PDA

View Full Version : Creating architecture in Blender

Jezait
04-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Hello blender buddies,

I've made houses and rooms before, but never known the correct way of creating one (if there is a correct way).

I presume that the same principals would apply for creating architecture in other 3d programs.

I am mainly interested in how modelling is done, but texturing etc would be helpful.

Does anyone have any resources/tips/anything on creating architecture in a 3d program?

Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Ollarin
04-24-2004, 09:49 AM
*Jumps over fence into Blender compound*

Mello!

Well, from what i know. There isn't really a fixed way to model stuff. As long as you get it done, and it looks alright. Its a success.

There are many ways to make buildings for example. You could box model it from a single primitive, then again, you could model it from a variety of different primitives. I reckon you could spline model buildings too (I haven't used splines before, so i'm just guessing.:p)

Well, i'm by far not an good texture artist, but from what i've learnt. For buildings, its very handy to use a stucci kind of bump map. Really good for simulating a wall. :thumbsup:

*Jumps back into the Wings compound* VIVA LA WINGS!!!

Apollux
04-24-2004, 06:55 PM
(Architecture Student and Blender fan speaking)

It depends on 2 things:
A.- Are you making an already existing building (i.e. you are re-builiding it on 3D)

B.- The building will be looked only from outside, or you will see it from inside also.

If you are modeling a pre-existing building then you must have the building's architectural blueprints, there is no other way around. Certainly you could try to eye-guess the whole thing, but chances are that you won't get it right (see note below).

Other option is taking a measing tape with you and measuring the structure, but that is really time consiming and no guarantee of good results.

If the building is a product of your own imagination then, you don' t need a bluprint to mach (because there isn't anything to macht it to), but it is still a good idea to draw the basic blueprints on paper and then use the drawing as a template.

For question B, the outcome is quite obvious, so I won' t comment on it.

NOTE: about eye-guessing a building, if the building won't be the center of attention then it is ok to guess the dimensions. For example, if you need to create some houses to use for background in a 3d-Game, it would be a total waste of time fallowing the actual blueprints.

Once you have the blueprints, the real ones or self made, import the image into blender and use it as reference while modeling. There are so many ways to import the images, so use the one you like the most. (I load the image as a background for the modeling window, but that is my taste. Others use a textured plane and so on.)

As a general note, trace from the top-view and then extrude upwards, always comparing to the reference images.

arangel
06-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Hereīs a tutorial I did for architectural modeling and lighting in Blender
(20 min, 7 min Flash)
:
http://www3.solar.com.br/~amgq/flash/Casa_001c.html

Apollux
06-22-2004, 05:24 AM
Interesting technique, specially with the lighting, for a moment I though it was radiosited, but no, it isn't !!! :applause:

arangel
06-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Apollux! Glad itīs helpful!

bbirras
06-23-2004, 01:35 PM
i canīt watch it!

i know you allready made quite a few more of these flash-tuts, but i could not watch a single one of them!

youīre not planning in publishing some in .avi or whatever format dowloadable ?

would be great

da lata

arangel
06-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Flash gives me much smaller file sizes. You donīt want to install Flash, or you have the plugin installed?

bbirras
06-23-2004, 06:28 PM
It takes ages to load, my connection is really bad and iīm disconnected all the time and once I reconnect, it has to start from 0 ( when I download files, at least I can continue)....in short: itīs a pain in the neck:D

I recall that somebody else wrote you something like that over at elysiun, so Iīm not the only one...... itīs a petty really, but hey itīs your joice..so donīt worry about it

does it make such a difference in file size? if you do work with win, check the wmencoder, which makes really small high quality media files.
divx at a low quality also is not a bad alternative.
do you prefer small-sized files in order to save web-space/traffic?

arangel
06-23-2004, 08:53 PM
do you prefer small-sized files in order to save web-space/traffic?Yes. But Iīll look up other alternatives.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.