PDA

View Full Version : Bluebeards Demise, Dennis Allain (3D)

raycerx
05-01-2004, 01:57 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/23478/23478_1093888133_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/23478/23478_1093888133.jpg)

Title: Bluebeards Demise
Name: Dennis Allain
Software: Cinema 4d 8.5, Photoshop 7

Thanks to policarpo for hosting my image. Had the notion to create a war of the worlds type painting. I built most of the models myself but I did use a Deespona ship model with some minor modifications. I use Cinema 4D8.5 and Photoshop 7 for postwork and overpainting. My 3 year old son wanted a robot drawing from me for his room so this is what I came up with. All comments and crits encouraged.

LeifThoreson
05-01-2004, 02:37 AM
I like it... but then again I've been a fan of w.o.t.w. for 20 years now... Uper lighting seems a bit off to me , but then again I'm not nearly as talented as most the people on this site.. Great work , like the concept.. You did H.G.Well proud...
Later :)

ohkiyi
05-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Now, we can make a remake of the movie, good job man! Hey, what do you know about Mecha?:beer:

raycerx
05-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I actually dont know that much about mecha... Is there a web site or something I could check out?

ThirdEye
05-03-2004, 12:13 PM
That's really nice, very "painted" style, can we see a wire?

[plugged] :)

raycerx
05-03-2004, 12:17 PM
More than happy to, but I have nowhere to upload a good image. Ya know I am trying to gain some exposure and I absolutly NEED a web page. Thats next on the list!!! I will try to make a sm wire for post...

mimo8
05-03-2004, 12:21 PM
CONGRATS
:thumbsup:
happy to see you in the hall of fame

one stupid question:
does cg-talk still give awards - havent seen these little golden friends for a long time

raycerx
05-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Opps posted over at Cinema forum by mistake... Thanks for the FP plug!
Great to see on a monday morning...

niki
05-03-2004, 12:38 PM
nice work...

mimo8
05-03-2004, 12:39 PM
wrote you also as a PM but now I do it once more.
you can send me bigger images or wireframes and I´ll put them online and send you the link.
If you are interested see your PM inbox for my mailadress

xynaria
05-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Good image.....how did you do the sea??? :)

noclar7
05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
This is some nice inspiration to start a creative week.:thumbsup:
Only thing I think would be a nice addition is some sails burning.

barvini
05-03-2004, 01:31 PM
That's soooo coool!
love it! :applause:

PiPS
05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi ?!

I like the Mecha, very good design !
Cool !

zoehenriques
05-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Very good image! :p

i would like to now where doesthe 3d ends and starts 2d.... the fusion between 2d and 3d is so well done that! you now the fusion exists, but you dont now where.........

Godlewski
05-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks so much for making this site so exciting! I would love to see the top part of the sail splintering and exploding a bit more. I think it would really show power behind the hit of the canon “Laser”. Very professional, I love it. Love the water as well.
:buttrock:

Lekku
05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
I like it, but one thing stood out - Why doesn't the pirate ship have sails?

policarpo
05-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by raycerx
More than happy to, but I have nowhere to upload a good image. Ya know I am trying to gain some exposure and I absolutly NEED a web page. Thats next on the list!!! I will try to make a sm wire for post...

Woo hoo RaycerX!

Congrats. Glad you got a front page plug, it's a slick image.

Feel free to email me any wires you might want posted, I don't mind hosting the images at all for you in the meantime.

For what it is worth, I use Hostned for my Web Hosting and they are a great and inexpensive outfit...so you might think about using them when you get the chance.

email: visual.design@policarpo.us if you'd like to post any other portions/wireframes of the image.

Cheers!

ACFred
05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Very nice style and look to the piece. The water and the ship are very well done. Overall, though, the image seems quite static, and I think there are three things that might help.

