PDA

View Full Version : Beyond's 2nd Character, Gifty the Inventor [two part post]

lildragon
12-16-2001, 07:47 AM
Hey guys I finally got the second character from Beyond to show you, it took me a week of small does of time but he's here ;) Gifty the Inventor

find out more here http://www.eyecandystudios.net/Beyond

Ok first things first

- It's not textured

- he has no tail :p

- I need some ideas for a belt to put in him :), think something funky, since he's an inventor

- Finer details like do dads and such will be modeled, some ideas would be awesome tho ;)

- I'm thinking of carpeting him with fur, see below the second part of this post ;)

http://www.eyecandystudios.net/renders/gifty_sheet1.jpg
http://www.eyecandystudios.net/renders/gifty_sheet2.jpg

Ok the second part of this post are some fur test I did, nothing overly special but you grasp the idea.... I need some crits on whether I should use it or not... but so far the few that I shown where enthuastic about it bigtime :)

http://www.eyecandystudios.net/renders/gifty_fur_test.jpg

questions,

- does anyone know of some nice examples of Shag Fur? other that the Digimation site?

- is anyone here proficient enough with Shag Fur to assist me in blending coats of fur? and adding patches of different colors?

- what color should I make him? :) I can't decide

thanx all

regards

wolf
12-16-2001, 08:01 AM
Cool character lildragon, but aint his belly a little to big ?
The fur looks like some teddy bear or something like that, but i guess uīll make it better :D
As for the color do u mean the fur ? I think a dark grey would fit him.
Nope i canīt help you with Shag: Fur. Never used it.
BTW, do you use Max ? If yes, what version ?
For details i would give him some pockets in the jacket and a pen sitting in it.

And hey, why his hands other color than his body ?

Good work, post more.
Í hope Chewey doesīnt drop by :D

JoBbE
12-16-2001, 08:20 AM
hmm nice character! you perfectly brought the sketch to 3d!
now the fur: it looks odd. I can't help you with shag:fur but there should be lots of tutorials available, shouldn't there?

***** starting search on google.com
***** extracting results
***** listing results
> http://www.3dgate.com/techniques/000328/03283ds.html

huh? only one? hm strange... I only found this tutorial.. and it's very basic......

hth anyways

Khar_Negt
12-16-2001, 11:54 AM
Like your first character, you brought it to live perfectly. The way you render it and the color are so toon... Really cool look. But I don't think I will give it the fur, this cut the look you've acheive(think of the Bug's Bunny toon, they're all coloured with flat colour..)
It end up to you :)

Kadde
12-16-2001, 12:40 PM
wow! the model is perfect. very good.

looking closer to the fur version, i
think its not good. without fur is better.

u could try some blend across the cartoon and 3d.
say, painting a texture with brushed , chalky look.
sometimes, it creates an interesting design.

i was reading an article about the Coca-cola bears, and
in the first comercial release, they dont used furs. just
cheating in the textures and light.

Chewey
12-16-2001, 01:56 PM
I think it looks good. If I were to critique the rabbit I suggest that the ears might do with a bit of redesign and as you already know, the fur needs tweaking as it looks like velvet at the moment. If you were using Lightwave I could give you some hints on Sasquatch fur techniques like using uv maps for control of just about every furry parameter thiny that you can shake a carrot at.

Hey Look! I'm a JEDI!!

"I am Chewey, hear me roar(with delight!)"

floatingrunner
12-16-2001, 03:08 PM
looks a little like the femal character you have there a while ago...
and i like the furry one on the top left....of third pic.

the fur looks a little too short tho IMHO.
(i actually had some trouble with furs too myself when i am rendering a chicken in one of my projects.... :'( )
and i dunno... the cheek looks a little puffed up.

really really looking good. keep up the good work

just a thought.

