PDA

View Full Version : window glass in MR

fabriciomicheli
04-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi there buddies,
I've been trying to get window glasses to look realistic with the MR renderer.
here I show you two little renders of a couple of windows.
I use fallof map for opacity channel in both.
In the first image I use only opacity. No reflection.
In the second, I use a raytrace map (auto detect option) for reflection. I set the reflection in 25.

I think that they don't look like realistic glass. Maybe I need to use a mental ray shader to get better results, or maybe Im forgetting something...

What do u think?

Image 1:

fabriciomicheli
04-29-2004, 12:48 AM
and the image 2:

:thumbsup:

JeffPatton
04-29-2004, 06:55 AM
I've had nice results with the architectural glass material. Give that one a try. :thumbsup:

Jeff

fabriciomicheli
04-29-2004, 12:03 PM
have you test it in an outdoor scene?

simplepsy
05-17-2004, 02:22 AM
you could try using the mental ray dialectric Material.
Dont confuse this with the Dialectric shader. One is a pre built glass material with full GI and Photon support, and the second is just a shader for use in a Mental Ray Material.
You must have caustics enabled if you intend to have transparent shadows off the dialectric Matierials.
Alternativly create a MR Material and in the surface slot use a LUME GLASS shader.
You should get perfect results. however Mental rays shaders are not compatibale with the Multi / Sub object material.

Dont forget to be sure mental ray extentions are enabled.

Simon Osbaldeston

If you have trouble Email me (Simplepsy@aol.com) (state clearly what its about in the subject)

fabriciomicheli
05-17-2004, 11:50 AM
thanks a lot Simon. Im not a MR master so there are some stuff I don't know yet. For example, all MR shaders... and how it works.

:thumbsup: thanks a lot

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.