PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Amrtures in 2.32 Blender3d

freebsd_dude
04-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Hello All,

I am having trouble makeing IK solvers in blender3d 2.32.

Does any know of a updated tutorial.

I a can not get this one to work.

Armture Tutorial (http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com/handtute/)

In the IK solver never comes up with a target.

Help anyone!!!!!

:bounce:

Apollux
04-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by freebsd_dude
[B]
In the IK solver never comes up with a target.

What do yo mean by that?, Could you be a little more specific?

Here is a good tut about bones, tailored for the armature newbies:

http://dev.newmediaworx.com/johnnyb/bplanet/tut_charanim.htm

Anyways, in general terms the process for adding any IK solver is:

(assuming that your armature is already created and you have at least 3 Bones on the chain, namely B1, B2 and B3, and the Armature is called ¨ARMATURE¨).

1.- You need to create a target for the solver, and that target could be just about anything, but for the sake of simplicity let 's imagine that the target is another bone (B4).

2.- Make sure that B4 is NOT A IK-CHILD of B3, again this is just for the sake of simplicity.

3.- Enter Pose-Mode, and select B3 (you know it is selected because it is on light green).

4.- Display your object's buttons (pressing F7 or click on tripple arrow icon).

5.- On the Constraints panel click on ¨Add Constraint >>To Bone: B3¨

6.- Choose the type of constraint, of course we want ¨IK-Solver¨.

7.- On the Target Object field, write the name of the armature, so it ends looking like ¨Target OB: ARMATURE¨ (don't worry if the bones take an odd position, that's normal).

8.- There is now a new input field called ¨BO:¨, that is for the name of the specific bone you what to target, of course you write B4.

You are done, now wherever you move B4, B3 will reach out towards it (and will move B1 and B2 if necesary).

freebsd_dude
04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your help. My question is are you using 2.32?
In this version I type in your Step 7. and the second menu never shows up.

Please download 2.32 and try this. Mybe it's just something with my comptuer.

Let me know.

Leroy

Originally posted by Apollux
What do yo mean by that?, Could you be a little more specific?

Here is a good tut about bones, tailored for the armature newbies:

http://dev.newmediaworx.com/johnnyb/bplanet/tut_charanim.htm

Anyways, in general terms the process for adding any IK solver is:

(assuming that your armature is already created and you have at least 3 Bones on the chain, namely B1, B2 and B3, and the Armature is called ¨ARMATURE¨).

1.- You need to create a target for the solver, and that target could be just about anything, but for the sake of simplicity let 's imagine that the target is another bone (B4).

2.- Make sure that B4 is NOT A IK-CHILD of B3, again this is just for the sake of simplicity.

3.- Enter Pose-Mode, and select B3 (you know it is selected because it is on light green).

4.- Display your object's buttons (pressing F7 or click on tripple arrow icon).

5.- On the Constraints panel click on ¨Add Constraint >>To Bone: B3¨

6.- Choose the type of constraint, of course we want ¨IK-Solver¨.

7.- On the Target Object field, write the name of the armature, so it ends looking like ¨Target OB: ARMATURE¨ (don't worry if the bones take an odd position, that's normal).

8.- There is now a new input field called ¨BO:¨, that is for the name of the specific bone you what to target, of course you write B4.

You are done, now wherever you move B4, B3 will reach out towards it (and will move B1 and B2 if necesary).

Apollux
04-30-2004, 01:57 AM
It is not a new menu, just a new input field right bellow the one that already was there.

As long as you input a valid Armature name, a second field for the bone name should appear.

And yes, I tested on 2.32, both Windows and Linux

BTW, It is an old feature, I don' t see why I should give you trouble with 2.32 specifically. :shrug:

freebsd_dude
05-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Hello Again, Thank you for your help :)

I everytime i enter ARMATURE in the box and hit enter the OB: box goes blank.

I even found a blendo.blend model that is a setup for animation and removed the IP solver from this and can't add it back.

Anything else i can do.

It is not a new menu, just a new input field right bellow the one that already was there.

As long as you input a valid Armature name, a second field for the bone name should appear.

And yes, I tested on 2.32, both Windows and Linux

BTW, It is an old feature, I don' t see why I should give you trouble with 2.32 specifically. :shrug:

Apollux
05-01-2004, 09:32 PM
First, the captioning used for the target field must be the same that the real target name.

By default, when you create an armature in Blender, it is named ¨Armature¨, if you put ¨ARMATURE¨ on the IK-Solver field it will just ignore the wrongfull name and reset the field, pretty much what you are describing.

Second, Blender 2.33 just came out. If 2.32 is causing you that much griff, you better forget about it and migrate to 2.33 ;)

freebsd_dude
05-03-2004, 01:28 AM
I found out what is was from your help.
I needed to remove any IK from the controlling bone. Now the second menu comes up.

I have a new question now.

Why does the model move ok in Pose mode then switch back to Edit mode and the bones are all in the wrong place?

Is this right?

thank you so much.

Freebsd

First, the captioning used for the target field must be the same that the real target name.

By default, when you create an armature in Blender, it is named ¨Armature¨, if you put ¨ARMATURE¨ on the IK-Solver field it will just ignore the wrongfull name and reset the field, pretty much what you are describing.

Second, Blender 2.33 just came out. If 2.32 is causing you that much griff, you better forget about it and migrate to 2.33 ;)

Apollux
05-04-2004, 12:29 AM
I found out what is was from your help.
I needed to remove any IK from the controlling bone.
On my firts replay, point #2. Altought it can be done (and is quite usefull), it needs some tricks with chained constraints.

Why does the model move ok in Pose mode then switch back to Edit mode and the bones are all in the wrong place?

Is this right?
[/B]

Can't answer without taking a look at your .blend

vidar-nelson
05-22-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't know if I'm right (I'm after all just a newbie), but I think the bones are suposed to do that (jump back to their original positions in edit mode). I mean, they are on the right place in pose- and object mode, right?
I think the reason that they jump back is that you should be able to edit their original position and their position in relation to each other.
But I don't know for sure...

Apollux
05-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Vidar_nelson is totally right.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.