PDA

View Full Version : Two Digital Paintings - "Closet Raver" and "Hangin' Out"

CPArt
04-25-2004, 04:36 AM
I haven't posted around here in awhile, but that's given me the chance to create some new art! Both these pieces were 'painted' in Photoshop 6.0 with my Wacom. Both these pieces make use of my 'Digital Realism' technique (wich I have tutorials of on my website)

"Hangin' Out"
4911x3500

A digital piece of three of my friends as animals. Left to right, Shahin (dingo), Shahriyar (rat/wolf) and Greg (direwolf). The characters were all painted in photoshop, and the background is a photo wich I took after I drew the characters, so matching the lighting totally was tricky. This piece was an experiment with photo-realism, to see how 'real' I could make these fantasy characters look. I'm very happy with this one, and my friends got a big kick out of it :) For some reason though, when I sized it down and sharpened it, this wierd halo appeared around Shahin's dark shirt. I assure you though, that is not part of the actual image.

http://www.starfinder.biz/sf-hanginout.jpg

Details are available here: Shahriyar's Face (http://www.starfinder.biz/dr-shahriyar.jpg) , Shahin's Face (http://www.starfinder.biz/dr-shahin.jpg) and Greg's Face (http://www.starfinder.biz/dr-greg.jpg)

------------------------------

"Closet Raver"
4800x6300

My friend Clemonde as a hyena/dog mix. While he isn't a raver in real life, the concept of him being one and being 'in the closet' about it was just too cute to pass up. This piece also gave me a chance to play with dynamic lighting and glow trails. This piece isn't that recent, however. It was my last drawing of 2003, done sometime in late December. However, I never posted it here, so I might as well, to get feedback and such.

http://www.starfinder.biz/sf_crave.jpg

Details are available here: Face Detail (http://www.starfinder.biz/rave1.jpg) and Body Detail (http://www.starfinder.biz/rave2.jpg)

------------------------------

All feedback/critiques are welcome and greatly appreciated!

omar C
04-25-2004, 11:16 AM
totaly cool...kind of like te newer version of the dogs playing pool ,you no that painting these are like the 2004 dogs all modern and stuff:applause:

NeBuLa
04-25-2004, 11:17 AM
nice work :thumbsup: i have a dog like the one to the right :)

ZB-Rob
04-25-2004, 11:18 AM
To make the understatement of the day: you can draw. Quite nice, too.

No really, it's beautiful. Do you make money with this, or is it just a hobby?

KolbyJukes
04-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Excellent work. No critques from me.

I've never seen Anthromorphic/furries characters done so realistically.

Are you really only 15 years old? I was browsing around your site, and I did a double take when I saw your age. Very impressive.

-Kol.

TheHellmaster
04-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Damn... Thatīs too cool!

I really really like these three doggys :D :thumbsup:

Great job!

TheHellmaster

JackaL(px)
04-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Amazing, just like the last things you posted here!

Minor thing, would there be even the slightest bit of light on the hair of the raver from the yellow glowband? if not then nevermind!

Ch3
04-25-2004, 11:37 AM
wow!
I saw your work in your site which also looks quite impressive, especially for your age!
keep it up!

caulfield
04-25-2004, 12:01 PM
wireframe!!!

spm
04-25-2004, 12:04 PM
LOL! :D

Queen_K
04-25-2004, 12:07 PM
How long did it take you to do the three-dog image? Man, I couldn't see myself putting in all the dogs hair...you would have to be a very patient person!! Its a very nice style you have there :) So is it true about your age? Amazing!

Bigpet
04-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Whoa this rocks :buttrock:. What an awesome talent.
Just tell me one thing. At what age did you begin drawing?

DJ Scorchio
04-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Furrys scare the crap outa me :(
Very well done though

ntmonkey
04-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow, absolutely amazing. Great fur, great glow effects. My wacom would never cooperate long enough to do that. Wait, that's my hand.......no.....my brain.....uh oh.

