PDA

View Full Version : Scene: Hourglass

Fahad
04-24-2004, 12:59 PM
hi this is my first finished work ...

i hope this is the right place to post this, as there seems no one as novice as I am on this forum.

Most of what i've seen here is really mind blowing, my work doesn't even belong in the same forum. However, this is the result of the extent of my knowledge thus far, i've been seriously trying to learn 3D for a couple of months now, on and off (damn work :) .

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/critiques, and thanks for such a great forum.

Software used: Maya 5.0
Renered in: Mentalray
Duration: 4 hours

The sky is a polygon sphere.
The dunes are a polygon plane.
The hourglass is entirely NURBS, glass and wood.

marc001
04-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Modeling:
1. The glass need thickness. The sand inside the glass goes to the very edge.
2. Edges are sharp and need beveling on the hourglass.
3. Sand Dunes often have a ridge, a kind of crest on top.
4. The falling sand should have some particles falling away from the main stream of sand.
5. The hourglass is standing straight as if placed on a table. Since it's in the sand it should tilt.

Textures:
1. Use a texture with some kind of wood grain, maybe a varnished wood material. It will need some scratches on the edges, and outer parts where it might get rubbed.
2. The sand dunes need a sand texture.
3. Glass need imperfections, scratches, dust, finger prints. It's neccesary to break up the specularity, and reflections.

Lighting:
1. Day time or Night Time? The sky is dark, but there's plenty of light. If it's daytime, sunlight has properties such, as color, sharpness between lit and unlit areas, and parallel shadows. The shadows will be cooler with a bluish hue.

Rickmeister
04-24-2004, 10:51 PM
your on the good way!

i respect you ;) ill never would post my work here... because i am just to goddamn bad :)

What marc said where good point, try to fix those... and it would look alot better.

Fahad
04-25-2004, 01:35 AM
thanks guys for the promt response.

marc001 :

thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will surely try to improve on the points you mentioned.

As for the thickness of the glass, well it is there, it's just too thick, i think (distorting the light too much). i fiddled a bit with the properties of the glass, maybe i shouldn't exaggerate it.

i'll try and play a bit with particle effects for the sand, though i've never dared wonder to that menu before.

Yes the texture is kind of off, i believe i can do a bit better.

lighting is another area i've been avoiding, but i guess i'll just have to dive into it sooner rather than later.

thanks again for your suggestions

Vertical Vortex :

heh, man i was thinking the exact same thing before i decided to post what i have, to get the feedback, and most valuable feedback no less.

and by the way, it's good to find out that there's someone out there that's as bad as i am :p ... but i'm sure you're not all that bad :)

anyway thanks again for the fast replies

GNelke
04-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Just keep practicing, and enjoying what you do and you will be surprised at how fast you learn. Your doing good by visiting forums, you might try others that are more localized that have more beginning artist's works there that are often critiqued. Main thing is to look long and hard at things and see how you can copy that in the computer program your using.

Fahad
04-25-2004, 11:04 PM
GNelke :

thanks for the support and advice, will do

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.