PDA

View Full Version : Advice request...

qizo
05-03-2004, 03:25 AM
I'm an extreme newbie at this so I apologize at the outset for my ignorance.

I have a small bit of experience with CAD (namely IDEAS Master Series modelling) and I'm having a difficult time learning to model in either Maya OR 3DS Max 6. I think my main problem is that I cannot figure out how to build pieces of geometry using units similar to AutoCAD or IDEAS.

First, is there a way to do this in either Maya or 3DS max? Or would I be better off either using somthing like Autocad to create the geometry OR just learn not to use units at all? I think perhaps my frame of mind of having to have every geometry exactly to scale may be unnessesary since these parts will never be an actual physical object that must interact with others in reality.

Second, can anyone suggest a few really good books for complete newbs? My preference is 3DS Max at the moment, but since I really don't know how to do anything yet, my preferences may change as I learn more.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Qizo

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.