PDA

View Full Version : i need an opinion on this laptop please...

iconboy
04-27-2004, 06:15 AM
hey all, ive finally decided to get a laptop. Im not thinking "Hey i want something that is dirt cheap!" , but i dont want to pay $2000+ for a laptop, i would just get too stressed and paranoid about taking it outside. I want a laptop with power, but something i can just throw in a bag and take out with me. I did some research and came across this...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=86247&Sku=E400-M5312

just hoping for some opinions on it. What am i gonna be using it for? watching dvds, doing heavy flash and writing and some minimal 3d (3ds max and maya, but very minimal as in my desktop is mostly used for 3d). i guess battery life isnt SUPER important, i see myself plugged in most of the time. it would be nice if this machine lasted at least 2 hours and the reviews make it seem like it does. but i am still hoping for an opinion or two on it. Emachines? whats up, am i buying a lemon?! :(

here are the specs for a quick glance...

Specifications:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
AMD® Athlon Mobile XP2400+ Processor*
512MB PC2100 DDR Memory
60GB† Hard Drive
15.4" WXGA TFT Active Matrix Display
DVD-ROM / CD-RW Combo Drive
64MB ATI® Mobility RADEON™
PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN
56K ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
10/100Mbps Built-in Ethernet
USB 2.0 Interface
IEEE1394 Firewire

thanks in advance! :)

marc001
04-27-2004, 09:10 PM
You will need more power than that.

Get one with:
1. Nvidia geforce fx 5900 256mb
2. a gig of ram
3. Intel P4 2.60 GHz

singularity2006
04-27-2004, 09:18 PM
eMachines has never had a good desktop reputation for high end useres but from what I hear, they are gaining momentum in the notebook market. For what you are getting, that is a damn good deal for what you will be doing. However, the only thing I'm not too keen on is the video card ... I don't recall, but I think you can find a few better models on tigerdirect that have better video cards. I would actually suggest you take a look @ Sager notebooks. Those guys are definitely loaded, but a bit pricey. Here is a link:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.