PDA

View Full Version : FX 5950 Good enough?

puppetmastah
05-03-2004, 01:58 AM
I recently bought FX 5950:bounce: !!! I was wondering if this card can get me through my animation adventures!!!! I couldn't afford a quadro!!! Oh and compared to 9800 xt is it better for games?

Valkyrien
05-03-2004, 02:53 AM
it'll be just great!

RusMan
05-03-2004, 08:21 AM
It all depends on the things you do, how complex are your animations.
No one can tell you if it's going to be fast enough for YOU, if it's fast for you then good, if it's not then it's not.:bounce:

elvis
05-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by puppetmastah
Oh and compared to 9800 xt is it better for games?

It depends on the game. Some games will prefer a 9800, others the 5950. The difference between cards in any game, however, would be +/- 5%, so there's not much to worry about there. The only people who seem to worry are diehard fanboys who need 300FPS in their favourite game/benchmark engine for bragging rights.

As for 3D modelling/animating apps, what is it that you use? And what's your average scene like in terms of polys, lights and textures. Realistically speaking a 5950 should be pretty good for most people, but it's a very subjective thing to say.

leif3d
05-03-2004, 01:10 PM
You'll be perfectly fine...you will notice some differnces in wireframe modes....but not too significant...and you will definately miss the hardware overlay planes from pro cards for paint fx and artisan if working with maya...i guess other softwares have the same problems....but other than that that card should get you smokin....and have in mind that one of the most important things in 3d ...if not the most important is to have a significant amount of fast ram...at least 1 Gig....if you don't want things to go bye bye on high res textures and high polycounts or dynamics calculations....other than that...good luck:beer:

puppetmastah
05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
I've just started 3D Studio Max 6!!!!! So thx for the advice!:beer:

gardocki
05-03-2004, 08:26 PM
That card should be absolutely fine for 3dsmax. You'll get a lot better performance if you run in dx9 graphics mode versus OpenGL, fyi. The GeForce FX series detonator drivers seem to be tuned better for that for some reason (versus the Quadro, which are tuned for openGL).

thedaemon
05-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I have never had any luck with DX mode in 3ds max, it allways seemed to be slower/uglier. Of course I was using an old Quadro DCC card.

3Dfx_Sage
05-04-2004, 06:40 PM
in newer games that use PS/VS 2.0 heavily you're going to be missing a lot of effects and/or suffer horrible performance drops. If you can force PS 1.1 then you shouldnt have performance problems but you'll be missing a lot of visual quality.

Myce
05-04-2004, 11:27 PM
you should wait for the nvidia 6800 series or the ATI x800 series cards.

Just read the reviews on anandtech, both veery impressive cards. I am an Nvidia lover but i must say im absolutely amazed at both cards performances. :thumbsup: Not that i can afford either at the moment. :cry:

3Dfx_Sage
05-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Myce
Just read the reviews on anandtech, both veery impressive cards. I am an Nvidia lover but i must say im absolutely amazed at both cards performances. :thumbsup: Not that i can afford either at the moment. :cry:
dont read anandtech for video card reviews, the only site I trust is beyond3d but there are certainly some other good ones (not HardOCP or Toms either)

the ATi X800 has really terrible OpenGL performance at the moment, I definitely wouldnt be buying one for workstation apps until they improve their OGL drivers a bit. However, the 6800 will likely meet little success because of its massive power requirements, heat output, and very low supply (all things that OEM's really dislike). Hopefully NV45 will be around and about soon, but then nVidia will not have much time to get out another product (NV48 maybe?) for the Christmas rush.

oh, and with DX Next not being out til late 05 at the earliest they will have to make the NV4x line last as long as possible which means rushing NV45 out fast is definitely not in their best interest, unless they have something else planned for 05 that we dont know about. (NV50 is, presumably, their DX Next part... seeing as how its their superproject, and all... also I just found out that "R500" doesnt exist, more info will be released tomorrow by Dave at B3D... another delay of the project? does that mean Longhorn and DX Next are delayed as well?)

elvis
05-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by 3Dfx_Sage
dont read anandtech for video card reviews, the only site I trust is beyond3d but there are certainly some other good ones (not HardOCP or Toms either)

I quite like XBit Labs video card reviews. Mainly because they know how to benchmark workstation apps, and often do Quadro/FireGL compares (unlike most sites who all benchmark the same 3dmark/ut2004 stuff ad nauseum).

But anyways, that's enough of me getting off topic. :)

3Dfx_Sage
05-05-2004, 06:04 AM
yes xbit is usually very good, probably the best for pro app benches

Myce
05-05-2004, 11:14 PM
I just followed a link on one of the threads, and it led me to the anandtech review of both cards, im not a hard tech head.

Back on topic tho, i used a GF Ti 4400 at home and a 4200 at school to finish my final project and plenty of fragging, so im more than sure the 5950 is more than capable to do wat u need to do.

elvis
05-06-2004, 12:57 AM
I see a lot of 5900XT cards around for 5700U prices. Given that the 5900XT has a fair bit of headroom for overclockability, and has double the memory bandwidth of the 5700, it looks like a nice option for those needing 3D on the cheap.

I'm even tempted to upgrade my old 4200 to one, but then again outside of OpenGL and Pro 3D apps I don't do much gaming, so there's really not much point for me just now.

Maybe I'll wait another 6 months and see what prices the NV40 and cheaper "XT"-style variants appear at.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.