Lu

mr.wheels
04-25-2004, 12:34 PM
UNreal work I really like the idea and the detail level is excellent 10 points for U :applause: :bounce: :cool:

Holymight
04-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Great stuff, very well done. No crits here. And you are only 15, damn, you rock. :buttrock:

leonard-davi
04-25-2004, 01:14 PM
wow !! amazing details and great ideia !:thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

Fox Mc Cloud
04-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Seen this stuff a while ago on Yerf darn cool stuff please
more of that :thumbsup: and i really have to check out how
you have done that could be usefull for my texturing skills :)

Greetz Fox Mc Cloud

sypherr
04-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Great work, checked out the tutorials too. Amazing for your age :)

berniebernie
04-25-2004, 02:09 PM
simply enormous !

I crave the fur of these dogs - good job !

Great work, checked out the tutorials too. Amazing for your age

Amazing for any age :bowdown:

arliss
04-25-2004, 02:29 PM
From website: Cristina Penescu is a 15 year old fantasy illustrator. She lives in southern California, and is currently a sophomore at Taft High School. She has been marketing her artwork online for the past 3 and a half years, and at art shows and conventions since early 2003. She has also had her artwork displayed at a few galleries and universities.

:bowdown: This is just amazing raw talent Cristina- I find it incredible that you can be that young and so focused, confident, and have such a great grasp of the fundamentals of art- I have no doubt that you will achieve all your goals- keep on finding those stars inside!:)

???
04-25-2004, 02:30 PM
AMAZING AS HELL ! :eek:

Max4d
04-25-2004, 03:39 PM
It was just a matter of time before you would make the frontpage Christina :D:D.

Great work, i realy like it.

Max4d

deathblood
04-25-2004, 03:41 PM
:applause: :applause:
d-men are very cool!I like~
:applause:

baoling
04-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Haha... just like man = wolf! Ow~~~

Great painting.

smileyPotato
04-25-2004, 03:48 PM
i checked out your webpage, and i have to say there seems to be a lot of wasted talent in limiting yourself to dog people wearing abercrombie shirts. although your level of detailing and artistic capabilities show through you work, this is of the worst content i've ever seen. rather than restricting yourself to copying photo after photo of all your best buds wearing dog costumes, you should do something like make actual characters and put them in better compositions (not: this is Jake, Johnny and Reginald having fun at the arcade!).

this is my opinion, of course, but age 15 or not, if she keeps getting all the fanboys praising her work she going to be drawing dogs (and "rat/wolf") all her life. although itd be pretty funny to see a dog character in wheelchair or something when she's age 80.

and out of curiousity.. why all the shirt logos and company names? its horribly distracting.

EricUNSL
04-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Beautiful work:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wish I had this kind of skill when I was your age. Don't think wacom even existed when I was 15. Looking forward to more front page stuff from you. Now gonna go check out your site, that's if it hasn't been overloaded. :eek:

DoLeeP
04-25-2004, 04:15 PM
:thumbsup:

Howard Day
04-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Howdy, Christina. Great stuff - never thought I'd say that to a post with furries - but...heh.

Well, I thought I take this opportunity to talk to those out there that seem to think that you a "limiting" yourself by doing furry portraits. I'd like to remind them that you're a 15 year old girl. You can do whatever art you darn well please. Holee molee. These guys seem to think you're trying to get hired as an illustrator - and that doesn't seem to be the case. These are for fun, as far as I can see. Let the lady have some fun.
Sheesh.

elnady
04-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Fantastic job:scream:

CPArt
04-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Bigpet
Whoa this rocks :buttrock:. What an awesome talent.
Just tell me one thing. At what age did you begin drawing?

I started drawing around age 2 or so. I was very young, heh.

Originally posted by Queen_K
How long did it take you to do the three-dog image? Man, I couldn't see myself putting in all the dogs hair...you would have to be a very patient person!! Its a very nice style you have there :) So is it true about your age? Amazing!

The image with three characters took around 140 hours or so, mabe more. And yep, I am indeed 15 (will be 16 in Nov.)

