PDA

View Full Version : Why do they named a renderer Brazil?

Luke Werhli
07-15-2002, 03:37 PM
I ask this because for me itīs really weird to see the name of my country in a renderer. Just too ODD!!!

Can you imagine a renderer called AMERICA? or JAPAN? OR INDIA? What a lack of creativity.

JuRrAsStOiL
07-15-2002, 05:20 PM
and why the f***ing hell is the GI algorythm called
Monte Carlo ?! ... well, hard to tell. And Brazil is
not Brasil, so it could be some mixed up name.

LiiMuRi
07-15-2002, 05:59 PM
OK, I'm only about 99% sure of these so don't quote me for these.
I remember reading that Brazil was named after a movie called Brazil and not the country. The reason was that they had to change the name of it (previously it was Ghost) and back then Brazil/Ghost produced very grainy images ('cos of the lack of undersampling) and apparently the movie had similiar graininess in it.
Monte Carlo on the other hand comes from that it prduces GI by randomly shooting rays around (or something) which is a bit like "gambling" which then leads to Monte Carlo, the famous gamling city.

Please corrct if I'm wrong.

Luke Werhli
07-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Here, we call Brasil, in portuguese, (yes we speak portuguese, not spanish). The fact is that in ancient portuguese it was Brazil, but then the linguists changed to Brasil.
And the world already knew the country as Brazil, so, they still call our country this way.

Like you, germans, call Germany, Deutschland. We call you Alemanha, really donīt know why this strange name, I think itīs because of the french language, or latin.

Dave Black
07-18-2002, 10:03 PM
Well, hell, I used to think Maya was named after the mayans.

Then I realized they named it after the world of dreams and illusion.

Does it really matter?

nez
07-23-2002, 06:14 AM
lol

ilasolomon
07-24-2002, 12:33 AM
u don't like it?...ok...pray they change it to PERSIA!...i pray too.
it could be a tribute...no?

DominikSusmel
07-24-2002, 01:37 AM
As I remember splutterfish needed a new name for it's renderer and one of programmers sister suggested Brazil. Easy to remember and recognizible word, also sounds cool when pronouced. Imagine Kiribati&Tonga™ R/s ;)

Travis
08-05-2002, 11:05 PM
"Monte Carlo simulation is a mathematical technique for numerically solving differential equations. It is used extensively in finance for such tasks as pricing derivatives or estimating the value at risk of a portfolio. The technique tends to be computer intensive, with many problems taking minutes or hours to solve on a high speed computer. For this reason, Monte Carlo simulation is avoided when closed form or other simple solutions exist for a problem. Monte Carlo simulation, however, has the advantage that it is a "brute force" technique that will solve many problems for which no other solutions exist. Because many financial problems are highly complex, this "method of last resort" is used frequently. "

Excerpt from:
http://www.contingencyanalysis.com/glossarymontecarlosimulation.htm

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.