One, as Lekku just pointed out, is the lack of sails. Even if the sails are still furled (or whatever the seafaring name for furled may be), it'd give you a chance to set them on fire or something similar to add a little more life.
Another thing is I'd like to see is some piece of the mast falling away from the laser beam. I think it would be more interesting to capture the moment right after the laser causes the mast to explode rather than just before, as you have it now.
A third element I'd change is the position of the spaceship legs. Being perfectly vertical doesn't convey any action or movement. You might want to take those 4 legs and put them in a menacing position or, at the very least, trail the legs behind the body a bit so you don't have so many completely vertical elements and also give the space ship a feeling that it's advancing on the sailing ship.

These are mostly composition elements. The look, otherwise, is well executed. I'm sure it'll make your 3-year old giggle with delight....or scare the bejeezus out of him and make him wet the bed for 8 more years.....but either way it'll make an impact.

Keep up the fine work!

Alec

SCIFI-3D-zoo
05-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Nice. Wish there were more details about the technical info. So the robot and ship are 3D... and the rest 2D painting?

If you want some webspace we at SCIFI 3D always recommend to try 3Dluvr. They host many of our members.

swampthing
05-03-2004, 03:28 PM
I like it but the ship should have it's sails out. The fact that the sails are completely missing kind of ruins it for me, even rolled up sails.

TheRow
05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
War never been so much fun hehe...
well as the others have posted some sails would be nice. Also some cannons on the ship that fights back.. right now it looks like the big monster just kicks the ships ass with out any resistanse..

About Mechas sites to check up.. try looking on http://www.gundamofficial.com/
gundam is one of the biggest mecha series, you might also whant to search google.com for "Evangelion" "Gundam" "Nadesico"
these are some of the bigest anime series out there on the mecha front... ..there are alot more.. but one needs to start somewhere. Hoppes it help your future reasearch on the subject.

ACFred
05-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Very nice style and look to the piece. The water and the ship are very well done. Overall, though, the image seems quite static, and I think there are three things that might help.

One, as Lekku just pointed out, is the lack of sails. Even if the sails are still furled (or whatever the seafaring name for furled may be), it'd give you a chance to set them on fire or something similar to add a little more life.
Another thing is I'd like to see is some piece of the mast falling away from the laser beam. I think it would be more interesting to capture the moment right after the laser causes the mast to explode rather than just before, as you have it now.
A third element I'd change is the position of the spaceship legs. Being perfectly vertical doesn't convey any action or movement. You might want to take those 4 legs and put them in a menacing position or, at the very least, trail the legs behind the body a bit so you don't have so many completely vertical elements and also give the space ship a feeling that it's advancing on the sailing ship.

These are mostly composition elements. The look, otherwise, is well executed. I'm sure it'll make your 3-year old giggle with delight....or scare the bejeezus out of him and make him wet the bed for 8 more years.....but either way it'll make an impact.

Keep up the fine work!

Alec

Freakychakra
05-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Yes! This is I really like.

Very nice style, it has a distinct painted feeling to it that really fits the motif.

Regarding the sails, to my belief, around 1875 you had steam/sail boat hybrids. So you could in fact sail around with out sails.

???
05-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Im preuty sure the pirate sail would win againt that ultra tech robotic stuff from the metrix world.

Its its year 1878 vs year 3100 :applause:

stiffmeister
05-03-2004, 04:47 PM
great great great ....

Yen3D
05-03-2004, 05:00 PM
what can I tell.... I like it :)

phito11
05-03-2004, 05:03 PM
great work, absolutly fantastic.

Rhino169
05-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Great feel and vantage point.

The only thing I can think of is having a return volley coming from a deck cannon!:buttrock:

Not that it would hurt the mech, but I'm sure the sailors would probably give it a go.:thumbsup:

gmask
05-03-2004, 06:04 PM
It's pretty cool.. although I find it conspicious that the ship is missing any sails wether unfurled or not. :shrug:

igorstshirts
05-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I like this alot. That ship has no chance.:)

Corto
05-03-2004, 07:22 PM
very nice image!!!

dansgarbage
05-03-2004, 07:23 PM
very nice indeed. I love the Dali look to it

Sky_Chris
05-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Very nice picture, great style.

