PDA

View Full Version : Interior: Dining area

otacon
04-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I started this scene a while back, then got bored with it and took a month break. I loaded it up the other day and messed with it some more. Fixed the lighting to where it looked pretty good and called it finished. Lightwave for everything. Comments appreciated!
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/dining2.jpg

voodoofactory
04-28-2004, 03:58 PM
The lighting is pretty nice, but a couple of things need a bit more detail, like the chairs, table, mugs, plates, books and clock. They look a bit plastic now.

EdHarriss
04-28-2004, 05:00 PM
It looks pretty good. The shadows where the table/chairs touch the floor could be a little darker. I really like the books at the lower left of the image. The lightswitch looks like it is in neither the on nor the off position. :)

inode
04-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Very nice render. I agree that the shadows could be a bit more defined but other than that, Its sweet.

I really like the light rays through the slats on the shutters.

Inode

MartinGFoster
04-28-2004, 05:33 PM
nice work but it needs quite a lot of finessing that could be done in the comp.

* many objects lack contact shadows. The feet of the chairs/table, the clock on the wall etc. Contact shadows are small dark shadows at the core of longer cast shadows or wherever something contacts (or comes close to) something else.

* the tiles on the floor look completely flat. Are they modelled at all or do you have any displacement/bump on them? Those kind of tiles usually have a radius or bevel edge and the grout lies somewhat below that. These features would be visible as shading differences in almost any lighting situation. Also the pattern of each tile seems to repeat without variation unrealistically.

* the clock seems to lack modeling. It looks very flat. So either it really is pretty flat in the front or it's not lit very well to show the true detail in the model. I would expect to see differences in the type of wood used for the frame and panels of the clock. The wood grain direction on vertical and horizontal parts of the frame would run in different directions. The side table also has similar characteristics.

Don't be afraid to add directional spotlights to a scene to add (or even subtract) light accentuate details of objects and to model them in a more interesting way. Even though global illumination is now somewhat usable in production, you still need to know how to place lights manually and creatively to improve your composition.

thanks for the opportunity to comment on your work :-)

Profane
04-28-2004, 05:51 PM
I fall in love with this picture you have done.I love the way the light comes through the blind of the windows and how softly it hits the surfaces of the furniture....:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Elessar
04-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Very nice work... I like the stile and the soft atmosphere. The only problem that jumps to the eye is the strange GI effect. Contact shadows are not so real... expecially where the floor touches the wall. My suggestion is to improve a little your work from this point of view.

Just this... the rest is almost perfect.

phoenix2k
04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
this looks great :)

the only thing i would crit, is the strength of the volumetric light. i'd lower that a bit, since it looks like a pretty clean house, and not all that dusty

decipleofX
04-28-2004, 06:36 PM
hhahahahahaaaaa god i love your avatar:scream: :scream:

hv2
04-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Ooo my good, this is awesome work. :bowdown:
What lights u used ? Very clean render (the blur efect is vizibile)The lighting & render is just perfect. I love the render enigme in LW. kEEp Up #

sk3d
04-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Well done, I have worked on this stuff before and it is a good peice. Very well done. some of the comments are right though, the clock needs definition, nonetheless it is outstanding work :beer:

I Agree ith decipleofx, :D Great avatar!

chrisJ
04-28-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure where this is but your clock says 12:23. Why such a low angled sun shining through? Hows that for nitpicking a great pic.:surprised
BTW I am a fan of old broken clocks, so dont fix it.

HapZungLam
04-28-2004, 07:09 PM
congrat, you are on the front page.

AndrewE
04-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Otacon,

I loved your NES, I loved your Murder Scene, and I love this.

Please, post a wire, and if you could, please post about your lighting solution.

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers!

:beer:

JM-Pestilence
04-28-2004, 07:23 PM
nice work. Looks really good... Nice lightning

otacon
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Thats a pleasant surprise to see this on the front page. Thanks!

Very good crits from everyone. The clock does look flat, but it has very detailed modeling. I should have done a better job of showing that with the lighting. Contact shadows. Very true, and i can see how it takes away from the realism by not having them. To tell the truth, i didnt spend as much time on lighting this scene as a usually do with my others. So theres no excuses for that. The floor tiles do have a bump, and even some dirty specular spots, but i think its the lighting that makes them not stand out.

As usual i used interpolated radiosity for lighting. I'll post the setup as soon as i can. I'll post a wire up too.
Heres a shot of the clock that shows the modeling a little better
.http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/clock1.jpg

gonzadior
04-28-2004, 08:07 PM
iluminacion this incredible, very good image

my image:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140350

maxlover
04-28-2004, 08:26 PM
very nice as last one :)
can you show your lighting setup please:)

ILS
04-28-2004, 08:50 PM
this is really nice work.

i'd like add a few comments though.

the seat cusions was the first thing i noticed, they seem a little too geometrical, just by adding creases on the edges and indenting the middle (as if they were sat on before).

the scene has a somewhat rustic feel to it (or at least to me), but the floor i find a little too clean espesially the molding pannels around the window and along the bottom of the wall. by adding a decorative bevel to either i think will tie in those elemets better.

this is really picky on my part but the angle of arc on the windsor back chairs is a bit off.

windsor back chair (http://216.82.96.118/dining/dinette/chairs/country/4131A2.jpg)

???
04-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Did you take texture pictures of your house or you did the textures on photoshop ?

otacon
04-28-2004, 09:05 PM
No pictures of my house. Textures are from the web, as well as procedurals. Heres a light setup and wire. I know, chairs seem a bit off.
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/lightset.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/Dwire.jpg

bluavenger
04-28-2004, 09:31 PM
VERY COOL WORK!!! I LIKE THE SETUP OF THE LIGHTS!

