PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 and... The XBox

slaughters
05-02-2004, 03:29 AM
"Id has not yet settled on a release date for Doom 3 (sometime this year, they say), one thing is clear: the game has been designed to be played on only one console, Microsoft's Xbox..."

>>>> Link <<<< (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/29/technology/circuits/29xbox.html?ex=1083988800&en=97cdfa004ced80f7&ei=5012&partner=CNET)

Novakog
05-02-2004, 06:10 AM
I wonder if the same thing will happen for Half-Life 2 (I know it's being made for PC, Mac, and Xbox - but I'm not sure about the other consoles)?

mummey
05-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Novakog
I wonder if the same thing will happen for Half-Life 2 (I know it's being made for PC, Mac, and Xbox - but I'm not sure about the other consoles)?

Not sure about Gamecube's ability with pixel and vertex shaders, but I really doubt it would be possible on PS2.

-B

Recursive
05-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by walshbem
Not sure about Gamecube's ability with pixel and vertex shaders, but I really doubt it would be possible on PS2.

-B

hardware can be worked around.

userbase is a bigger problem.

Not many cube owners would even look at doom3(including me)

Novakog
05-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by green86
hardware can be worked around.

userbase is a bigger problem.

Well, I agree with you, but that's not what the article said. Frankly, I'm surprised they're not going to make Doom 3 for PS2. But can PS2 even have bump maps? I'm not quite sure whether I've ever seen a PS2 game with them...

heavyness
05-02-2004, 08:54 PM
do FPS that are ported from PC to consoles sell a lot? i don't remember UT doing that well on home systems, and i remember quake being ported over to systems and not selling that much.

it seems that FPS made for console do much better then PC ports [halo, timesplitters, 007, and so on].

personally, if i can play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller, i'll do it.

Novakog
05-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by kole
do FPS that are ported from PC to consoles sell a lot? i don't remember UT doing that well on home systems, and i remember quake being ported over to systems and not selling that much.

it seems that FPS made for console do much better then PC ports [halo, timesplitters, 007, and so on].

personally, if i can play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller, i'll do it.

Yeah, I think you're right about them not doing well, and probably because most people prefer the mouse+keyboard. Personally, I actually really like the control setup for FPS on the Xbox, maybe better than the PC. In my experience, it's a lot easier (i.e. more intuitive and easier controlled) for close combat things - because to spin around really fast (if someone say, jumped over your head, a technique I like to use in FPS) you simply push the joystick and hold it. On a mouse, you have to continuosly move the mouse to the side, pick it up, bring it back to the center, and repeat - and it takes a lot more time to spin around. You can always up the controller mouse sensitivity, but then it becomes harder to snipe.

Just my thoughts.

Laa-Yosh
05-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Bump mapping (as in Doom3, with per-pixel lighting) on the PS2 can only be done in a very compleceted way, which also consumes far too much performance. The memory is also too small to fit in all the textures - even the Xbox version is obviously scaled back... Carmack knows his stuff well enough, the PS2 isn't capable to run his game with the most important graphical features.

TumikSmacker
05-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Novakog
In my experience, it's a lot easier (i.e. more intuitive and easier controlled) for close combat things - because to spin around really fast (if someone say, jumped over your head, a technique I like to use in FPS) you simply push the joystick and hold it. On a mouse, you have to continuosly move the mouse to the side, pick it up, bring it back to the center, and repeat - and it takes a lot more time to spin around.

:surprised :surprised :rolleyes: :)

Novakog
05-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Hey, I play a lot of FPS on the computer. I am a GOD at HPC :beer:.

erilaz
05-03-2004, 07:11 AM
What???? So there wont be a N-Gage port? :surprised

:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.