PDA

View Full Version : Grain

ThreeDBFX
04-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Is there anywy to match the grain of something? For example; I have an animation out of LW and I'm compositing it over a live plate shot on a DV-Cam. The live plate contains a normal amount of grain and I'd like to match the grain from the live plate on my 3D plate...understand?

I know there is a tool in Combustion that does this, but I'm not sure about DFX.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wizdoc
05-01-2004, 01:35 PM
There's no automated way to match the grain, you just have to wing it and do it manually - that is, tweak the settings until both the grain amount in background and DV footage look about the same.

Don't forget to use the original LW rendered footage as a mask for the grain node. Otherwise the grain is added over the entire image, including the already grained DV footage, and I doubt you'll want that.

beaker
05-01-2004, 10:27 PM
You could use AE Adapter and Grain Surgery:

http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Plugins/aeplugins/aeplugins.aspx
http://www.visinf.com/gs/ae/

ThreeDBFX
05-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks Guys!

For now I'll go with wizdoc's way, as this will not cost me any money. But that Grain Surgery plug looked kind of cool too...we'll see what happens down the road.

Thanks for the replies guys.

bartrobinson
05-04-2004, 03:14 PM
You might try shooting a grey card with the same camera and settings as used to shoot the live action. Then comp in the noise. Obviously you'd want minimal lighting changes across the card. That'd give you virtually the same noise pattern.

ThreeDBFX
05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Good Idea Bart, but I'm not shooting the footage so I don't have that kind of control. I'm just doing the 3D and compositing work.

bartrobinson
05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, there's always that problem. I should have caught that. Anyhow, I've always been impressed with Grain Surgery. Otherwise give it the old low-tech eyeball. Be sure to play it back at full speed and full rez for previews. That's the only way to see if it really matches.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.