PDA

View Full Version : Vampire head model!

martinnewcombe
04-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Gidday All!

I modelled this vampires head a couple of months ago using XSI 3.5, it took a full days work as I'm not the quickest modeller around plus I found the ears were bloody fiddly. The original concept came from a sculpture I had seen from some guy who works in the film industry as a model maker, cant remember his name sorry but liked the look of it! Just wondered what anyone thought of it and would appreciate any comments on how it could be improved how it could be improved.

I apologise for the size 1500 x 1280 198kb but thought it sholud atleast give a good indication of low poly and sub surf smoothing!

Cheers

Martin

http://www.dgtl-jrny.com/cgtalk_images/model_head.jpg

EtherealWhisper
04-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I think the character is really cool, and overall your modeling looks nice, but I was wondering why you have all those triangles around the cheek area? You could just delete a few edges and have a cleaner model. Great character though. You should animate him!

martinnewcombe
04-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Gidday EtherealWhisper!

Cheers for having a look at the vampire, I left the polys triangulated around the cheek area mainly because I wanted the model to have high looking cheekbones and to define the cheek as being a little sharper going over the top into the eyesocket.

I played around with deleting some of the edges during the modelling process however found by doing that it seemed to lose a certain amount of definition, I know this seems a little odd as essentially 2 triangulated polys should effectively give the same surface definition as a 4 sided poly however when it came to sub diving the model it just didnt look right.

Maybe the normals are at slightly differing angles which contributes to the definition, not sure really. Do you think the would be deformation problems with the model if I were to animate it say using morph targets or a rig?

Cheers!

Martin

brudney
04-30-2004, 10:28 AM
hi, i really love this vampire, great work! i'm waiting for some textures and animation...

martinnewcombe
04-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Gidday Dirty

Glad you like the head, I've got my wacom and Deep Paint ready to go so shall have a crack at texturing it!

Thanks for the complement!

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.