:buttrock: :applause: :bounce: :beer:

Okan
04-28-2004, 09:32 PM
i really liked that. I'm not very good at 3d to make ciritisicm(is this the right word)..but i'm learning every minute...

elnady
04-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Very nice
;)

MartinGFoster
04-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by otacon
[B] Very good crits from everyone. The clock does look flat, but it has very detailed modeling.

what I meant about the clock is the structure just looks wrong and the material looks like a plastic resin, not any wood I have ever seen.

Here is an example of what I meant about wood grain and the frame and panel construction of a typical "mantel clock"

http://store4.yimg.com/I/clockshopping_1790_394235

sorry to get a bit obsessive but that's what happens after 13 years of working in this industry with other very picky people ;)

mash1000
04-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Lightnign is very nice i think.
Models seams good,all scene has it own climat.
Good effect overall :beer:

Rodi
04-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Great render:thumbsup: You might think this a bit odd but i love the actual dimensions of the image, it's almost a square, i just like that alot...not sure why!!

abina
04-29-2004, 01:30 AM
Oh I think I agree with MartinGFoster!and I don't like the lights

;)

otacon
04-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Thanks Martin. I see what you mean now about the texture. Although the structure is pretty close to my reference image.http://www.anniversary-weddinggifts.com/web_images/web_images/HHWWC9.jpg Its good to be picky.....helps me improve! I'll work on a better wood texture for next time.:D

Lifthz
04-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Hmmm... perfect. The only "problem" is it's not perfect realism, which needs more imperfections. ;)

Ironic! :p

Error404
04-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Nice scene and composition

I have to comment though, I would have left out the "volume" light rays in the air. it's to cliche', and doesn't fit with the sparkling clean look of everything else. and also, tie those cushions to the chair :D

Sas.hun
04-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Very Nice Work! :thumbsup:

Great Lighting and Rendering! :bowdown:

antweiler
04-29-2004, 09:54 AM
great work !!
I can see nothing to improve and cannot see any technical issues even with a looking glass. ok im not a photoreal guy. For me the previous comments are mostly taste comments,
about making it more like an illustration or more sweet and warm or darkly.
its the artists decision at least.

tonfarben
04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
After seeing the wire I say stunning! Why? Cuz I thought the room next to the kitchen is a photo composed into the image. But itīs modelled too, great work man!

kayniac
04-29-2004, 10:30 AM
very nice! *thumbs up*

AndrewE
04-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks Otacon for the lighting and wireframe!

Looks fantastic!

Keep up the good work, and stop by the lightwave forum once and awhile.

Cheers,

Sue3d
04-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Beautiful scene, very warm and cozy. The only little crit I'd like to add is that the plates look a little flat to me. But maybe it's just me. :)

Rhino169
04-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Beautiful Job!:thumbsup:

Now on to the rest of the house!:scream: :bowdown:

Amilton Diesel
04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I think is a good image, but I have to be sincere, there is nothing special. The image has a palette too similar, and the contrast is low, make me think there is a grey cloud disturbing my vision. That bothers me a lot. Sorry, this is my point of view.

Shaka_x
04-29-2004, 06:19 PM
The tiles on the floor have a sticker look,....but in general ,you have done a great job!

RobinOberg
04-29-2004, 07:58 PM
excellent cushions on the chairs.
really nice feel on the wallpapers.
and the lighting is ofcourse very cool.

stuff like the cups and the silverware could use some more texture though

MartinGFoster
04-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by otacon
Thanks Martin. I see what you mean now about the texture. Although the structure is pretty close to my reference image.http://www.anniversary-weddinggifts.com/web_images/web_images/HHWWC9.jpg Its good to be picky.....helps me improve! I'll work on a better wood texture for next time.:D

I would have to disagree about the similarity in the model. Notice how your reference clock photo has much more modeled details that causes shadow lines and nice shading variations in the front. Especially the area where the clock face is. I think that should be recessed -- like a recessed panel. Your clock face on the CG model is on a completely flat piece of geometry.

Also, now I'm looking at the clock more closely, the glass on the face of the clock doesn't look like a seperate piece of reflective geometry. If I was doing it, I would make it more reflective and somewhat refractive of the internal parts of the clock.

Like I said, I'm very picky and please take all this as positive critique. I work on look development for photo realistic objects/characters for feature films all day long, so I do get caught up in the details.

DoLeeP
04-30-2004, 07:18 AM
:thumbsup:

ages
04-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Otacon, this latest is even better than previous!
Post more layout pics n stuff so we all can learn from you.
i.e Light placment and types.
Also what are your favourite tools n plugins u use to create your archi stuff?

You deserve front page easily.

otacon
04-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks. What kind of layout stuff would you want to see?
Some of the tools i use the most are bevel, drill, smooth shift, knife, rail extrude. Most stuff doesnt take too many tools to do, you just have to know how things look and make them.

InTheCity
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
the realism is there for sure, I had to look twice to see if my eyes were being fooled. Great Job!

ringrings
05-01-2004, 10:26 AM
pretty works.

ages
05-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Otacon how bout a layout snap shot showing top right and cam views with lights visible so I can see the position of them, as U are doing the screen shot hold the mouse ove rthe lights pull down so I can see all the types of lights u have used..

If its not too much trouble hehe..Im sure it can help us newbs. Also what sort of GI settings u use?
Like monte carlo or interpolated with motion blur?

otacon
05-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Heres another screen of the light setup, and the GI settings. No motion blur was used.
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/light842.jpg
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/light902.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.