PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Showreel

shoey
04-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,

This has been a long time coming. it should've been finished months and months ago but i never got around to doing it due to other commitments.

Anyway its done now so here's my showreel from 2003. The quality is a bit poor because of my website size restrictions.

Shoey Reel, Quicktime 6.4mb (http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/browser/avi/shoey_reel_small.mov)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Phil.:thumbsup:

mattmos
04-27-2004, 07:40 PM
<harsh crit>
To start I'd say it's too long - 2:00 should be what you aim for, 2:30 max. The pieces I'd take out would be the alien with the balloons - both clips, as it's not a great model, and the animation is too jerky to appeal to employers. I'd also consider removing the witch, though there's nothing majorly wrong with it, it doesn't jump out as good work.

If there is any sound with the animations, then I'd put it in, as it shows that you can lip synch. Personally I find the music a bit overpowering and off tone for the broadly comedic content.

Think about grouping the animation and modelling a bit better - it was slightly jarring to go from fully rendered animation to wireframes and back - where do you want to end up, an animator or modeller? Put that work first to ensure the viewer knows you give it priority.

At the start you have a good 18 seconds before we see any work, which you could trim slightly, or include more info in those pages, such as contact details.

I do think that you have some excellent work in there, the later modelling is great and the animation of the girl and the hamsters is pretty good, but it is kind of lost in the length of the reel.
</harsh crit>

I haven't tackled a compilation style demo reel myself yet but I hope this comes across as helpful, and if you haven't checked out this thread yet then do, there are some great reels in there, particularly jason osipa's:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135358&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.