PDA

View Full Version : female heroine character design (nudity)

Terminal24
04-26-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.gtp.org.uk/junk.images/sd/diaz_leather.png

and a zoom on that complex expression:

http://www.gtp.org.uk/junk.images/sd/diaz_leather_zoom.png

Its taken me ages to get this done, so much tweaking!! Any feedback would be nice. This concept I will later translate to 3d.
Her armour is more Barbarella than Joan of Arc ;)

Here's the sketches: (had to fix the proportions when illustrating.)

http://www.gtp.org.uk/junk.images/sd/sd_sketch.jpg

And also here's the original idea (space diaz) that I did a while back, the basic idea was to make a bare chested heroine that wasn't overly sexual or imposing but quite serious. http://www.gtp.org.uk/junk.images/sd/sd_old.jpg

please give me your likes and dislikes. I'm going to revisit this later to do a side view and a possible action view before I model her.
The weapon is a sort of sound based thing, sonic boom arm or something.. The final model will be used as portfolio material in a small director3d game (using flatshading)

teknotek83
04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
excellent job! makes me want to start doing vector art. love your website , too!

jnurp
04-26-2004, 07:04 PM
love your image! and you surely know that vector is not easy at all

perfecti
04-26-2004, 09:33 PM
..nice skethes (i guess you wrong with proportions)...nice design ... great expression ... good work ..:)

maxou
04-27-2004, 09:06 AM
the model is okay (some proportion probs maybe) but you used too many fill colors.. you'd better use gradient or simply make different shapes to provide volumes.
look at this boy i made:

the image (http://users.skynet.be/bk320761/divers/joshcompo.jpg) (better like that Terminal24?)

i only used fill colors but made different shapes for the same part of the body.. then it makes volume (not enough contrasted here).
your pic is a nice start but it needs more details.
good game anyway :)

Terminal24
04-27-2004, 10:18 AM
maxou

I really have no idea what you are on about or why you're pimping your work in my thread ;)

good game? fill gadients? details? I fear you have no clue what you're on about

Thanks for the comments everyone (wow its hard to get even one reply in cgtalk usually)

maxou
04-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Terminal24 it's not flooding..
i said i think your illustration is too flat. i said to use gradient fills and not simple colors and finally i shown you how i make volumes without gradients.. if you don't know what a gradient color is, then i fear YOU have no clue what you're on about. that was just a crit, that's why you posted this thread isn't it? i think your job is not finished. that's all.
Sincerely.

Terminal24
04-27-2004, 12:26 PM
I think more detail would ruin it ;)

As for colouring, its pretty much what I'm doing at the moment - more minimal. Check my website for more.

I'd never use a gradient to fill shape or volume. They are ugly :cry: but I do use gradients here and there sometimes.

Everything in moderation I believe. I think a lot of work on this forum is highly different, taking the uber detailed approach :/

(Thanks for taking your artwork out of this thread, nothing personal but if the shoe was on the other foot I'm sure you'd ask me to do the same. I'm confused about "good game" mostly... what game?)

maxou
04-27-2004, 01:38 PM
there were no bad intentions in my crits but you reacted like an artist who posts an image and says: "you can criticize but i won't modify my pic."
i just told you some tips, i use illustrator since 5 years then i know how to get the right effects.
i saw your site and you're really good in webdesign, but maybe you can checkout mine too to see what i did with gradient tools. the gradients are ugly when you use ugly colors.. it's normal.
you said it's pretty much what you're doing right now.. well if you think it it's cool but you'd better take care about the other guys when they give you advices. trust me (no agression just talkin').
(good game: well done, nice stuff, good work)
see ya.

Terminal24
04-27-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't want a game of tennis here with you maxou.

I think the reason why I was a bit annoyed with your first reply is because you jumped in, told me that I was doing everything wrong and posted some of your own artwork in here.

You should know, there is no right or wrong, only personal preference. I guess this is what you were trying to do, please try wording your messages differently to avoid confusion.

Again, thanks for the feed back, its a ****ing miracle that anyone replied... cgtalk is an odd place.

THE_Dave
04-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Looks nice but it looks too flat to me. That might be the style you are going for but I think it would look much nicer with more shading and highlights. Just my opinion.

Spritemare
04-28-2004, 03:27 AM
An idea -- take your pencil sketch, then import that "final" colored rendition of it in a new layer on top of it, then do a layer blend into the sketch, then work on some shading. It will look cool, believe me :)

Phantomstranger
04-28-2004, 08:13 AM
looks good for a vector effect. only thing I would suggest is the arm on the left side should have something to seperate the hand from the extension (like in the original drawing you have).

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.