(what?! Jedi after 30 posts?! what's after that)

lildragon
12-16-2001, 03:30 PM
wolf: the belly, well that's the jacket that needs fixing, I use Max 4 and the hands right now where suppose to be gloves, but if I get the fur going it will be like the rest of his bod ;) thanx much for the crits

JoBbE: thx that's what I need to hear :), about the tuts, yeh I tried my faithful friend google and was as shocked as you were... guess I have to get good and make some of my own

Khar_Negt: thanx again I love to hear that , I was thinking of the flat look, but after seeing Sully in Monsters inc I had to try the fur ;), thanx again

Kadde: thanx bud, do you have any examples you can show me of the technique you implied? that would be neat to see

Chewey: old friend, never thought I'd see those first few words in the same sentence with my work :) thanx, about the fur I know, I know I just can't wait for the shave and haircut to be ported over to Max, arrgh what's taking so long? :(

floatingrunner: looks like the female character? umm ok :) the furry one of the top left that you pointed out was almost a default setting, and I thought it was the better one too, just needs some tweaking ;). I agree with the fur looks to short, I've been playing with different lengths, but trying not to make him look like a shaggy doll, I'll keep on keeping on tho

Thanx very much for the crits and comments so far gents, it's appreciated and here's some more tests, I love playing with this stuff :)

http://www.eyecandystudios.net/renders/fur.jpg

http://www.eyecandystudios.net/renders/fur2.jpg

good, bad, better? let me know

regards

chrom
12-16-2001, 03:36 PM
exellent dude
no bad critiques here

nice examples of fur, look at the site of Matt Clark-perfect examples here / the blue monster i mean /

cheers
.chrom

use the hair material for corect shading and glossy
if you turn on the geometry use any texture if you like
not work fine for me with textures if the geometry is off
i like this way

Chewey
12-16-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by lildragon

Chewey: old friend, never thought I'd see those first few words in the same sentence with my work :) thanx, about the fur I know, I know I just can't wait for the shave and haircut to be ported over to Max, arrgh what's taking so long? :(

regards

hey, if it's good, it deserves mentioning along with what looks like improving modeling skills.

I think that the shave and a haircut delay may be due to Joe Alter's involvement porting it it over to XSI 2.0

wolf
12-16-2001, 04:23 PM
Ehhh, perhaps wrong color :p
The fur looks to stiff. Still like teddy bears (Is that the look u want ?). And thereīs some problems with where the fur should be (near eye-sockets and so).'
But keep up the good (great) work, post more.
And hey. I herd Chewey saying something nice. Is it a new and nice Chewey. That would be great. :)

lildragon
12-16-2001, 06:48 PM
I think I'm going to try to texture him the normal way and then compare the two :), some say he'll look great with the fur but I think it take away from the cartoony look I'm going for.... now all I need to know is how to texture, I SUCK at it :(

Equinoxx
12-16-2001, 07:41 PM
I think you should indeed drop the fur. If you're going for a cartoony looks, paint some fur in him. I can't figure this texturing out myself, but i might be able to give you some pointers . . .

lildragon
12-16-2001, 07:43 PM
thanx Equinoxx, but no I mean I physically suck at painting textures, it's something I can't seem to get right... pointers there would be helpful

Rabid pitbull
12-16-2001, 08:01 PM
i like this model!! I like the more sinister version!! I do think the belly is too big as well. I liked the dark fur version too, much less toonish.

AJ
12-16-2001, 08:41 PM
Looking great Dragon!

Model's very nice... but for the fur issue... Remember that you'd be entering a whole world of hurt when animating (even lighting), the straight fur looks cool, but unnatural. I think you'd have to direct it/make it longer to get a better result, but also along the surface more naturally... (I don't think the fur you have in the "blue" tests looks far too patchy).

As Chrom said - some of the best Shag fur/hair work I've ever seen is one Matt Clarkes site (please write some tutes Matt!!).

But for a (much) lesser example - here's a link to a model I did a little over a yr ago using Shag fur

http://www16.brinkster.com/aj23/Comp4/Gizmo26_shock.jpg

Can't wait 2 see more of this character!

Joebount
12-16-2001, 08:46 PM
I like it, it respects the drawing :-)
Keep up the good work !

