PDA

View Full Version : Character: fingers crossed (first timer, comments please)

alma
04-25-2004, 06:57 PM
hey there... well... i never really had the courage to put my work up because all the work here are so good... i'm in grade 11.. so my skills are still weak... but i thought i'd post one and get some comments and suggestions on how i should improve in the future... learned alot from all the amazing artists on this site... :bowdown:

this piece is actually for an assignment at school... had alot of troubles with the wrinkles and bone structure because my anatomy is still lacking.. but i'm working on it... please let me know what you think...

thanks alot
alma

http://uf2k51.chinaw3.com/alma/idiom.jpg

fifty3dragons
04-25-2004, 08:59 PM
I was quite taken by this picture. The face (especially the eyes) is very expressive, and the choice of pose just wonderful. I like the contrast between an outfit that symboizes great faith and the crossing of the fingers (not sure if that's the feel it was meant to convey, but that's where I went with it :-).

In terms of critique (all minor stuff):

I noticed some pixel issues to either side of the eyes, both where the white part of her habit meets the face and then again to the left where the black part of the habit meets the red background. This gives away the CG origins of the picture, but should be easily fixed, I think.

I also note that the lower part of the clothing under her chin is wrinkled a bit and looks more worn in, which gives a certain impresison of her, but then at the top of her head and to some extent the sides as well it's ultra smooth, which I would agree is part of how they appear but was still in contrast to the lower part (i.e. very stiff and smooth). So for me there seemed a disconnect between the two. Consider either wrinkling the top and side parts slightly (that would be my choice; I think it adds to her character), or maybe smoothing out the lower part a bit more.

The background also felt too 'uniform' in colouor, again betraying the CG origins. Perhaps try for a more mottled background that breaks things up a bit. From what I can see accomplished on the rest of the picture, that shouldn't be too much of a stretch :-)

Overall a nice piece. Keep up the good work.

Alice
04-25-2004, 10:13 PM
nice start!
The fingers and lips lack some definition to keep the apart, right now, they kinda "melt" together.
Would also love another background and some more highlights around wet or fat areas in face and on hands.
Oh, and eyes on such old people tend to be a bit yellowish.
The tip of her nose seems weird and I think it would help with a shadow under the nose aswell.
Good work!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.