Originally posted by smileyPotato
i checked out your webpage, and i have to say there seems to be a lot of wasted talent in limiting yourself to dog people wearing abercrombie shirts. although your level of detailing and artistic capabilities show through you work, this is of the worst content i've ever seen. rather than restricting yourself to copying photo after photo of all your best buds wearing dog costumes, you should do something like make actual characters and put them in better compositions (not: this is Jake, Johnny and Reginald having fun at the arcade!).

this is my opinion, of course, but age 15 or not, if she keeps getting all the fanboys praising her work she going to be drawing dogs (and "rat/wolf") all her life. although itd be pretty funny to see a dog character in wheelchair or something when she's age 80.

and out of curiousity.. why all the shirt logos and company names? its horribly distracting.

Well, firstly, this piece was very lightly referenced from a photo, not 'directly copied'. I take offense to that. I merely referenced a photo for thier structure, then posed them how I wanted. And for Closet Raver I used a photo ref of my real life friend just to capture his goofy expression, that's all. The photo references help me make the characters look like the people they are based off of.

As for being the 'worst content you've ever seen', well that's just rude. I don't like abstract art, but I don't go telling the artist that it's the 'worst content ever', no. It's just not nice. I personally, at the risk of sounding bitter, do not care whether you like my work or not. It makes me happy, and I earn money off of it, so I'll keep doing it.

You may not like anthropomorphic art, but I have been freelancing for 3 and a half years and catering to that group, and it pays. Sure, it's doesn't pay like a professional illustration job, but I can still fetch a few hundreds per piece, wich is still decent. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's crap or not profitable. This doesn't mean I will not draw other things ever, oh I will, but in my liesure time, I will be drawing these sorts of things, because it's fun, and I enjoy it.

And just for your information, I don't need 'photo reference' to draw, mmkay? Here's a work in progress shot of something I'm working on with no photo reference at all. It shows I can draw without photo reference, and also design fantasy vehicles too.

http://www.starfinder.biz/rider-color3.jpg
This one is still being worked on heavily. Expect to see the finished version soon, though.

catbert
04-25-2004, 08:14 PM
some GREAT art (i mistook it for 3d, really!) and some great tutorials. you rool!:buttrock: :beer: :applause:

Annuostivix
04-25-2004, 08:20 PM
there are so many professionals that would find it challenging to match your quality of work. You have amazing talent.

OptimusDinkus
04-25-2004, 08:59 PM
I wouldnt let it get under your skin starfinder. To be honest, at that age drawing any kind of content that detailed at that age is amazing at best. Its wonderfull to see the amount of work you put into. If you are to become a graphics artist you allready have a large jump start allready. However bad critiques allways will come up and you just have to let your skin toughen up alot. Not to mention when you might start going to college time becomes a great comoditiy, so draw as much as you can. As far as critiques go, the detail is amazing, but there are anatomy issues with one of the characters in the first picture (he kind of looks like a rat) however if thats what you intended then its fine =).

future14
04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
wow!!!! great work dude!!! looks really cool~ will u introduce more tutorials on ur site in the future????

CPArt
04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by OptimusDinkus
As far as critiques go, the detail is amazing, but there are anatomy issues with one of the characters in the first picture (he kind of looks like a rat) however if thats what you intended then its fine =).

If you are reffering to the middle character, he's intended to look like that, since I made him a hybrid animal. He's a mix of a rat and a wolf (yeah, it would never happen, but then again, neither would anthros, heh)

specs44
04-25-2004, 09:56 PM
u have amazing work i know thats ben said a million times already but its the truth. i guess doing work like this at such an early age really makes u a digital art prodigy. ur already exposing your self and making ur rounds and getting paid for your work. ur definately on the right track.

well u can't post any good artwork and not expect a hater. sometimes they say stuff because they just hate seeing so much positive praise. your already in the right place to make things really happen. i wish u the best of luck:thumbsup:

richd
04-25-2004, 11:01 PM
well, for 15 years old, star certainly does a great job in detailing the characters well which is good. but the character designs seem a little off place in areas and a little too repetative (just checked out stars site). nonetheless nice picture, looking forward too see more.

