PDA

View Full Version : Environment: mental asylum hallway and room

brianemsu2
05-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Software: Maya 5

Hi,

I am looking for some serious critiques on these two images I have rendered for my animation environment.
They have been in the regular W.I.P. critique area for a week or two now and haven't received many critiques at all so I was hoping I could get some more over here.
Please critique anything you see that is wrong with the images as far as texturing/lighting/size relationships etc.
Tear these babies up!

http://artserv.art.msstate.edu/bee2/public/room.jpg

http://artserv.art.msstate.edu/bee2/public/hallway.jpg

the geometry has not been smoothed at this point... the sink/seat may look a little rough around the edges

status quo
05-01-2004, 11:14 AM
to much dirt, and its the same effect.

poor lighting

and the scene "doesn't make sense"

for example the layout of the room is off.

why is the bottom part of the chair pointing to the roof?

where is the toilet and what is the boxx at the side?

ypu need to make a choice as to whether its a scene from a horror movi or a conventional mental hospital.

oh, the lighting from the roof to the floor looks off.

if the facilities are that bad they would just have a hole in the ground to do their business in.

bencrotty
05-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Hi

You seem to be going for an ultra realistic look. If not that, then just believable. Therefore looking at them, they're not quite there yet.

The Room:

The room seems squalor like-

chip away at the basin, maybe it's broken in two or there is a corner on the ground. It looks flat, render some depth in pshop. The corners on the wall need a bit of definition, try photoshops burn tool. The door frame is too sharp, blur a lot of it. The image is too pixel sharp-if the background was subtly out of focus then it would give your characters more definition come animating time.

Make glass look like glass. Add reflections to shiny things.

If the room is this dirty put consider dust.

It seems like youve thrashed the hell out of texturing the wall with dirt/moss. 'm not sure if it works with the rest of the room. I think its over the top and would try a little less.

What about cracks on the walls, graffiti, chips, burnishes.

The Hallway

The doors seem a little small.

As things reced into the distance they become blurry, depending on where the point of focus is.

desaturate the colours.

All the best

Ben.

danielkenobi
05-01-2004, 04:11 PM
You should take care of the proportions, I think the doors are very small compare whith the roof lamps and whith the chair.
What is the box beside the chair?
It looks like to be of the same material than the Wash-basin, I say this because of the specular light on both seems to be the same.
If you want to improve it, add more detail to the modeling, And improve the map on the walls, I think it looks very big. And you can see how is the same map in the two up corners on the second picture to the left.
Keep working and made the force be with you ;-).

Ranc0r
05-01-2004, 09:45 PM
theres no mood created within these scenes
the ambient type lighting with no real focus on both of them really tends to ruin it.
The second one seems like a long hallway thats not going anywhere.Put something in the back.
It needs variation its too repetitive. I doubt you could find 3 walls with 6 doors in any old building that have aged and have the EXACT same dirt pattern on them.

the bump on the cieling is way too severe it looks more like crocodile skin

brianemsu2
05-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Now I'm getting somewhere!

Ranc0r: What are some suggestions you would have to increase the mood of the hallway and room. It's supposed to be a mental hospital that has fallen into disuse a long time ago and is now the setting for my main character's relationship with the unknown.
I was thinking of maybe having some sort of colored light eminating from the side hallways that you can't see down.
But what about the hallway itself. What kind of lighting scheme would suit it better?
Maybe I should cut some holes in the ceiling for skylights instead?
(bump maps and wall maps will be corrected)

danielkenobi: The proportions are something that I completely missed while modeling this... I am definitely going to pay more attention to this aspect from now on.
As for the box beside the chair, it's an electrical patient monitoring device (maybe some sort of electrical shock therapy machine)... I need more detail to suggest this further. It needed a scaleable brushed metal look to it, but I wasn't very succesful in achieving that look.. if anyone knows a good method for this I would appreciate the tip.

status quo: This is one aspect of my environment that I have been worried about... not enough detailing to suggest a past story there. I will try and add some details to suggest a storyline.

Thanks for all the critiques!

brian

danielkenobi
05-05-2004, 12:47 AM
To do the oxide metal try to use noise or cellular maps I would doit that way, or paint a map in photoshop but it will take more time. lower the specular level of the rusti parts it should be lower than the ones that keep paint on. keep working.

T Bomb
05-05-2004, 05:19 PM
That room including the camera angle reminds me too much of Resident Evil.

thewave
05-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I think that the moss growing the in corners isn't defined enough, it rather flattens out those corners also...there is not enough depth. There are no defintive highlights on anything. There should be more modeling on the stove looking object, the knobs are rather blan and there should be some fabrication edges around it from when it was built. THese edges should have some sort of rust or something seeing as how the stove thing is so messed up looking. Your textures are too repetetive, needs some more custom work.(this is all for the room with the sink)

The hallway is lacking something...like details. Where are they mate? Maybe some roughed up wallpaper borders or something to give it a little flair. The colors are ok, but like the other image you need some more custom textures that will define the space a bit more.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.