PDA

View Full Version : Character: Engel

clalan
04-29-2004, 06:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a belgian student at the College of Interactive Arts, Vancouver, Canada. Our current assignment in max class is to make a full game model character, limited to 6000 triangles. This is where I'm at so far:

http://users.pandora.be/clalan/stuff/engel_s.jpg

any suggestions or critiques will be greatly appreciated! if you have questions or require more detailed images, don't hesitate to ask.

I'll include the character bio for those of you that like to read ;)

Character Background

Erst wenn die Wolken schlafengehen
Kann man uns am Himmel sehen
Wir haben Angst und sind allein
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein

Rammstein

Translation:

Only when the clouds go to sleep
Can you see us in the sky
We are afraid and alone
God knows I don’t want to be an angel

People say that when you are good, you will become an angel in heaven after you die. Others say that angels are special, chosen to represent the voice of God. People are wrong.

After you die, your body and soul ascend to heaven on a clear path through the sky. Those who stray off the path are the ones we call angels. They are doomed to spend eternity alone in the sky, hanging onto the stars, attempting in vein to reach heaven. They are lost between life and death, immortal yet capable of feeling pain.

Angelina (a.k.a. Engel) was a woman, 21 years old, in the prime of her life. She was a bright university student who filled her spare time with sports and adventurous travels. Her life ended when two men attacked, raped and killed her during her evening run.

After the funeral she rose up to sky to find her way to heaven, yet the impact of her brutal death caused her mind to be distracted and she strayed off the path. The emptiness and loneliness of the sky drove her crazy. For years she roamed the endlessness of space, burning her hands in an attempt to hang on to the stars.

It doesn’t happen often that an angel can recover from the blow they receive when they realize heaven is unreachable, but Angelina did. She chased the insanity away from her mind and returned to earth with a goal: get revenge on those who killed her.

Prs-Phil
04-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Woha, great story. Very good but the model doesnt really transport it. It also looks like you havent got alot of experience in lowpoly modeling because you model it like a highpoly model. Quads like crazy BUT you have 6000 tries to model her so its ok but still the edgeloops around her eye makes it look weird in the smoothed version.

I dig the story so much (allthough her death is a bit very brutal, simple and stereotype. Why don´t you put it that way that someone of her family slaugthered her for days and ... blablabla you can go on from here)
I´ll draw some concepts today at work and model her just for fun :)

Keep it up m8

brudney
04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
yeah, the story's nice but i'd imagine this angel as a real heaven b*tch/killing sex machine...something like this girl from rammstein's 'engel' video clip or like salma hayek in 'from dusk till dawn'...

you know what i mean...

cheers

wartorn
04-29-2004, 09:17 PM
yeah i agree... imean her face could fit that story if u make her really gothic like or eccentric somehow, with scars perhaps, or a very sharp glare in her eyes. I think its the clothing thats making her completely out of story. She looks like a spaceship crew member. Perhaps something trinity like, or something completely opposite like a wedding dress, or the clothes she was wearing while doing her jog. Also, perhaps scale her face up, cause it looks very round and childish. her smile also, and the cheek, make her look more like a baby boy.

clalan
05-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Prs-Phil, you caught me red handed.. I am indeed a high-poly modeller :) any area in specific where I should cut down? or anything special I should avoid? I know I am well below the limit, but If it's possible to reduce the number of polys and still end up with the same result, I'll go for it.

The main problem with the character is indeed the face. after I modelled some legs I will definitly redo that. Looking at the person she was, when she was still alive, I do want to keep a certain touch of innocence (which is a nice link to the more common concept of an angel). but I would like to add just a touch of ... insanity to show what she has gone through. The only things that point to the background story are the gloves (to cover up the burn marks on her hands from holding on to the stars) and the T-shirt she's wearing (black with a halo on it).

maybe I started the last paragraph wrong.. the main problem is time :) .. I have to finish up modelling tomorrow and go into unwrapping or I'll get in trouble. So unfortunatly no time for major revisions :(

yet all suggestions still welcome!

clalan
05-03-2004, 07:30 AM
seems that my previous reply is still trying to get past the moderators. let's fire the next one and see which of the two will make it first :)

so, update:

http://users.pandora.be/clalan/stuff/render11.jpg

well, she has legs now! I don't really like the folds under her knee, I'll probably try to fix those (and make em asymmetric once i weld both pieces together). apart from that I mostly worked on the face: made it smaller, reworked the eye, moved the ear, made the cheeks thinner, mouth wider, ...

if I would follow my teachers plan I should have unwrapped her .. erm.. a week ago :) so if you have some suggestions / critiques on the modelling, be fast and brutal :)

oh yeah, before I forget, tri-count at 3744

clalan
05-04-2004, 05:51 AM
2 posts still under moderator evaluation.. now it's goin to look as if i'm spamming my own thread :)

anyway, just noticed that the number of faces on an editable poly is actually the polygon count and not the triangle count, as my teacher claimed. this actually makes a lot of sense and explains why the count was so low despite all the detail.. I should have known better :)

since that is the same teacher that will be checking the model I could pretend not to know, but I couldn't live with myself knowing that I exceeded the tricount ;)

so the count on that last render is actually 7060.. removing the folds at the knee already got rid of 100.. only 900 to go :)

onelung
05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
yea, models nice, but game ready? dunno about that, i don't think i would ever get the chance to model folds like you have for a game character. only times i really make folds would be for the pants, and the arms, and it would be more for the silhouette than anything, and the shoe laces, are a bit much too, all these things can be pulled off in the map, and if you had a bump map, or spec. 6000 polys is a kinda high limit, not unheard of, but high. some of that gemoetry you might be able to put in the hair, or maybe give her some more accessories, ie, backpack, gun holser, whatever flows with the original concept.

nice run though, and trust me i know how it is to go form all high poly to mainly low poly. the biggest change is learning to put all your detail in your maps, its a giant puzzle game.

much luck

Poopinmymouth
05-04-2004, 08:13 PM
looking very nice. close up of the face please?

clalan
05-05-2004, 07:25 AM
update:

lowered her down to 5844 triangles. removed some of the excessive detail such as shoe laces and folds around the knees. It was surprisingly easy to lower the polycount without losing too much shape which means that i'm using my triangles very inefficiently :) .. ah, live and learn. too bad I won't have the time to optimize the model even further.

a close up of the face as requested:

http://users.pandora.be/clalan/stuff/render15.jpg

gf666
05-05-2004, 01:19 PM
i think your story is just awesome!! good looking model! lots "o" luck with the rest!
regards gf!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.