kraal
04-25-2004, 11:32 PM
starfinder .... i am really impressed with your art and your attitude.... i like the way you defendere yourself , your style and your art.... cause who cares what anyone else says it is yours. I am really impressed and the logo's on the t-shirts is cool ..... have you ever sent any of those designs to a clothing company..... again great work keep it up and love the attitude ;)

kraal

hesido
04-26-2004, 12:03 AM
I don't like the.. I don't like the... Darn, I can't find anything to say :)

You mention that you haven't posted here for a while, but said that's given you the chance for doing some new art shown here. If that is really the case, keep your posts to a minimum, and keep drawing, I mean, keep it up!

Cyborgguineapig
04-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Holy wow I am jealous lol. Keep up the amazing work! :applause:

raft
04-26-2004, 05:44 AM
i think its really well done but
furries in abercrombie shirts
holy crap, waste of talent

chainjane
04-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Cool ! cool! cool!

Very love your painting !

specs44
04-26-2004, 06:46 AM
ok i just saw your website! very good, u gotta really good understanding of texture and lighting. looking at your pics i think it would be nice to see u play more with just overall composition of your pics. trying different perspectives and doing less straight on frontal views. u work is really great, now u just gotta keep challenging yourself.

p.s. nice little tutorial on fur, i got this lion character i gotta try that on.
donp244:beer:

olijosman
04-26-2004, 08:09 AM
very good technique and fine detail.:thumbsup:

Garma
04-26-2004, 09:47 AM
eheh. Very cool.

sypherr
04-26-2004, 10:11 AM
StarFinder - There would only be one piece of advice i could give you, and thats to keep drawing what you want to draw.

When i was studying art etc i got alot of crits such as yours 'dont draw wolves.. wasted talent etc' and it made me stop art for over a year. I guess what im trying to say is follow your heart and block those sort of comments out.

blueput
04-26-2004, 10:50 AM
very nice!

Bangladesh
04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Beutiful!
I really like the way you put your friends into fantasy context (ie. friends as furries) in a modern setting. I like it super-much!
I used have a real hangup over making angels of my friends and people I say on the street, ie. angel rolling a cigarett, angel helping a guy as he pukes ect. It gave me a kick and your pictures reminds me of that time so much, I really like em!
The details and lighting is fantasic and although I might sound as a fanboy... I don't mind. I'm a fan. :D

Supervlieg
04-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Nice job, I like the dark one with the fluorescent lights. Good job!

Ahkahna
04-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Christina, I have to say. I have been jealous of your ability to detail and work so patiently the way you do for the longest time. Your patience is what astounds me as well as your drive to continue your work. Something a lot of us do not have.

I know people knock you down a lot, but I know you keep on plugging along whether or not you let it get to you. At any rate, I hope you get highly recognized with your art. Whether or not people believe you deserve it, I think you do. I only wish I could have the same determination and drive as you do.

-Hannah

marque-pierre
04-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Damn! You are good.:applause:

syedamin7
04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
sweet
:thumbsup: :applause:

wish I could make stuff like that when i was 15...... no wait ....... wish I could draw stuff like this at present..... real nice work. Seems like you have a thing for dogs.

cheers :beer:

jnurp
04-26-2004, 07:05 PM
astonishing job man

koroko
04-26-2004, 09:34 PM
really cool work,

love the shades on the third guy/animal īs shirt

tevih
04-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by raft
i think its really well done but
furries in abercrombie shirts
holy crap, waste of talent

Not if Abercrombie sees this and pays for it??

The fact that you mention "talent" at all shows the talent shows, which means it aint wasted!! Keep it up star! You'll go places!

Ego
05-17-2004, 07:38 PM
excellent work. Keep it up!

cr0ss
05-17-2004, 08:19 PM
hehe, absolutelly great.
nice wolf friends :p
so sweet

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.