PDA

View Full Version : Still : Sony Xplod 50Wx4 In-Car Mp3 Player

alexyork
04-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi all.

This is a little summut I did today in MAX and Brazil of my in-car mp3 player.

http://www.alexyork.co.uk/images/EQ3-01.jpg
EQ3-01 (off)

http://www.alexyork.co.uk/images/EQ3-02.jpg
EQ3-02 (on, somehow magically powered without being in the car!)

Cheers! :beer:

Polakow
04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
hey good model and good image!
it was all modeled in max? poly or nurbs?
maybe more illumination on the dark parts should makes more visible some detail...

see u:thumbsup:

alexyork
04-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks Polakow :) It's all modelled in MAX, with a mixture of nurbs and polys. I agree the darker areas could be brightened up a little, but it wouldn't be so convincing given the mood.

Ta :)

elnady
04-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Very nice
:buttrock:

alexyork
04-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Cheers Ahmed :)

BazyBen
04-26-2004, 01:35 AM
that looks great! photoreal..
how did you render it? HDRI?
any postwork?
anyway, very nice :)

snowrvn
04-26-2004, 02:46 AM
i'm loving it, the tone and atmosphere is awesome. looking forward to seeing more of your stuff ;)

Black_Tiger
04-26-2004, 06:18 AM
wow dats very beautil job u done.

looks like u took a pics, dats how real u done...

Helgi
04-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Damn, I absolutely love this render! :D

How did you do this? HDRI?

Wolfy
04-26-2004, 09:03 AM
I have that deck! It's sweet :)

Theres one absolutely huge error tho, the faceplate comes off in a full rectangle, not just the part in the middle. The source/open etc buttons come with it.

Also the att, dso, and sel buttons should look a little more translucent, right now they look like rubber. The equalizer one on the right should be too, but with the DoF it's not that noticable.

Theres a couple other labelling things that are different on mine, like the last button on the bottom says List right on it not above it, but thats nothing important.

And to be real nit-picky the blue color on the second one is too green :)

tomaa
04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Very nice modelling, that think look real to me...

good work

how long did it take you to model it?

steverage
04-26-2004, 11:43 AM
nice stuff, are you at Teesside Uni by any chance? am a veteran of the establishment myself:D

Daveaustin
04-26-2004, 11:49 AM
That's looking damm nice :thumbsup:

I also happen to be a ex-Teessider... graduated end of '02
Hey Steve how's tricks?? catch you on Messenger some time!

again... awesome work!!

alexyork
04-26-2004, 12:50 PM
BazyBen & Black_Tiger & DogSter : thanks guys! I didn't use HDRI for this (I still need to learn how to use HDRI inside MAX). I did a lot of post work on this - colour correction and DOF. The DOF is painted blurs rather than real DOF to save on rendertimes. Noise was added. That's about it - the rest is modelling/texturing.

snowrvn: thank you :) the mood is something I always spend a lot of time on in my work. I think I spent 2 hours just on colour correction.

Wolfy: you got me! damn I was hoping I had some obscure model that noone else would have lol. you're dead right - I didn't model the outer deck at all - ran out of time (was meant to be a single-day project for speed rendering). I also left out the two AF and TA buttons. I definitely need to re-render those blobby ATT and SEL buttons (way too opaque at the mo). Thanks for the observations.

steverage & Daveaustin: sup guys :beer: I am at Tees uni yup. 2nd year right now. Steve are you current or ex? What courses did u guys do. Cheers lads :)

steverage
04-26-2004, 01:01 PM
I did BSc Vis 1999-2002, then MA computer animation 2002-2003 (my BSc final project stuff is probably still on the machines in IT 1/11!). BSc was a biatch wot with all the visual programmin of cloth and particle systems...but hey, made sure I could do MA so all is good. Does Dr Matt (aka matthew holten) still have that amazing quiff....?
EDIT dont get yr hopes up about getting a work placement, hardly anyone gets anything and even then wot they get u sucks. better get yr ass onto the final year and get good. dont waste a year doing web pages at BT or similar if you wanna be an animator.... saying that, if u do take a year out, make sure u spend all yr free time designing yr final project!!

alexyork
04-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Ah cool. two of my housemates are on Vis. They're finding all the programming hard work too. But they will be master shader writers by the end of their course. I forgot to remove that request for a placement. I've decided not to do one in the end, unless by some miracle I get an offer. I've tried very hard to get my work around. I e-mailed at least 20 companies I think and phoned quite a few too. I'd rather finish my course I recon. I just got an internship too, which is great experience anyway. Cheers for the advice. :beer:

ragna
04-26-2004, 01:09 PM
omg :surprised damn good
I like these tech-art images

steverage
04-26-2004, 01:12 PM
just checkin yr [alex] site out, really nice stuff!
i see u have aaron blenkin on yr links page, he was on my course till he deferred and is constantly on my msn tryin to get me into F1...hehe

how do u kno him?

alexyork
04-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks ragna :)

Aye I know Aaron, sort of. We're MSN buddies lol. I'm meeting up with him 2morrow for the 1st time as it goes. Cheers for checkin out my site too m8. :)

alexyork
04-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Aaaah so it's you guys working on In the Dead of Night! That looks awesome. Saw a glimpse of it a few months back. Excellent work on your site man. Nice to see fellow lighting/rendering junkies :beer:

steverage
04-26-2004, 01:39 PM
indeed, the plot thickens!!

