PDA

View Full Version : Efficient high detail modelling?

paradisio
05-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Sorry I am new so I don't know a lot of terminology...

I have been working on low poly characters, but would like to try some more realistic/high detail ones... So far I have just been using the box modelling, extrude and move verts around...

And I have been looking over tutorials and I lots of different ways to model... All are more difficult... Like drawing out the curves and such....

I am just trying to find the best way to make high detail models...

Thanks

Ifx3d
05-03-2004, 01:41 AM
ZBrush 2.

gerardo
05-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Much depends of which the model will be and how technique you find more intuitive and more precise for each case. I find that the splines for example, is very good to model cars, cellular telephones and that type of things; is good also to make a good base topology (for bodies, heads and faces) on the one which to detail it with other techniques. For faces I like to work with Sub-D or Nurbs, using the method of beginning with a box and from there to go increasing detail (but I suppose that this is because Ive made conventional modeling and I find this more similar to model clay) the problem with it is that is easy to get lost with the topology. There are people that prefers to make it polygon per polygon, since they find much more control on the mesh this way.
For each technique there is always a software that offers more interactive tools, but to choose the technique and the software is something that depends on you. I advise you that you test all the techniques (many times you finish using mixed techniques for a single model) and test all the 3D softwares that you can for this; then you will be able to choose correctly.

Best Regards

Gerardo

Freakychakra
05-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Yes just what Gerardo said.

There are many different techniques out there, so anything that works for you....
I personally use a mixture of everything, box modelling for heads, poly by poly for legs, splines for cars.....

I have a link here that might be of some use:
Spiraloid (http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php)
It is a great modelling forum, you will find loads of info here.

gerardo
05-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the link Freakychakra. I didn't know it.
Great site! :thumbsup:

Gerardo

Freakychakra
05-20-2004, 10:18 AM
You are very welcome :)

I learned almost everything about modelling from that site when I started.

Tantramancer
06-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Hello. If high detail modeling is something you are interested you may want to check out the ZBrush program made by Pixologic. The effects house WETA used it extensively in the movie 'The Return of the King.' I've been using it for a couple of months now and I'm still amazed at how easy it is to learn and how quickly I can create extremely detailed models. What used to take me a week or more of painstaking work in Max or Maya I can now do in only a day or two in ZBrush and often at a higher level of detail as well. You can work on meshes of several million polys without needing some super computer workstation.

Once a model is detailed the way you would like you can generate a hi-rez displacement map to apply to a lower rez version of your model for use in another program like Max or Maya. ZBrush is basically a small app just for modelling and texturing. You still need another app for scene animation but what it can do it does REALLY well. It's also real cheap. The current version, ZBrush 2, only cost me about $470 US dollars. I think they also have a free demo on the Pixologic website for evaluation. You should check it out. I don't think anything else out there right now can beat it for the level of detail possible coupled with that kind of incredible speed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.