PDA

View Full Version : Installing [8]

Signal2Noise
04-29-2004, 01:16 AM
A Fedex package w/ LW[8] inside was waiting for me when I got home today!:bounce:

Okay, I think I'm ready to install but am curious if there's any "head's up" from those who've installed it already. The little letter that came with LW explains how to install for a new installation of LW. What about as an upgrade? Should I ignore the steps in regards to the dongle? Do I need the dongle attached or removed when installing as an upgrade? I'm going to check NewTek's site but I'm sure I'll get the answers I need to know from the good folk here! :thumbsup:

TIA.

js33
04-29-2004, 02:32 AM
I installed 8 in a new directory leaving 7.5 on the machine as well.
I didn't unplug the dongle and I chose custom install. I DID NOT reinstall the Sentinal drivers. All is well. I can even run 7.5 and 8 at the same time. Of course you have to register 8 with the new serial to get your lic. code for 8 but the new web registration makes it quick and painless.

Cheers,
JS

Signal2Noise
04-29-2004, 04:31 AM
Okay, cool. I haven't installed [8] yet. I'm still enthralled by the lovely discs and LW case.:eek: Besides, I need to find some time to do it.

What about plugins? I have a bunch of Worley PIs including FPrime (of course!) and UVEditPro. Is it just a matter of copying them to the new [8] directory along with the related license files? I haven't found too much info on NTs site but remember seeing something a week or so ago. I'm sure it's not too bad of an install. I think I'll just treat everything as a new install. hopefully I can tackle it tomorrow...

colkai
04-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
Okay, cool. I haven't installed [8] yet. I'm still enthralled by the lovely discs and LW case.:eek:

Yeah - puurty :D
Blue is the new black dontcha know? ;)

Zarathustra
04-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Well in the past, the only thing really installed was the sentinel plug. Otherwise, you could just drag the folder from the disc to your hardrive.
Is there something new that's actually being installed?

I'd follow that part in the WOA Screamernet tut about how to relocate your configs to a custom folder, preferably one within your Programs folder. This will avoid the possibility of 8's files getting overwritten if you were to open 7.5 and visa versa.

GCL
04-30-2004, 12:16 AM
A Fedex package w/ LW[8] inside was waiting for me when I got home today!

I'm waiting as well BUT is the " fulfillment house " using FedEx in conjunction with USPS ? That may speed things up a bit if sent FedEx or UPS. Just read Newtek using U.S. Postal Service.

Signal2Noise
04-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Don't forget that I live in Canada. Therefore USPS will not quite work for me. Thus the Fedex delivery.:thumbsup:

Okay, got [8] installed. I followed JS33's routine and things went smoothly. Just gotta get the Worley plugs and UVEditPro transferred over now.

One thing I noticed is the Registration Wizard didn't quite work for me. I was able to register on-line and received my License Key within an amazing 30 seconds. But when I used the Wizard to input the license LW would still load in demo mode. I tried several times to no avail. So I had to go about licensing LW the old way- editing the license.key file.:hmm:

So, anyone having a problem w/ the Wizard take heed.

Well...back to my world of [8]...:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.