "digital" like, but hey, we're painting digitally aren't we? If I want an absolutely painterly result I'll do it traditionally. I do use a couple of texture brushes too, they are defined by myself, you can find necessary infos about "how to define brushes" in the Photoshop help file.

Tbonz>> Thanks. See, that's what comes out when a non-id/automotive-guy designs bikes :p And it's also an anatomy issue, the leg is too long, it exaggerates the problem too. Yes I use Wacom.

Steven>> Thanks sir, I'm flattered :) Yes I should have followed Feng's advice. I think the lack of a good construction drawing was one of the causes too, it's actually a speed sketch and I had no idea what I was going to paint. It could be an exciting trip, but I was simply not experienced enough to make things right.

Luna>> Yeah let's burn the trees hahahaha! ...er, ok I'm back, too kind there, thanks. I think Craig is tired enough of hearing praises and it's TOO expensive to take his time, can't afford that lol.

Kood>> I don't know what should this kinda stuff be called...speed-painting? If there's one place I can recommend it's gotta be the Sijun forums, check out the speedpainting thread, lotsa inspirations.

Ch3>> Thanks! I'll finish the tutorial section as soon as possible, thanks for staying.

Sorry, don't have the time to answer every reply, so I make it short here, thanks for your comments, I do appreciate them!

OlssonE
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Dammit! All I get is those Red X's... :(

Anvirol
05-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Please host the pictures on website provider other than lycos tripod because the images cannnot be viewed anymore. Just seeing red cross.

Mamimum bandwith used perhaps? Didn't understand since it was in german

EDIT: Yeah now they work just fine, extremely beautiful work ! =)

Climbazise
05-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Yeah, very impressive style,
'Goodbrush läst grüßeb'
- was natürlich als kompliment gemeint ist :beer:

jizzypop
05-05-2004, 02:35 PM
:drool:

Goro
05-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Hey Wasssup nice to see you here!
As I already mentioned this is your best piece imo
See u at sijun!

:applause:

Absolutely breath taking. Awesome!
Daniel

dmg3d
05-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Great work! reminds me of Craig Mullins:

http://www.goodbrush.com/

-Dave :thumbsup:

viag
05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
wassup you are always impressive , keep the good work man ! :thumbsup:

Dai
05-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Definitely has that Craig Mullins feel to it. Not quite up to his standards though, but still nice.

anti-shock
05-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Great work!
Beautiful lighting and coloring, expecially without any reference. :thumbsup:

AtrusDni
05-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Awesome work wassup! Very nice style. Reminds me alot of craig mullins work. You aren't going to Art Center by any chance are you? Also, do you have a website, I would like to see more of your stuff. Keep up the good work. :applause: :buttrock: :beer:

CourtJester
05-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by endi2
conventional of the conventionals
sorry

ah, the modern "art" inquisition has arrived. Look pal, your emperor is naked, has been for over a century now. Now go glue some videotapes together, or stack up some rolls of toilet paper with an apple on top, or something. Leave us alone to bask in the magnificent work presented here.

Fantastic stuff. It's going into the inspiration folder as soon as I get home. I did think of Craig Mullins right away, but I don't mind that in the least, as I love his work.

Stahlberg
05-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I simply lost my patience after having picked details for a couple of hours, sigh. And you can easily find perspective and anatomy problems here and there, wasssup reminder: resolve this sorta problems at the first step!

You wrote that you based this on a speedpaint, so it's kind of the second iteration then, where you tried to take a speedpaint to the next level?
How about this - and forgive me if it's a stupid suggestion, I don't really know - but what if you added a line-drawing step between the 2 iterations? Like this: take a speedpaint. Mute it under a vellum-like layer and trace construction lines over it, and draw more lines to correct whatever, then hide the construction lines, keep the correction lines. Shouldn't take that long because now you're not working with color, tone and texture all at once, only line. (Remember to flip it like Feng does, I tried and it works like a charm.)
THEN you break loose again, and do your second painting over or underneath those new lines using them as rough guides. This second version should now have better perspective etc, but still as loose and wonderful as the original. Would that work?

(From a dork who wishes he had Feng's drawing ability and Wassup's painting ability) :)

Skyraider3D
05-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Great style!!! :thumbsup:

Riddick
05-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Mc Mullins style! like a lot of people said!
But you have done this with a real talent!:thumbsup:

Turbonium
05-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
You wrote that you based this on a speedpaint, so it's kind of the second iteration then, where you tried to take a speedpaint to the next level?
How about this - and forgive me if it's a stupid suggestion, I don't really know - but what if you added a line-drawing step between the 2 iterations? Like this: take a speedpaint. Mute it under a vellum-like layer and trace construction lines over it, and draw more lines to correct whatever, then hide the construction lines, keep the correction lines. Shouldn't take that long because now you're not working with color, tone and texture all at once, only line. (Remember to flip it like Feng does, I tried and it works like a charm.)
THEN you break loose again, and do your second painting over or underneath those new lines using them as rough guides. This second version should now have better perspective etc, but still as loose and wonderful as the original. Would that work?

(From a dork who wishes he had Feng's drawing ability and Wassup's painting ability) :)
I wish I knew what you're talking about.

(From a dork who wishes he had Feng's drawing ability, Wasssup's painting ability, and Stahlberg's other technical and artistic ability.

GatorX
05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
:thumbsup: beautiful work, love this style

Neil
05-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Care to post some example with the gridlines you're referring to steven? Just to give the 3Ders a bit more insight into the 2Ders.

elnady
05-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Fantastic:bounce:

Divideby0
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Very nice color and shape. I love that loose stlye of brush. I wish i could let myself go like that.

Being a rider myself something does not sit right in terms of scale. The bike itself seems too small for the rider. While at a stop, the rider's feet should just touch the ground. Her legs should drop nearly straight down. I figure guess she'd need to be about 2/3 of her present size for that bike. Her present stance is more like that would be on a cruiser.

Stahlberg
06-05-2004, 03:39 AM
Neil, this is what I'm talking about:
www.drawthrough.com/tutorials/perspectives.html
This is the extreme of the approach though, with some experience you can easily skip most of these grid lines and guesstimate, if it doesn't need to be so exact, which is what Feng did in his talk.

Sorry for the OT, Wassup, again I think it's an amazing image!

chima
07-31-2004, 03:50 PM
This paintjob is just perfect for me !

giza
08-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Really a nice and original digital painting style, keep it on!

dhellboyc
10-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Man this post is late!But, this piece is great i love it!!!

bolchover
10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
very nice style (thanks for the second post too of the ballerina). too much stuff has a 'polish' which steals the immediacy and dynamicism of the orginal idea... alot of illustration/art, I believe, is about striking the balance between the two..!

Kadastrophic
11-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Love the Tech. brings out a lot.

Common Terry
11-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Add me to the list of very impressed. The quick and excellent color gestures are superb.

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 11:49 AM
U have the style.. power.. UR AMMAZING!!:bounce:

eturnl
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
WOW! Great stuff. Reminds me very much of Craig Mullins stuff.
http://www.goodbrush.com

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.