PDA

View Full Version : 2D character: Special Op

t.m0
04-30-2004, 01:12 AM
http://www.bydecker.de/cover.jpg
hey everyone,

just finished this pic of a special op after two very long and sleepless nights. Now my eyes need rest ;)

Pencils and ink naturally by hand, colors with Photoshop.

Comments and suggestions very welcome :D

greets.t.m0

shehrevar
04-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Good job! You have some nice deatil going on here...
I don't like the light round the moon...imo it doesnt fit the picture. And the overall lightning is somewhat wrong. Especially his chest has a very wrong light reflection...the light comes from the downside there, while normally it would come from above...
And I personally belief the boxes in the front could have been somewhat darker...but thats just my opinion.
Nice work anyway, keep it up!

t.m0
04-30-2004, 11:27 AM
thanks sheh

there was/is supposed to be another light source at the bottom left corner, though I didn't work it out really well.... I got somewhat jumpy about finishing it after 7 hrs of coloring ;)

I'll definitely keep working on it and add some reflections to make that second light source clearer.

Didn't you like the moon as it is, or just the shining area around it? I have another idea of how to make this glow a little mistier...

greets.t.m0

shehrevar
04-30-2004, 03:48 PM
No, the moon itself is very nice (maybe a bit blurry though), it was the glow around it I felt didn't work in the piece...

It's a nice drawing that deserves more attention, which you decided to give it!

I will be curious about how you will finish it! :thumbsup:

sypherr
04-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Great work t.m0 no critz really just hope to see more of the same standard from your next piece :)

m0nicle
04-30-2004, 08:47 PM
the only thing that really struck me when i first looked at it is that the bricks are so thin. almost like a cardboard cut out of a brick wall. Looking good though.

jearley
05-01-2004, 09:10 AM
very nice. cool mood. he looks very intimidating with those goggles. i agree, the wall seems way too thin. also, i think the problem with the glow around the moon is that it is off-center. it seems like it should be moved up. i really like those pipes above, though. also, i think the light coming from the inside of the wall should be less of a nuetral boring color and something more dynamic. probably like a redish yellow tone so that it looks more artificial. i think that would give the image a lot more edge and much more contrast. also, if you added some cast shadows from people, it would make it seem more dangerous and more obvious that he's approaching enimies. that's all the crits i have. the inking is great though. i really like it overall. good job. :thumbsup:

t.m0
05-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Hey :) thanks all

You're right about the wall... noticed that too, with all the coloring finished... I'll see what I can do about that.

Yep, I, too thought about an orange/red lightsource at the bottom, I'll work on that.

Very good Idea about the cast shadows... that might really add a cool effect... thx :)

g.t

shehrevar
05-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Make sure that, when adding cast shadows, the piece wont loose its "stealthy" touch...
Nice idea anyway jearley!

MacGyver
05-02-2004, 03:45 AM
Very cool, reminds me of the modern Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe.

t.m0
05-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Me again :)
Here's the new version. I tried to put some cast shadows - didn't work though, as it was hard to make it look like he was approaching "the enemy" from behind instead of facing them. (Who would in such a location not face this hole in the wall ;)).

I worked on the wall, changed the moonshine and placed a green lightsource (not red or orange cause that would have taken the focus off the eyes)...

so what do you think?

http://www.bydecker.com/cover2.jpg

shehrevar
05-03-2004, 10:26 AM
great job man!
I like this version much better... The moon looks more realistic and the green lightsource gives the drawing an extra feel of mistery and atmosphere... You even made the wall look better...

Once again, nice work :thumbsup:

m0nicle
05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah! Much better.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.