BTW, I've fixed the problem with my account, works fine now!

lildragon
12-16-2001, 08:49 PM
thanx Rabid :) he's not suppose to be sinister, but more clever, the default expression doesn't show it to well tho ;)

AJ_23: thanx bud, especially for the tips and the reference, man that gizmo looks great!! how did you blend the fur so nicely? but I think I'll be texturing him in a normal fashion, to keep that "toon" appearance, but the fur is fun to play with :)

Joebount: thanx that's exactly what I'll be trying to do in every character I build :) tho I won't be getting to them soon, since I would like to animate Gifty and Essence in some scenes first... and about your account that's good to hear ;)

Joebount
12-16-2001, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah ! You can see shag fur in action into Blur's short with the monkey and the keyboard (you know, the stuff that was done for Siggraph).

lildragon
12-16-2001, 09:43 PM
thanx joe :) ok here guys, I know I suck at texturing, but I decided to give it a go, it's pretty basic, but.....

AJ
12-16-2001, 09:54 PM
Looks fine to me!! Definitely keeps the cartoony feel having a simple texture mat :D

I think it would be nice tho if you could seperate his nose a little (diff colour) - and mebbe even his cheeks?? Would bring out the details in the model that little bit more.

lildragon
12-17-2001, 07:48 AM
AJ_23: thanx, about the nose, yeh I just realized I didn't paint it :p heheh, the cheeks are slightly different, but not enough I guess, thanx

Animal
12-17-2001, 08:04 AM
Notices for fur:
I think you should add some lenght variation, not much but some, now it looks too perfectly shaven.
For hiding "holes" on fur (seen especially when fur is perpendicular to camera) make fur thicker or make more fur or change colour of underlying texture to match fur colour. Also try to play with shadows that fur should cast, this sometimes fixes things (do not know if shag can do this, I work with sasquatch only).
Cool model :)

wolf
12-17-2001, 08:07 AM
I agree, make him furless. That would look great. Canīt help with the textures. Uīre surely better than me.

lildragon
12-17-2001, 08:49 AM
ok I spent some more time on the texture work, added a spec and bump

comments are welcomed

lildragon
12-17-2001, 03:53 PM
Psychic: working on it ;) some goggles actually

Ok guys I made a list of things I'll be adding to him, let me know if I missed anything

- Goggles (high tech, inventor type look)

- tool belt sorta like Watto's

- add some pockets to the jacket

- gotta model the hammer and wrench from the sketch ;)

umm anything else?

thanx all

balistic
12-17-2001, 04:54 PM
Hey LD . . . the character is looking solid . . . for texture, you might consider using a velvet shader, something that gets lighter and less saturated at shallow viewing angles. I'm not sure how to go about that in Max, but I'm sure its available.

Eltokah
12-17-2001, 10:30 PM
Comin along nicely lildragon,
I think his ears look a lil odd at the moment because of the way the color changes so abruptly, maybe try to fade it out the ear and put a different color inside the ear as well?
your probly onto htat though.
other thigns that stand out are - his eyes (u could make the actual eyeball more realistic or flatter toon styles depending on your pref), and his teeth/mouth (gums/ inside?) - once again you will prob get to this.

:)

mind
12-18-2001, 12:28 AM
Nice, lildragon!, it's a good model, as balistic says, maybe you should try velvet. I guess you are doing this with Max, Maya fur is great for this. Don't drop the fur yet, continue with some tests and also consider the lightning and skin shading. Remember that the lights, shadows and the base shading have a great impact on the final look of your fur.

lildragon
12-18-2001, 10:39 AM
balistic: most def, I will try that out and thanx :)

Eltokah: his ears aren't textured yet :) that's why, the eye is actually modeled, problem is the specs are too low, I fixed that with a pretty basic lighting setup below :) the teeth, gums all other details I haven't reached yet, I was just concetrating on the face mainly, thanx for the crits :)

mind: yup max all the way, yeh I agree with you on the shadows and using a light setup, I might give it another go :)

Check this thread for the last updates till he's finished

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.