Teriander
04-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Minisub created in Maya.

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Teriander/underWater15.jpg

ambas
04-25-2004, 02:04 AM
hmm
the "minisub" doesnt look "mini" at all
and what are dolphins doing that deep underwater?

Teriander
04-25-2004, 02:26 AM
The mini sub doesn't look mini? It's about double the size of a dolphin which is about 12-15 feet. How small do you think mini-subs are?

Also, that is not deep water. You can see the rays from the sun. You can't see sun rays in deep water.... That's why the dolphins are there. But thanks for commenting...

cathuria
04-25-2004, 03:02 AM
Mini-sub, maxi-motors:)
A good start, but... The sea floor is a little weak; and it's hard to see how the sub "works" (as in, where's the pilot, the hatches, etc.).
Nice job on the lighting, except maybe the sub's lights should be throwing volumetrics...
And the dolphins are a nice touch.

MainlineX
04-25-2004, 04:11 AM
Hey...Nice looking mini sub...Great work!

Teriander
04-25-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by cathuria
Mini-sub, maxi-motors:)
A good start, but... The sea floor is a little weak; and it's hard to see how the sub "works" (as in, where's the pilot, the hatches, etc.).
Nice job on the lighting, except maybe the sub's lights should be throwing volumetrics...
And the dolphins are a nice touch.

Thanks Cathuria,
I intended this sub to be completely automated, thus no pilots, hatches, etc.) As for the design, I just created with the flow, no visual references. Basically it's designed off my own idea of a minisub.

ksedore
04-25-2004, 06:28 AM
For me, the strongest parts of this piece are the dolphins and the lighting. The bubbles are cool, but I expect to see more debris in the water. Everything is just too clean. The rays, the texture of the sub, and definately the sea floor.

I agree with Cathuria that I would like to understand how it would work. Without and hatches or anything it looks like a toy. The lack of texturing detail on the sub probably adds to that as well.

It's a good start, but I would suggest looking at reference and seeing what things make a sub a sub. Still use your design, but integrate a few sub details, even a logo or something on the side. Also, use reference for your sea floor. It needs some seaweed and stuff. And if the point of this was to focus on the model and not the environment, than use an image as your backplate and just integrate the model.

Just some suggestions I think might help. :)

Kristin

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.