The only thing i was really wondering about was wind direction...
There's this cloud/smoke rising straight up and right from the front of the ship, the smoke from the mech is going there as well but the smoke from the mast goes the other way... kinda weird to my eyes.

As others noted, sails would be cool, cannons firign back even more so, but imho sailors on the ship would be the most important addition. Kinda trying to get the sails out, to get outta there, running across the deck, etc...
It would add some scale reference and even more drama.

Garma
05-03-2004, 07:48 PM
amazing work. War of the worlds is an old time favorite of mine. Great style

Lotus7
05-03-2004, 10:12 PM
awesome image u made for ur son hehe :applause:

sherban
05-03-2004, 10:20 PM
oh man,

I hardly post here anymore but this one is sooooo cool in my book.
I love the static war of the worlds feel your composition has. This is way cool.
I want this in my room too.

Tho I must admit your Deespona is showing :p
You could tweak that model a little bit I think.

Anyway lovely colors and really cool use of 3d.

Emergence
05-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Very nice. Great looking painterly sea and you gotta love giant alien steam robots.

I've got a fewf crits for ya tho:

Although you have created a lot of nice atmosphere, there is not a lot of depth to the image. It's hard to tell which vessel is further away. I think this is because the ship seems to be closer on the sea surface but has much more atmos and mist obscuring it. I can understand that this woud be due to the ship being closer to the water but given that the mecha is of unkonown size it makes for a strange effect and is not helped by the slightly flat lighting on the gun pod of the Robot.

Given it's position - cresting a wave - the ship definately should have sails.

It would be nice to see one of the Robot legs on the move. It looks quite static. (is it chasing the ship?)

Given that you have a kind of twilight side lighting on the vessels, the smoke could use a little more modeling

If you had a big swell rolling up to the BG RH (so that you could just see the Robot legs entering the water) it would help add some depth to the image and establish the positon and size of the robot.

Hope this is not too critical - I love the image!

kodinaarian
05-04-2004, 12:09 AM
good job !!!

Richard Green
05-04-2004, 12:19 AM
The only problem is that there are no sails on the ship and why shoot the top of the mast?

Otherwise it looks great.

flingster
05-04-2004, 12:21 AM
hey bud..congrats on the FP.
cool image well deserved...would still like you to add a tattered sail...but hey..i'll live.
think the robot part is "inspired"...reminds me of a dali elephant with those legs...like it more everytime i see it..:beer: :beer:

marmphi
05-04-2004, 12:36 AM
:thumbsup: Your son is very lucky. Exelent image for his room.

Very very nice.:thumbsup:

in your sofa
05-04-2004, 12:42 AM
nice work!

i notice your location! cool place to be!

Rock out fellow bostonian!!:buttrock:

raycerx
05-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Flingster man you did it... Dalis elephant (s)!!!!! That is one of my favorite images and a source of some of my inspiration. I was gunning for a mecha that was sort of off ballanced and therefore dynamic with skinny leggs, like a newborn horse or something. YES sails, At this point they MUST be added, I really do agree actually. I have some ideas in my head as too how they would look burning and falling into the boat. Also the rigging needs to be less tight ,they need more swag in the direction of the boats lean as well as adding more debree. I think the robot leggs could use more swing. I also think more yellow in the explosions smoke color would be appropriate given the yellow highlights on the ships hull. Yeah my deespona IS showing and that aspect of the image could/ will be addressed. Well all great comments,and after my current deadline I'll have to take another pass at the image , thanks again.

Jester Capp
05-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Excellent! Very "natural" it it's composition, very smoooooooth blend of medium. :cool: Yes, it does look quite elephantish after a second look. Also, the smoke comment was well made... Assuming those are pyroclusters, a well placed wind modifier will set those cross winds straight.

