PDA

View Full Version : 3D Max 6

Deathstar75
05-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has bought any Max 6 books, and they could recommend them to someone that is not a total noob, but is not too advanced either.

Thanks

Deathstar

markdc
05-01-2004, 08:36 PM
I recommend going through the tutorials that come with it first before getting any book. 3dbuzz.com also has some excellent video tutorials (though I hear they're hard to get these days). The best book I ever read for max was "Mastering the Art of Production with 3dsmax 4." It's not for a complete beginner though.

Wizdoc
05-18-2004, 07:39 PM
I did buy the Max 6 Bible. I'm on the fence whether or not to recommend it. It does cover pretty much everything Max, but it only scrapes the surface and doesn't go into very much detail in how a given option can be used in various of ways. Only "this knob does that - figure how to apply it into your stuff on your own". And the art is pretty average, but I guess it's job is to illustrate the functions, not sell the capabilities of the software.

So, only pick it up if you're a total newbie or are specialized in a narrow field of work and want to peek over the fence (so to speak) and read the basics on how things are work in general all around Max from modeling, to rigging to renderings. But don't expect any exhaustive discussion on how Particle Flow, or Mental Ray works for instance.

It's a nice read, but personally, I think Max's own manual, tutorials and the online help files do a better work.

DJ_Lizard
05-22-2004, 03:01 PM
If talking about books, is there anything for advanced users? Coz all books I can find is like "learn max in 1 month", Max 6 bible sux. The only way is to read tutorials on the net :bowdown: . But there must be a book, wich would be something more than beginer guide to max... Thanks..

XavierChill
05-25-2004, 11:59 PM
anyone know a 3ds max books mainly covers both lighting and texturing?

Tommy5547
05-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Like Wizdoc said, the 6' Bible is not very deep. I have it myself and I already knew about 75% covered in the book unfortunatley.
If you are a noob, check it out.

I have not read it but others say the "Killer Tips for 3dsm6" is a good book. Check it out at Amazon.

There also is another thread on 3dsm books in cgtalk somewhere.

/T

Critterslayer
06-11-2004, 03:35 PM
I just bought 3ds max 6 fundamentals off ebay. it looks to be pretty good, but i don't have it yet =)

Aragorn26282
06-28-2004, 05:26 PM
I was going to buy 3d max 6 Bible, when I read your posts. What do you intend for "noob"? Which level of knowledge does a noob have for you?

Thanks.
Please, if you want consider if I am a noob or not, visit my web site: http://models3d.altervista.org

I started to use 3d max about 5 months ago

DJ_Lizard
06-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Well, MAX 6 bible is like beginer guide to standart user, I mean when you read this book, you'll know more, but will not reach the advanced user level. BTW, models in your site is prety cool, but you need more knowelege on PostProduction and nice rendering ;)

Aragorn26282
06-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, MAX 6 bible is like beginer guide to standart user, I mean when you read this book, you'll know more, but will not reach the advanced user level. BTW, models in your site is prety cool, but you need more knowelege on PostProduction and nice rendering ;)
Thanks, I understand. But what about the tutorials inside the cd that comes with the book?

CreativeKid84
07-07-2004, 01:11 AM
i bought this book and its god some great thing in it that i wouldnt of figured out. i deffintly recommend this book if your looking for one to buy

Aragorn26282
07-07-2004, 03:07 PM
i bought this book and its god some great thing in it that i wouldnt of figured out. i deffintly recommend this book if your looking for one to buy
Thanks. Just yesterday, I decided to buy it and ordered it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.