PDA

View Full Version : Tips on animation timing?

Levitateme
05-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I was just curious, anyone have some good tips on figuring out timing? like lets say i have a guy dropping from a roof and landing, then bouncing back up cause of the force of the drop. anyone have tricks for example on how i would figure out how many frames he needs to drop? the same applies to if my characters arm had to rotate in or something. just tips on figuring out timing is all.

SheepFactory
05-01-2004, 10:15 PM
practice and a stopwatch

titaniumdave
05-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Act out your animation yourself. Sure you can't jump off a roof but I'm sure you can find some chairs or stairs. That would help with the landing. As for how long it takes to get from the roof to the ground you'll just have to do it and scrub through changeing it until its to your liking.

Jozvex
05-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Or try and find some similar reference footage!

lostfilez
05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Jozvex
Or try and find some similar reference footage!

http://stu.aii.edu/~mh249/endyourself.gif

There ya go..... :surprised

lricho
05-03-2004, 01:18 PM
if you are a masochist, you could mathematically work it out. Knowing the height of the roof, and that gravity acts upon any given object at -9.8 m/s^2, you could then plot 3 points (the start, mid and end point) of his fall and plot in exactly how fast he's goint at thost points and adjust your velocity curve accordingly.
Alternatively, you could just place some points and move them (and your animation curve) around until it looks right. less stress on the mind :)

eliwolff
05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
I know they've been mentioned before, but I'll say it again..

I've found both of these books very helpful for learning about getting the timing to look better..

"Timing for Animation" and the "Animator's Survival Kit"...

For practice, just make a simple ball fall off the roof. Play around with the keys until it looks right to you.. that way you don't need to worry about the arms and legs yet.. just focus on the timing of the ball falling.. Once that looks right, use that timing for your guy falling off.

Unraveled
05-03-2004, 05:15 PM
If eyeballing it isn't working, you could set up a simple dynamics simulation to at least get you started for the correct falling speed.
Personally though, I recommend acting it out yourself with a stop watch or video camera on hand. Well.. not jumping off the roof, but just about everything else can be done that way. :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.