Go C4D! And once again, go Boston!:buttrock:

mimo8
05-04-2004, 08:58 AM
let the deadline come close soon,
so the sails can burn and swoon !!!

flingster
05-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by raycerx
Flingster man you did it... Dalis elephant (s)!!!!! That is one of my favorite images and a source of some of my inspiration. I was gunning for a mecha that was sort of off ballanced and therefore dynamic with skinny leggs, like a newborn horse or something. YES sails, At this point they MUST be added, I really do agree actually. I have some ideas in my head as too how they would look burning and falling into the boat. Also the rigging needs to be less tight ,they need more swag in the direction of the boats lean as well as adding more debree. I think the robot leggs could use more swing. I also think more yellow in the explosions smoke color would be appropriate given the yellow highlights on the ships hull. Yeah my deespona IS showing and that aspect of the image could/ will be addressed. Well all great comments,and after my current deadline I'll have to take another pass at the image , thanks again.

went to an excellent dali exhibition in london last year...crazy mind that guy...didn't know alot about his sculpture but came out blown away by his sculpture definitely top notch at that, but i think he seems more famous for his painting (but don't know art history really). keep up the good work bud...:thumbsup:

Admiral_GM
05-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Nice. Have to agree about the lack of sails though... even to hold position out to sea you would need a fair few sails set ;)

:beer:

ckw01hk
05-04-2004, 05:14 PM
very cool and interesting stuff~~~~~

the mech thing looks like the elephant in Dali's works~~~~
very cool~~~:bounce:

chrisWhite
05-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Really awesome work, I like it a lot! :thumbsup:

abie1
05-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, COOOOOOOOOLLLLL! I LOVE IT. I wish I could model and paint like that. I knew those pirates would finally get what's comin to 'em, lol. Maybe now I can get back my Pepsi...lousy pirates...please, don't ask.:shrug:

Sqwall
05-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Very nice. Why the space-O-ship or something thingy is expeling black puffy smoke, like he is runing on diesel or something :rolleyes:

Aniway nicely done.

stunner
05-05-2004, 07:20 PM
really nice i like your style :thumbsup:

DoLeeP
05-05-2004, 10:25 PM
very cool

ludo de la pena
05-19-2004, 04:49 AM
Great work!
I don't think the lack of movement makes the picture too static, it just makes it look like one of those old pictures.
Again great work.

DKMNZ
08-01-2004, 11:04 PM
great, I love the paintedness, about it, it reminds me of one of those turner paintings. I reckon the finishing touch would be to add detail to the sky in the bacground. make that more painterly so it fits with the rest. Then I'd have it framed in my sitting room. definitly.

giza
08-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Good original work!

Milou
08-03-2004, 04:12 AM
It's very beautiful, the lighting and colour remind me of Roger Dean's version

CookerJC
08-03-2004, 02:47 PM
it is a really good job.like it very much.:bounce:
but,maybe you forget something.
in H.G.Wells` book,the laser beam is green...

MoX&Dana
08-05-2004, 10:14 PM
mmmmmmm.........
What period in time is it?;)

Very very cool:bowdown:

CookerJC
08-09-2004, 01:16 AM
it is a really good job.like it very much.:bounce:
but,maybe you forget something.
in H.G.Wells` book,the laser beam is green...i read the book "war of the world"again.the laser beam is green,
andthe "robot" have some "grenade launcher"...

TheFish
08-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Year! It's awesome, i love this picture and the idea. Congratulations .:applause:

Tilstrom
08-11-2004, 02:15 AM
the detail is simply incredible, astoundingly cool design. :D

JIII
05-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Just ran across this by clickin' ur award link. Anyways, damn nice job dude, something to be proud of. :-) gotta love that pic, but we never did get any wireframes haha.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 01:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.