PDA

View Full Version : help molding a machine gun barrel

lostspyder
05-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Ive been trying to model a machine gun type barrel, but i can never get a smooth effect. Im trying to do the part of the barrel thats a tube with holes one it. A pic of what i want to acheive is at the bottom. Only way i see to do it is to make a tube, and bool a bunch of cylinders in a radial patern then meshsmothe, but it always looks awfull. (im using max6 btw

Sorry if this is the wrong place/ possibly forum for such things, my old forum (DA cg section) disapeared, and im 100% new here.

Freakychakra
05-05-2004, 09:55 AM
I can't see a picture, but I think I know what you are trying to do.

Have you played around with different smoothing groups?
Assigning just one smothing group to the whole mesh will give you a terrible result.
However, if you assign 1 group to the outside of the tube, 1 for the inside of the smaller ones and one for the end piece, you should be sorted.

Also after a boolean it is a good idea to select all vertices and weld no a low setting. Then clean up the mesh.

I hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.