PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know where i can find a really cheap, really small monitor?

jbo
04-26-2004, 10:28 PM
a tiny crt or small flatscreen. i'm looking for something totally portable... it would be used with a rackmounted computer to do live music, and i really don't care much about the quality... as long as text is readable and it can do 1024*768, that's fine with me. (in fact, i don't even care if it's mono chromatic.) thanks.

-jesse

Valkyrien
04-26-2004, 10:57 PM
what price range are we talking here?

here are some 15" LCDs in the $250+ range....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=20&DEPA=1&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=3789

Novakog
04-26-2004, 11:33 PM
15" or maybe a cheap 17" LCD is what you want - much lighter and more portable than a CRT.

singularity2006
04-27-2004, 04:37 AM
I have a friend that works at a warehouse that buys and sells used computer components as well as monitors. PM me if you want his contact info.

Valkyrien
04-27-2004, 05:12 AM
and of course there's always www.compgeeks.com ;)

Novakog
04-27-2004, 05:27 AM
Or newegg.com, or tigerdirect.com, etc.

tubby
04-27-2004, 06:10 AM
i needed a monitor for something similar and I decided to take a look at the local Goodwill just out of curiosity. I found a monitor(15 inch) for like 5 bucks and it was color! The monitor lasted forever(until i loaned it to a friend).

jbo
04-27-2004, 06:34 AM
cool, thanks for all the replies. i've looked at newegg... i was just wondering if they make lcd monitors that are smaller than 15"... cause i just purchased a new computer and am pretty much out of money. does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert a notebook monitor for use with a dvi or vga jack?

elvis
04-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jbo
does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert a notebook monitor for use with a dvi or vga jack?

Nigh impossible. I've known a number of individuals who've tried and failed miserably when stuck with proprietry interfacing methods and crazy electronics.

Your best bet is to get a small portable LCD or black and white portable television (or possibly even security camera monitor) that has Video-in through either RCA or SVHS. Then use the TV-Out from your video card through that.

Use a high-contrast colour mode with large text, and that should get you through.

Small monitors are generally applications specific, and not common in PC areas (honestly, who REALLY wants a smaller monitor???). You're going to have to look outside the world of PC use and see if you can connect to a differend device.

Innovation is successful disobedience. :thumbsup:

Valkyrien
04-27-2004, 01:15 PM
jbo: no one besides yourself would want something that small...so I'm pretty sure that 15" is as small as monitors get nowadays...I used to have one that was probably 14", but it was so old that 640x480 was out of its range;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.