ITDON has kinda died (s'cuse the pun)...
but BallisticPanda is about to begin on a new animation soon....

alexyork
04-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Ah that's a shame. it was looking awesome. oh well im sure your new piece will kick some butt.

btw matt does still have a phenominal quiff :)

stunner
04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
it really kicks ass man :buttrock:
very nice render and texturing !
:thumbsup:

mogla
04-26-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm late as usual but not too late to catch a glimse of pretty cool work.

dunno about the technicalities but I can see it now, " sony face off" the movie, maybe a short anim of someone (a hand) picking it up a moment after it switches itself off (Like a sony ad). According to the talk from your main boys earlier it might end up supporting your folio in another incarnation.

crit: in my view the competition is getting a bit steep so i'll just have to kill you.
:hmm:

alexyork
04-26-2004, 07:45 PM
stunner: thanks man! :beer:

mogla - hahah what a great suggestion! i might well animate this scene some day, but probably not. im concentrating on learning the key skills in lighting/rendering/compositing in still images for the moment in preparation for my final year project. someday I will have to animate something! thanks a lot m8 :)

mogla
04-29-2004, 02:51 AM
just one other thing though, are the type faces used identical to those used on the unit itself (or just close enough)and if so how did you source them?

RusMan
04-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Wow, these renders rock, looking very professional and moody.:beer:

alexyork
04-29-2004, 12:16 PM
RusMan: thanks a lot mate :beer:

mogla: some parts are just photos (like the main screen in the centre, which has been enhanced from the original photo) but most are painted in photoshop. Logos and things like that are photos. Most of the text parts, I remade in Photoshop to get a better resolution. I dirtied everything up (adding scratches and stuff) to make sure it looked like it had been used a lot.

I do actually have this model, so I had it in front of me while I was working on it for the best reference. Took at least 50 photos too. :)

EricCartman
04-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Can u post original Max render (without the post Photoshop work)?

alexyork
04-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Deleted it :rolleyes: sorry lol.

Cadinho
04-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Nice render! Nice radio!!

I think I will model my Xplod as well...

:beer:

alexyork
04-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Cheers :) they really are stunning stereos aren't they? unfortunately the only reason I bought it was because some bastard broke into my car and stole my old cd player. (yer my fault for leaving it in the car lol).

good luck with your model

andyspence
05-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Mother,
I have this in my car too! Its nice, but take it from me - keep it in the case!

My bro is in the first year of our course - he & his house mate's Corsas got the same treatment the other day. They think its actually someone on our course as well. I'm gettin an alarm for next year....

-Quad.

Xanothis
05-21-2004, 01:12 PM
I sure do like photorealism. Very nice work on texture, and the DoF is well done.

Heh, this place is filling up with us Teessiders... which isn't a bad thing.

alexyork
05-21-2004, 04:33 PM
sup guys - it's the attack of the teessiders! we'll be the new Ringling in no time! thanks a lot Xanothis :beer: btw that DOF is hand painted with blur tool, not "real" DOF (ie 3D).

quad: no f*cking WAY??? a student on our course?!??!! jeeze... luckily it was only my old crappy CD player that got nicked last year, not a nice one. but it still cost me £150 to replace it and the window that got smashed in. the door is still dented now tho.. cba to get it fixed - would cost another £50 at least i expect. insurance companies are the bain of my existence....

anyway cheers guys - i should be cleaning kitchens and other fun runner jobs... :hmm:

Z1K0B4
05-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I used to have this deck.... sell it and buy an alpine! night and day difference in SQ. I kid you not.

I like the render, but its real hard to tell what is photo textured and what is modelled. can you post a "clay" render, or wireframe?

andyspence
05-21-2004, 09:00 PM
BTW, when I first got my car insured in Middlesbrough my insurance company offered me free window insurance because where I lived. !

-Quad.

alexyork
05-21-2004, 10:43 PM
mhmm kindly share your insurance comapny name please m8, that would be awesome.

Z1K0B4 - hi there, thanks a lot! everything is modeled. texture maps are used for the text/labels and stuff like that, but everything else is modeled (polys).

AndréNozawa
05-22-2004, 05:02 AM
I like the details.Specially the Brazilian band Krisium:thumbsup:
Am I wrong?:buttrock:

alexyork
05-22-2004, 10:23 AM
hella yeh! Krisun kick a*s :beer: cheers man

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.